How do you file a complaint against a host?

Answered!
Tammy37
Level 4
United States

How do you file a complaint against a host?

Had a confirmed booking, had already paid, then the host said he wanted $100 in cash on arrival as a surcharge.  We disagreed, but eventually cancelled, since we knew he would eventually cancel us out so he could gouge someone else.  

Because we cancelled, we have to eat the service charge.

Two questions:

1) how do we file a complaint against this host?

2) How can we petition to get the host to eat the service charge?

thanks,

Tammy

1 Best Answer
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

If in the future you should ever need to cancel because of a host issue (it will probably never happen again, but anyway...) call Airbnb FIRST and let them cancel it for you, they will take appropriate action and you will not have to claim back the service charge.

Better to do it that way around, since you have to contact them anyway. If a host cancels, you get full refund and maybe even a little travel credit as a perk and comfort from Airbnb.

The host, on the other hand, gets slapped with a fine which is a reason why hosts do not want to cancel!

I wish all hosts just got on with doing the job we are here to do, rather than trying on a little scam on the side.

Better luck next time!

View Best Answer in original post

310 Replies 310
Dina564
Level 2
Bristol, United Kingdom

host forced me to cancel as he doesn't have a vacant place, was so rude, and said no money or place, the b&b are not helping or responding, I was frauded 

Dina564
Level 2
Bristol, United Kingdom

The host is called Nabel in Cairo, Doqqi, so rude and just took my money and threatened me if i dont do things his own way, then no room or money, he forced me to cancel to avoid fees, was extremely rude

Dina564
Level 2
Bristol, United Kingdom

host acted super cheaply, paid only 12 pounds from 17 deducted because of his fault and called me crying baby for asking for them

Never seen such a cheap situation while booking

Derek157
Level 3
England, United Kingdom

Good morning everybody.  Simple (I hope) question.  I wish to send a lengthy complaint to AirBnB concerning the attitude and behaviour of a Host, which totally soured the last two days of our holiday.  I tried "Report this listing" and after writing War and Peace pressed Submit.  Sorry - you are only allowed 1000 characters!  I can't shorten my novel, so how do I get it to Customer Services so somebody can take notice?

@Derek157 Whilst I am sure you had a bad experience there is little to be gained by complaining to Airbnb at this stage. Far more powerful is to leave an honest review for your stay so other guests are pre-warned about the hosts behaviour. Keep it honest and in compliance with the review rules or it may get deleted.

So I just let the Host raise a charge against me for cleaning when we left the place cleaner than we found it, ignore the dangerous electric socket, forget that the two children with us were so frightened by the guy's behaviour and attitude that they asked to sit in the car while he stood like a prison guard watching us pack up? And actually called me a liar twice to my face.  This went beyond "a bad experience"!

@Derek157 As I said previously - An honest (but poor) review will have far more effect than complaining to Airbnb especially if you didn't report the dangerous socket at the time. I assume he will have little success in claiming extra for cleaning.

@Derek157  Airbnb would't even bother to read something that's as long as a novel even if it didn't exceed the word count. Anything can be condensed- state issues as simply and briefly as possible, in bullet point form rather than long paragraphs. No one is interested in reading a blow-by-blow of every gritty detail.

Keep this in mind when you write the review- keep it brief and stick to the facts. "Host was extremely rude" suffices, as opposed to an entire paragraph of exactly what you said to the host and what the host said to you. If you write a half page review, not only will almost no one care to plow through it, it usually ends up making the writer of the review, be it host or guest, appear to be somewhat unhinged., so defeats the purpose, which is to warn others. 

Derek157
Level 3
England, United Kingdom

Thank you all for your advice.  I have written a fairly lengthy and not very complimentary review.  Unbeknown to me, because of course I couldn't see it, he had written a prior review in which I was described as a "profiteer and liar".  I stand on my record as an experienced AirBnB Host and will be judged by that.

@Derek157  He gave out your last name in his response to your review - I wonder if you can get Airbnb to remove that.

