How to handle Guest Negotiated Rates vs Listed Rates

Wendy90
Level 2
Gainesville, FL

How to handle Guest Negotiated Rates vs Listed Rates

Many of the inquiries I am receiving are asking for discounted rates.  Or, they simply offer $2-10 less per night.  Is this as common as it seems?  If so, how does this get handled so AirBnB charges them correct amount?

Wendy

5 Replies 5
Paola4
Level 10
Rome, Italy

@Wendy90

first of all of course is up to you if according a discount.Consider the request, the lenght, the services you provide to your guests  and then if you like you can give your discount.

If you decided to accord it, then you have to send them a special offer with the new total plus your cleaning fee, if foreseen.

In this way Airbnb will handle the discount adding of course its fee.

Hope this help :))

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

As a general rule of thumb such booking are exactly what you do not want, such people tend to be a paind and expect everything for nothing.

You do not charge that much, wait for better quality business.

David
Sharon114
Level 10
Lincoln, United Kingdom

David I couldn't agree more.  I do not offer discounts as I consider my listings to be competitively priced.  Last year I had a student nurse ask if I could reduce my rate from £38 per night to £15 for a 2 night stay as it was all she could afford.  Sorry but I am not a charity.

James1
Level 10
SF, CA

After five years of hosting I've learned a few red flags to identify potential troublesome guests. The biggest and most common red flag is asking for a discount. I now have a hard and fast rule, ask for a discount and you get politely declined with something like this:

"Hi, thanks for your interest in our place. I don't think we are the best match. I'm sure you will find a nice place that better suits your needs. Have a great trip." When I say "better suits your needs" I mean cheaper.

One of the most surprising and gauling things I've noticed over the years, when I used to offer a discount (when asked), a high percentage of these people then asked for another discount! It usually went something like this:

"Hi, we just love your place but it's over the top of our budget, do you think you could give us a discount?"

I give them a 15% discount

"Thanks you so much. The thing is we're students and we are really neat and clean, could you maybe waive the cleaning fee?"

... sheesh, could I eat one potato chip? The answer to both is no.

David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

It seems universal advice from experienced hosts that guests that ask for a discount can be difficult guests. I politely decline and say our we offer quality and value….but no discounts. Cheers from paradise. David