How to decline guest | excess alcohol consumption

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

How to decline guest | excess alcohol consumption

Hello All,

hope you are well. 
like most of you I enjoy the odd glass of wine or better yet cocktail but when travelling especially in Airbnb I avoid excess consumption. 

I have a returning guest who I have “blocked” but is still able to communicate and send reservation requests- now contents to the above. Whenever he stays even if it’s for one night he leaves excess alcohol bottles in the bin inside his room, once he stayed one night only and managed to get through 3 wine bottles (2l each) and 4 ciders. In all truth and honesty I think he had someone over but cannot prove it as I have since lost footage from out outdoor CCTV camera (disclosed). 

having had to physically wonder through west London trying to locate a previous guest, to find him sleeping on our staircase and then having to physically put him into bed- I put that any consumption of excess alcohol throughout the guest stay is not permitted as to avoid any potential anti social behaviour etc

Now I have to decline his request but how would you suggest I word it? I have been told that I am a tad too formal and upfront and obviously do not want to offend if he does have issues with alcohol as addiction is a very hard thing but there is also an element of concern for my safety and my other guests. 

any assistance is greatly appreciated- thank you in advance.

yadira 🙂

20 Replies 20
Kira32
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

Dear @Yadira22 

You can just say to him that you do not feel comfortable having him inside your home  but you do not have to be specific otherwise you'll end up with a yes and no game. 

Keep it short!

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Kira32 

thanks for the note. 
I simply said “thank you for the request but we cannot fulfil this request- good luck”. Straight up no without a need to define reasons. 
Thank you for the advice.

Yadira 🙂

Jeremy100
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Maybe try ‘please stay somewhere else’ might do the trick!  Although it is your home and it’s up to you who you share it with.  I do find your question slightly odd.

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Jeremy100 

as mentioned previously we have no personal issues with alcohol but some reservations with people’s behaviour change when they over indulge on it. 
The fact that I once had to not only found one of my guests sleeping on the staircase but then had to physically put him in bed is very unlikely to happen again but something I have experienced already and have no desire to repeat. Normally we would have left him there but he was literally asleep with his head backwards and on the way- if he vomited (which I saw he did that night) and in that position- it would have been a very serious matter. You may find it odd but this was an actual experience of mine. 

The guest in question- would consume about 2/3 2L bottles of wine, a six pack plus, despite being by “himself” which I truly doubt but was unable to capture him with someone. On his last stay I had to physically wake him up from his nap as he had overstayed his stay by several hours due to sleeping off his hangover.  No apologies, no acknowledgement just ok... bye, see you soon. 

i hope you never have to experience this as a host and as one who rents out whole places- this is probably unlikely as groups generally take care of their own. But cleaning stained sheets of bodily fluids, broken furniture or plates from those incidents is a potential you are faced with as are we when excess alcohol is involved.

the post was made to better advice on how to deal with my own situation but also maybe help someone out there. Either way good luck to you! 

Jeremy100
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

I think there are behaviour that cross the acceptability line and everyone has there own line.  The reason I found it odd was that it is quite clear that you put yourself at risk by your actions of assisting/helping this chap (having him back to stay not saving his life by moving his head)  Also it could impact on other guests.  There is no doubt that he unfortunately has a few issues but you are a host letting guests into your property and running a business.  I find it odd that you did not want to offend him by turning him away from future stays but from what you have said he was not of the same mindset.  To put it simply, twice he has let you down and not treated you with respect but you don’t want to offend him.  From what I read he seems quite thick skinned, I really don’t think he will notice.  Or give him a third chance and let him stay again!

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Jeremy100 

as mentioned above probably not quite so clearly- these are two separate guests. 

1. Guest who slept on the staircase, he was blocked and Airbnb closed his account (based on what they said)

2. was the guest returning- first stay was ok and the second was  not ok. He has not come back since- he just enquired again to which I rejected. 

but thank you for your input.