Derek157
Level 3
England, United Kingdom

Quite honestly Ann, I am not really concerned whether anybody reading my own reviews knows who I am, and if anybody wants to ask me any questions or challenge any of my statements I am happy to answer them.  But thanks for your concern.

Cassandra186
Level 2
Anchorage, AK

My experience with Airbnb... last message I sent to Airbnb below - would appreciate any advice this forum has to get my refund issue resolved - thx! 
I have been trying for over 2 months to get my cleaning refund, which was promised to me, in writing, via Airbnb chat/text, by my host(s) (Re: Dallas Galleria Apartment, stay July 1-15, 2020). This refund was supposed to have been applied on July 4, 2020, due to me having to clean after check in. When the refund did not show in the Airbnb app, after 5 days, I contacted Airbnb on 7/9. The customer service agent (Tracey A) said she would forward my issue and I would hear back from someone soon. I waited another 9 days and called again on 7/18. I was told by customer service agent (Kristine H) that my issue was not forwarded correctly by the first agent and she would mark my complaint urgent and I would hear from someone soon (she indicated verbally a few days). I received a phone call, 11 days later, by customer service agent (Vannray W) on 7/29. He told me to reply to the Airbnb email thread and include any pictures of the Dallas Galleria Apartment. I sent the requested email, with pictures, that same day, 7/29. Vannray W told me on the phone, I should expect to hear from someone in a few days, but his follow up email said “as soon as possible”. I waited another week + and called Airbnb, on 8/7 and was given basically the same responses by another customer service agent, Anna A. It is now over a month from the last time I called and no one has bothered to get back with me. I called today, 9/9 and now I am unable to speak with a human being... the call was disconnected and I was sent a bot link. I am profoundly disappointed by Airbnb’s total lack of care or concern for my ongoing issue. I have spent in the last year, $20,000 dollars, with Airbnb and have been very well reviewed by previous hosts. After this experience with Airbnb, I cancelled in August, the last 2 upcoming trips I had previously booked from September through early January. I have been courteous through this whole process and do not deserve this treatment. I have lost confidence and will not use your platform again, until I get this issue resolved. I was a loyal Airbnb customer, but dealing with this lack of follow through over a simple cleaning refund is unacceptable. Is this really worth losing a loyal customer and future business? I am genuinely baffled by this whole experience. I will also send this response to the ongoing email thread, started on July 9, 2020. I hope someone from this company will take the small amount of time needed to reconcile this complaint. Thank you.”

@Cassandra186  I don't know if it would get your issue resolved, but one thing I can tell you is that a message to CS written like that will pretty much guarantee that you will be put on the back burner.

You have to make it easy for them, not send them long run-on paragraphs. Lay it out really simply, like this:

Refund issue. (I am a guest)

Return of cleaning fee due to me having to clean dirty unit on arrival.

Stay: July 1-15 Reservation code XXXX

Promised cleaning fee refund on July X, to be processed on July 4.

7/9  Called to CS. Told by agent Tracy case would be forwarded. 

7/18. Called again, due to no CS response. Spoke to Kristine H, who told me case had not been              forwarded correctly by previous agent.

Etc, etc.

Short sentences (forget your teachers drilling you about complete sentences, with subject, verb, and object 🙂 ), bullet point form, chronological order. Fine to put your last paragraph, stating your feeling about ever using Airbnb again at the end, but try to pare that down as well.

The important thing is to make the case timeline really easy to read. Many of these CS agents aren't even particularly fluent in English, and I believe that the simpler you ca make their job, the faster they will deal with it. Long messages in paragraph form probably get shuffled to the bottom of the pile.

Good luck, hope you are able to get a resolution.

@Sarah977  Thank you for your time and advice - I appreciate it! 😊 I will make it more concise and resend. I hope it works. Although, everyone I spoke with, spoke perfect English - all but one, sounded American. Thanks again and have a great day!

@Sarah977    The Bot link came back with a message that the case was closed.? I have in writing vía Airbnb app that the host promised to refund cleaning fee and I sent pictures of her dirty apartment. Wow. I can’t talk to anyone and the Bot won’t follow through either. How do I make a complaint against this host and Airbnb?