How do I list a Kitchenette with no sink?

Answered!
Kathleen616
Level 2
Spokane, WA

How do I list a Kitchenette with no sink?

Hello 🙂 

I am about to go live with my first Airbnb. I have a little kitchenette island with pretty blue pine shelves and storage underneath. There's a Keurig, Tea Kettle, Microwave, Fridge/Freezer and amenities for light cooking.  The bath sink is available for water a few steps away.

The listing pages do not designate the type of facilities available, which seems an oversight for such an important amenity. I don't want guests arriving and thinking they have full access kitchen if I check the Kitchen box. But I don't want to lose guests if they see there is no kitchen and maybe don't see or read it in an undesignated section elsewhere in the listing. It would be great if there was an amenities section that clarified for the guest what they can expect to have access to.

What is the experience with this ... and why should it be listed one way vs the other??    Thanks Much 🙂

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kathleen616  A friend of mine has much the same set-up in a corner of the large living room area in her in-home private Airbnb suite. She leaves a plastic tote in there for guests to put the dirty dishes in, which she retrieves and washes, so guests don't have to do dishes in the small bathroom sink, possibly plugging it up with food remnants. She gets short stay guests, mostly.

I'd put a little description of the kitchenette in the first part of your listing description, so guests read it before zoning out, as many guests don't thoroughly read. Then a photo of it in your gallery with a caption that makes it clear there is no full kitchen. Also reiterate in messages to guests when they book or request to book.

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Deborah350
Level 7
Grafton, Australia

Call it a coffee station with extras. Just be aware some guests think food and bathrooms don't mix.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kathleen616  A friend of mine has much the same set-up in a corner of the large living room area in her in-home private Airbnb suite. She leaves a plastic tote in there for guests to put the dirty dishes in, which she retrieves and washes, so guests don't have to do dishes in the small bathroom sink, possibly plugging it up with food remnants. She gets short stay guests, mostly.

I'd put a little description of the kitchenette in the first part of your listing description, so guests read it before zoning out, as many guests don't thoroughly read. Then a photo of it in your gallery with a caption that makes it clear there is no full kitchen. Also reiterate in messages to guests when they book or request to book.

Perfect. Thank you. Have done part of what you suggest. I'll update a couple of things and then post. Have a great Holiday!!  Thanks again. 🙂

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kathleen616 as @Sarah977 says, we have a similar set up. I name the appliances individually and leave a washing-up bowl for dirty crockery and cutlery so the bathroom sink doesn't get food waste in it.

eta I lust after one of these

Kitchen in a cupboard!Kitchen in a cupboard!

Love the kitchen cupboard!  Lol. Pretty cool. 🙂

Great advice, thank you.  When you say you list separately, is that in the body of the description... or is there a specific place to list in kitchen amenities?  The only place I've found is to include it in a written description. Check boxes would be really nice.  🙂

Thanks for your time and your help.  Have a great New Years Eve!  🙂   d

We’re also about to launch in a few weeks with exactly the same situ. Love this kitchen in a cabinet. Glad others are having success with the option of leaving something for guest to put their dirty dishes in so we can wash them avoiding bathroom sink stoppages. We’re on a septic system up in Malibu so have to be very careful. 

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kathleen616 I describe it in my listing which you can see if you click on my username and look at my airbnb profile. X

Jp8
Level 3
San Diego, CA

AirBnb has now kindly added Kitchenette as a room option.

I guess the combination of a cooking corner (microwave, hotplate, fridge) - along with a plastic tub to wash dishes, in lieu of the bathroom sink - stills counts as a sort of kitchenette.