How would you define the guest with almost 50 reviews (5-star) and only a few left for the hosts?

Jasmina17
Level 4
Tuzla, Bosnia and Herzegovina

How would you define the guest with almost 50 reviews (5-star) and only a few left for the hosts?

Since all hosts' activities and efforts are evaluated, should the same practice be applied to guests? 

24 Replies 24
Jasmina17
Level 4
Tuzla, Bosnia and Herzegovina

I have been Airbnb host for two years and it was only recently that I have noticed some guests simply do not leave reviews for their hosts. I was surprised to see that this kind of guests are even elderly people who seem polite and well rounded persons. So, I have decided to review some guests only after they leave their reviews or in case of unrespectful behaviour when I only point out positive experience but give lower rates.
I think this is fair on wonderful 5* guests who leave your flat in such condition that you are able to welcome new guests after an hour.

@Jasmina17  As far as elderly people not leaving reviews, a lot of older folks aren't particularly adept at digital stuff. They may have even enlisted the help of a family member to figure out how to open an Airbnb account and book their stay. They are often most comfortable communicating by phone call rather than online or text. So writing a review, especially when its now pages of stuff for the guests to fill out may be rather intimidating or they may not even see those notifications to review because they aren't staring at their smart phone screen all day or checking their email, or even notice a small notification symbol on their account. They grew up in the days when guests left comments in guest books, or left a card of thanks. Online reviews didn't exist.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Also, you receive a review if you are a known guest on a reservation but you can only leave a review if you’re the booking guest...

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I don't get the cat/mouse game of waiting for reviews until you give one. If I stay with a host who's a serial non-reviewer, they'll see it in the review I leave them (and an appropriate star rating for communication).

@Gordon0 But you will never know of the guests I have not reviewed. I have reviewed every single guest who has reviewed me ... but if they haven't reviewed me then the stay floats off into nothingness and cannot be traced. Do you have also leave a similar review for guests who are known not to review their hosts? 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thankfully, @Emilia42, I don't have reason to compose a message for non-reviewing guests because the vast majority (I'd say 95%+) leave me a review. As for the non-reviewing host, a quick flick through their review history (the Google extension helps) paints a picture. 

@Gordon0

If you stay with a host who doesn't usually leave reviews, you will leave them a bad review? Just because they don't write all of their guests reviews? Why? How does/did that impact your stay with them? And how do you know that they won't leave you a review at some point? To presume they won't leave you a review because they usually don't write reviews and hurt their rating because of an assumption isn't really fair. Is that some form of punishment to them because they haven't left all of their previous guests reviews and you have the personal opinion that all hosts show leave most of their previous guest reviews? That seems pretty self-righteous.

And my second curiosity is, why would you book with a host in the first place if you know they are "serial non reviewers" if you so strongly disagree with this and then leave them a bad rating having gone into it knowing how they host?

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

>>If you stay with a host who doesn't usually leave reviews, you will leave them a bad review?<<
No, I didn't say that.

>>Why? How does/did that impact your stay with them? And how do you know that they won't leave you a review at some point?<<
I'm talking serial non-reviewers, and one in particular I'm thinking of has has hosted 150+ guests, yet not left a single review. This is laziness, and poor overall communication (it's a package we're buying, not just a bed).

>>And how do you know that they won't leave you a review at some point? To presume they won't leave you a review because they usually don't write reviews and hurt their rating because of an assumption isn't really fair.<<
See above.

>>Is that some form of punishment to them because they haven't left all of their previous guests reviews and you have the personal opinion that all hosts show leave most of their previous guest reviews?<<
I'm talking hosts who haven't left any of their guests a review, and there are more than you'd think. 

>>That seems pretty self-righteous.<<
Thank you, @Sean433, I will wear that as a badge of honour, and proudly.

>>And my second curiosity is, why would you book with a host in the first place if you know they are "serial non reviewers" if you so strongly disagree with this and then leave them a bad rating having gone into it knowing how they host?<<
It's not a bad rating, it's a dink. I'd hope they'd learn from it.  

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Proof - as if it were needed - that Airbnb's ratings and review system is not fit for purpose. I wonder how many of those hosts gave the guest a 5* review, not based on his/her true worth as a guest, but simply because they were hoping the guest would reciprocate.

It's only a matter of time until the ability to review guests is taken away from us anyway. The vast majority of guests hate being reviewed - the way they see it (understandably), is that they're paying good money for a nice trip away, so why should they have to stress about what a neurotic or pernickety host might have to say about them in a public review on the internet?  (And let's face it, some hosts go way over the top in complaining about the tiniest of guest "transgressions")

Quite simply, hosts reviewing guests is yet another barrier to maximising bookings, and in the run up to going public, Airbnb are already eliminating those barriers, one by one. Shouldn't be long now until mysterious "glitches" start preventing hosts from leaving negative reviews of their most troublesome guests. 

Very good point @Susan17. You are right, I am surprised Airbnb even allows hosts to review guests.