I need to report a fake profile, but I also want to get reimbursed for damages by that guest

Ellie96
Level 2
Minneapolis, MN

I need to report a fake profile, but I also want to get reimbursed for damages by that guest

I'm a new Airbnb host and I am having problems with people throwing some pretty big parties at my unit. So I guess I really have two questions. 

First, what preventative measures has anyone taken to prevent guests from throwing parties? 

Second, I had a guest book recently and he said he would be in town visiting family and there would be no more than 4 people staying (4 is my max). On the night of his reservation, I get a call from a neighbor (my unit is for rental only, I live about 20 minutes away) saying that there seems to be a large party going on and they look pretty young. I call the guest and he admits there is a party and that he will get everyone out. I told him that he and 3 other people could stay, but I would stop by to confirm. When I got there, he was gone and I called him again and he said he would not be back. So I went in to survey the damage. The place reeked of weed (my neighbor said she could smell it from INSIDE her restaurant across the street) and there was weed and tobacco all over the counter, in the bathroom, in the bed, and ground into the carpet. There was also serious damage to the hardwood floors, and my smart lock was missing a piece. The next day, I went to my Airbnb booking confirmation to see what my options were for reimbursement, and it turns out he changed his name! 

So now that you have some background on the situation, what do I do?? Obviously, this is a fake profile (I'm not even sure what his real name is!), and I do have a screenshot from my smart lock system that shows his name before he changed it, and now I have the new name in my bookings. So I would like to report the profile, but I would also like to get reimbursed for the damages. If I report the profile, does that remove it and then I no longer have that booking to get reimbursement from? What would be the appropriate steps to take? Please help! 

24 Replies 24
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ellie96

Hi, sorry to hear what happened - here are a few observations first on your profile which may be helpful

You advertise microbreweries as your headline and further down, with a exclamation mark say ' 'The place is yours to enjoy!' 

You also do 1 nighters - and a beautiful open plan space like yours is a magnet for everyone (including bad guests)

All of this together will invite the party type.

I would focus much more on the art/events etc and be a bit more 'grown up' in your description. I would also remove the 'smartlock' feature. You can tell them about check in closer to the arrival date.

I also think that a little  white lie about where you live is no harm. You give quite detailed information on when you are about and close by. I would remove that and say something like I am adjacent to the property and within very easy reach at all times.

You are not using instant book - which is good, so don't be afraid to ask questions about why they are in the area, etc - how many people (adults/children etc). 

I would change your house rule regarding extra guests to: Strictly no other guests on the property at any time other  than those registered with the owner, or agreed in advance with the owner.

Also I don't see that you have a security deposit in place - but I may be wrong on that as I have not gone through all the screens.

You need to raise a claim under the old profile and after 48 hours, involve AirBnB and you can then tell them about the profile. AirBnB will expect you to have photographic evidence plus professional estimates for repair/cleaning etc. 

Even then, if you didnt have a security deposit in place, your chances of getting money from the guest  are close to nil. Even if you did have it would seem to me like the guest is good a games and you will end up stressed out trying to get anything back.

An alternative is your own insurance: I assume you have host insurance for holiday lets? If not then definitely something you should consider.

Hello @Gerry-And-Rashid0

Thank you so much for the helpful advice! I really appreciate your analysis of my listing; it's hard to give that type of evaluation myself! I will definitely be making some changes based on your suggestions.

I do have another question regarding security deposits. I do not have one right now. The reason I don't is because as I was researching how they work, mostly what I was finding is that you can say you charge it, but when something actually happens, it is still very difficult to get Airbnb to release it to you. So from my understanding, it wasn't actually going to be helpful. But maybe I misunderstood and you could explain to me how security deposits really work and if you think they are helpful. Thanks again!

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Ellie96

I agree that claiming against a security deposit is hard. However, it does send a signal to the guest  - more importantly, party people usually look for a place with no security deposit. So that in itself is very important.

Remember that the deposit is not physically taken off their card - it's just an agreement that in the case of damage, which the guest accepts, they will pay an agreed sum (to be agreed between you - and perhaps with AirBnB's involvement)

Not sure if you do this, but put aside a small amount from every booking, so that you can cope with any minor accidents and wear and tear. Saves you a lot of hassle to not chase for the minor accidental things.

You have great reviews so I think a bit of rewording and beefing up your rules will make a big difference.

Do you know if there is a general recommendation on the amount/percentage that the security deposit should be?

Gregory87
Level 10
Minneapolis, MN

Welcome to Airbnb @Ellie96.  

I'm a local host from the Twin Cities as well, so I'm familiar with the area you're describing.  Your rental is beautiful and the location perfect for visiting microbreweries and eating at the up and coming latino restaurants next door.

