How to prevent bleached sheets from acne medication

Allison371
Level 2
Dallas, TX

How to prevent bleached sheets from acne medication

Hi- Does anyone have a good way to proactively deal with guests who use acne medication? We have too many sets of ruined sheets. We are thinking of leaving a note in each bedroom that states we will charge for ruined sheets. We are also considering leaving one set of white sheets out for this purpose. We have figured out that dish soap gets rid of grease type stains in the sheets. But the acne medication seems to be the biggest problem. Thanks!

5 Replies 5
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

There are so many different skin lotions and make-up lotions that cause staining, I only use white sheets.  While some stains will not come out ever, it is easier to get rid of the one sheet that is affected rather than the whole set if you use white.

Thanks Linda. This might be a silly question but does the bleach from acne medication discolor white sheets as well? 

Allison371
Level 2
Dallas, TX

Has anyone successfully charged for ruined sheets? 

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@Allison371 

We just went through about 10 bath sheets ($$$) that are all stained with benzoyl peroxide medication. It's an orange bleached out stain that is obviously even on white towels. 

I have stitched a red line on the corner of these stained towels so I know which are already stained. If new ones pop up stained that are NOT stitched with red, I will know that it's a newly stained towel and will charge them. We folded up all of the stained ones and put them in a basket in a bedroom closet. We have added a little note on the back of the toilet that reads: "If you or anyone in your group uses skin products with benzoyl peroxide, please use the clean and folded towels in the closet of the bedroom". 

We have not requested reimbursement from guests yet but will do so going forward. We note this in our house rules so they are aware of this when booking. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

I have never had a problem with acne medication. I use solely white sheets. But I did have a problem with dryer sheets leaving grease like stains.