I need Help with correct reporting procedure please!

Answered!
Antonio324
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I need Help with correct reporting procedure please!

I had these two guys staying for nine days. They left yesterday without checking out. Although I spoke to them the night before and they informed me, they would have checked out at 11 am, at 8 am I went out to the shop, and when I got back, they had left. I was stunned to see that because they had borrowed a couple of items (Oyster card and my MacBook) I was expecting to have them returned personally and they were meant to pay a taxi fare for a Uber taxi they asked me to book for them.
So I went to the room, hoping to find everything left in there. Unfortunately, I found nothing pleasant. The room was upside down, rubbish everywhere, and coffee/ chocolate milkshake or something else of a brown colour splashed on the wall under the window and the window stool and apron.
There was no money left for the cab and no oyster card of course. My MacBook was there, however very badly damaged and not working. The screen is completely cracked, and it does not respond to any turning on procedure. It looks like they walked all over it.
I cannot believe this has happened. I am shocked, angry, upset. I was hoping you could suggest what to do.
Thanks so much in advance.

1 Best Answer

@Antonio324

That's a great start, well done. Don't feel stupid - you know you can't imagine how bad some people can act because you are not like that. So - get even instead. 

Have you gotten in touch with Airbnb yet?

Very important to get in touch immediately. From what you have said - the mess in the room won't add up to much claim wise - but in my opinion (and sorry I am not a case manager - just another host trying to help out in the community forum) the pics of the before and after will help with the claim for the taxi, oyster card and macbook - IF you can pull together enough evidence to prove some things.

1. Did you have any communication with the guests via Airbnb texts (always try to do this - especially if you 'loan' or provide any extra services like Uber taxis etc)?

2. Have you written to the guests (politely) saying something like - Sorry you checked out early as I wanted to say goodbye, but I noticed you did not leave the payment for the Uber & Oystercard as we had previously agreed, and there was damage to the Macbook I had lent you..... I will be estimating the repair/replacement costs right away and will send you a payment request using the Airbnb resolution system, which Airbnb will take out of your security deposit (even though this isn't quite accurate - they don't need to know this - just get it all in writing if you haven't done so already).

3. You mentioned 'current' guests....... when did they check in and did you get in touch with Airbnb before they did?

Happy to help out Antonio - just let us/me know if you want more advice on tis one - or at least let us know what you ended up doing and any response from Airbnb - your unfortunate experience might just help another host prevent it happening to them.

Cheers!

View Best Answer in original post

15 Replies 15

Where can I write to airbnb about guests.

I gave my guests a great review  before I had really looked at anything. I would like to take my recc poo mendation back...otherwise other hosts could get hurt. It wasn't catastrophic ...but they lied about the number of people and ruined a comforter and a curtain and left mud and dog hair and ate more food and got more dishes dirty than  seems possible from two paying guests.