@Gerry-And-Rashid0 provide some good points about your listing.  They are absolutely correct that you should give the impression that you are nearby at all times.  Don't share when you are around or not.  Potential guests investigate whether they'll have free reign of your property due to lack of supervision.

Some other items that I notice are:

• virtually all of your guests have been local visitors (their profiles indicate that they reside in the Metro area).  You should either avoid accepting them OR screen them very carefully as to why they want to book with you since they live nearby. Often times, local guests plan to host an event/activities for which they wouldn't hold or allow in their own home.

• you state that there are no parties allowed and there is a limit of 4 guests; however, your guest reviews note that they had 10 or more visitors assembled at your rental.  You are sending two conflicting messages.  Either there is a limit of 4 guests and no more OR change your rules to state that you allow parties.

• how are you screening your potential guests?  A number of the profiles don't have a photo.  How do you know who is renting your apartment?  Since you work nearby, I would suggest that you have guests check-in with you and take a copy of their ID or verify their identity in some way.  As you have learned, profiles can be faked.

• add a security deposit to your listing.  While there is no guarantee that you will receive funds for damage, at least it is a start.  If you don't ask for anything, Airbnb may decline a possible request for funds from a guest.

• Airbnb's insurance/guarantee isn't worth much.  Talk to your own insurance agent and get a policy specifically for rental properties.  It may cost you a bit more, but you'll be covered in case a future guest causes damage OR is injured at your rental.

These are a few thoughts.  I would be happy to discuss this topic further if you're interested.

Good luck!

@Gregory87 thank you so much for your comments! It's nice to have some advice with the local knowledge!

- I updated the no parties rule yesterday after the parties became such a problem. The people who had hosted events prior, had let me know beforehand what type of event they would be hosting (mainly holiday parties) and I had no issues. It is a good place for gathering as it is very open and has a comfortable atmosphere, and the first couple events went just fine and they were respectful (some of the guests I knew personally as well so I wasn't concerned). I would have liked to keep the options open for those respectful people, but after recent events I don't feel comfortable in being able to vet who will be allowed to hold events and who will not. A couple people I've talked to about this problem have suggested a higher rate for those looking to host events. Do you think people will honor that or will they just not tell me they are hosting a party?

-I have also learned the value of screening guests! I now require recommendations from previous hosts. And I definitely need to get a system for verifying identification. Is there a way I can require a profile picture as well?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

The other major issue is that you don't appear to have CCTV at the entrance to your listing. If you did, you would have seen that extra guests/parties were starting up and could have closed them down before they started.

You could of then contacted Airbnb to ask that they cancel the booking and you could have gone over to evict the guest and their party.

I would also suggest a minimum two night stay and organise your check in so that you meet guests in person.

If you look at Airbnb Help centre it will give you the basics around how Airbnb works including making a claim through the resolution centre. I wouldn't wait 48 hours before contacting Airbnb give them a call and point them to the messages between you and the guest regarding the party and photos and video evidence you took after the party.

By the way 90% of my bookings are from new guests.  If you only take guests with host recommendation you will narrow down the pool of potential guests considerably.

@Helen3 thank you for the advice! I had a neighbor watching my back and she notified me, so I was able to call the guest and he left (along with the rest of the party) on his own accord. Unfortunately, the damage was already done. After this, I am definitely getting cameras installed ASAP.

Is there any way that you screen bookings from new guests who don't have any reviews? Or have you just been lucky?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I vet all my guests so perhaps a mixture of luck and putting time in to ensure guests are a good fit.

I only take guests with photo ID. I don't take same day bookings. I only take guests who provide a profile, let me know about plans for their stay and who tell me why they chose my place. They also need to provide a clear photo of themselves.

What sort of questions do you ask your guests?

It's great you have neighbour who watches out for you but you really need a co-host who you pay to provide on the ground support and can help you manage your place (this could be your neighbour if they are willing).

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Ellie96,

Welcome to the Community Center!

I am so sorry to hear that this has happened in your home. Have you contacted Airbnb to let them know about this guest? 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

@Quincy I plan to use the Airbnb Resolution Center to report this issue, but I was waiting for one more repair quote to come in. Or should I not wait for that and just make the report with what evidence I do have? I feel like I'm guessing on this whole situation, it's all so new to me!

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Ellie96

I think it is also important that you call Airbnb just to let them know what has actually happened to your home. You could then explain that you're still waiting for another quote? 

-----

@Quincy I submitted a claim through the resolution center yesterday. So hopefully it all works out! Thanks for walking me through this!

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That's great to hear @Ellie96! I really hope everything will get sorted for you asap. 

Would you mind keeping me updated? 

-----