I left a "negative" review for a host and they responded with an accusation. Suggestions?

Answered!
Arushi3
Level 2
Chicago, IL

I left a "negative" review for a host and they responded with an accusation. Suggestions?

I had my first negative experience at an Airbnb so I wrote a review and gave it the number of stars I thought was appropriate. I gave a detailed description of why my review was negative since most other previous guests at this location had given the host outstanding reviews.

I saw the host gave me a great recommendation and said that my friend and I had left the place in order and would recommend me as a guest in the future. However, after they saw my review, they sent me some unpleasant messages on WhatsApp, including one berating me for "breaking their coffee machine". I told them that this was not possible as I had not made coffee or even touched the machine. (We hadn't even used any of their kitchen appliances!) I saw they also wrote this as a response to my review on their page.

Is there anything I can do in this situation? Should I take any steps or just let this be?

1 Best Answer
Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

The good news is that other hosts won't see their "she broke our coffee machine" comment unless they do some clicking, and as time goes on, scouring across the many reviews for that stay. Most hosts will never see their rebuttal.

As far as the coffee machine, if they make a damage claim, I'd say that you have a pretty good argument that this was just a retaliation lie.

In the future, consider shooting video of the state of the place before you check out. This is what I do as a host before each guest checks in!

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Arushi3  It's very unprofessional of the host to send you nasty messages on Whatsapp or at all, simply because they didn't like your review. And coming up with the coffee machine comment after the fact is ridiculous. 

I have to say I found your complaints rather petty, though. You booked a place in the tropics, on the beach. Of course there are insects, it comes with the territory. Also you said you were reticent to use the toilet, but it isn't clear if it actually worked or not. The fact that it worked "weirdly" isn't cause for complaint if it actually functioned. And just because the shower curtain was pink along the bottom doesn't mean it was moldy- perhaps it was just discolored. Posting an assumption as a complaint isn't really fair to the host.

I understand why you think the complaint was petty. However, I've stayed in many houses/apartments in many countries (which can also be seen by my host's reviews and my great reviews for them!) and I don't think any guests should have to compromise on cleanliness.

There are many ways to mitigate bugs especially given that it IS a tropical area. For the toilet, not notifying us until we arrived that there may be some issues with it was not fair to us either. We were worried that it may overflow or get clogged at the slightest disruption. As far as the shower curtain goes, that is almost certainly pink mildew. This happens all the time to shower curtain liners, is very common, and is a sign that the liner should be replaced. This seems like it should be a common courtesy.

Nakayama0
Level 8
Oyabe, Japan

There is nothing to act now. But some hosts will seek what other hosts said about you when you booked other premises, your request for booking is likely to be rejected even if this host does not say truth.

It is a sign of existing some trouble for other hosts to avoid, including you gave a bad ratings to this host.

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

The good news is that other hosts won't see their "she broke our coffee machine" comment unless they do some clicking, and as time goes on, scouring across the many reviews for that stay. Most hosts will never see their rebuttal.

As far as the coffee machine, if they make a damage claim, I'd say that you have a pretty good argument that this was just a retaliation lie.

In the future, consider shooting video of the state of the place before you check out. This is what I do as a host before each guest checks in!

Rebecca1514
Level 2
Florida, United States

@Nakayama0  @Arushi3  It’s sad we cannot give honest reviews for fear of being rejected for future bookings. I myself hate two sentence reviews that tell me nothing, what’s the point?! If I am reading the reviews is because I want detailed information that I can’t get from the listing. I realize some it might be biased but you weigh it against the sum total of the reviews. @Sarah977 

I found this conversation because I got to thinking a few years ago I left a honest review and the host replied publicly pretty much insulting me for my review. Part of my review made clear that we as guests had chosen to go to this area without  researching that in a particular month of the year the village closes down and therefore nothing was within walking distance. I made it clear it was our mistake but I also wanted to warn other guests about that particular time of year. I said it felt like a scary movie with all the houses all boarded up, all silence and nothing open to which the host took exception to. I also mentioned that the listing clearly stated there was no AC which was clearly accurate as there was no air flow and quite hot. There were a few other remarks I made but I expressed myself with respect and honesty. The owner replied quickly, her reply was heated and besides lots of other things she basically said don’t come back. Those were her actual words, don’t come back. Lol. I don’t know if I had the ability to reply but I just let it go. Nothing is won by a war of words. Future guests will read my review, hosts reply and judge accordingly. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Rebecca1514  An Airbnb review is  meant to be a review of the accommodation itself and the host. It is not the place to talk about the fact that it was off-season and most local venues were closed or that because of that you found the town "scary", or to warn future guests about something that had nothing to do with the particular accommodation you booked. That is info for travel books and brochures and nothing to do with the review you leave for a host.

Rebecca1514
Level 2
Florida, United States

@Sarah977 I appreciate that is what most hosts would want but as a guest I have to disagree.

This is from the Airbnb website:

The best reviews are helpful ones. Think about what you’d want to know before booking a stay or welcoming someone into your place. Highlight things like:

• Your interactions with your guest, Host, and their associates—were they pleasant and respectful?
  • Anything that made the stay special, EX: cleanliness, personal touches, convenience, amazing coffee
  • Practical info: Was the Host helpful and available? Were you thrilled with the location? Was the listing accurate?

Was I thrilled with the location or convenience? No, everything is closed in July and nothing is within walking distance. Sure, I added my own feelings about it feeling scary. But it’s my opinion, ppl can take it or leave it. Owners should not feel personally insulted.

@Rebecca1514  All of those things you quoted above have to do with the accommodation and the host, not general comments about the area.

You chose to book in that town, and as long as the host didn't misrepresent the property or the location in their ad, it was your responsibility to research what goes on in that area at that time of year and ask the host questions about things that might be a deal breaker for you before committing to a booking. 

Would you like a host to leave a review for you that talked about them not liking the make of car you drive, that a guest had what the host considered "scary" tattoos, that you wore too much make-up, or something else totally irrelevant to the guest's behavior or communications?

I know everyone these days seems to think their "opinion" of everything is hugely interesting and important to others, but it's not.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Rebecca1514  While I don’t think the host should have left a heated reply, I find it arrogant to warn other people about something that was entirely - and admittedly - your failure.  I had a guest this year who rented my house on 12 acres in rural Maine warn other guests that “they might have to drive a bit to get to activities.”  No duh, moron.  He was literally the only guest in 7 years who had not figured that out ahead of time.  Why did he assume other people were as clueless as he was?  Because he was arrogant.  You don’t even have to thoroughly research an area to find out what you need to know.  The listing, the previous reviews, the area guidebooks all have lots of info and clues to even the most moderately alert person.  In fact all Airbnb guidebooks are public - all you have to do is Google the place name and Airbnb guidebook and you’ll find one.

I don’t think you’re a moron, and I don’t think that host was right, but I think you could have been a little more chill about the whole experience.  A sense of adventure makes life more fun.