IS PERFECTION ATTAINABLE OR HAVE GUEST EXPECTATIONS BECOME UNATTAINABLE???

Sean433
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

IS PERFECTION ATTAINABLE OR HAVE GUEST EXPECTATIONS BECOME UNATTAINABLE???

I recently became a superhost after working very hard across all my listings to attain a high average rating. Despite how difficult it was to attain that status, I now find maintaining it to be even more stressful.

I noticed many hosts like me out there who do a great job and earn great money but also have to deal with unreasonable guests who sometimes seem impossible to satisfy. So my question is, do you feel being a superhost has added more or less stress to your life? For me, it has added more stress. I am not sure if it's because guests have become more unreasonable over the evolution of airbnb or if because they now have unrealistic expectations and if so, what has cause them to have unrealistic expectations?

My newest listing, titled  "5* luxury home in Toronto" is my most accomplished to date. I have poured my soul into this one. Spent an incredible amount of money renovating it to what I feel is a high level of luxury. The bathroom itself was so expensive to do and despite it being nicer and more modern then the bathrooms I have seen even at the Ritz Carlton, I still get feedback and suggestions for improvement.  I do have a perfect 5 star rating so far but that is partially because I manage my guests reviews by being very kind and asking them to leave me private feedback rather then public. 

I offer amenities that even the best hotels don't offer like use of our bbq, several choices of breakfast foods, pastries in the fridge, 4 port fast phone chargers, high quality beds, TV in each bedroom etc etc, I can go on and on. No matter what I do, I will always have some "suggestion" from a guest. I assumed that when I listed this newest listing, I would have an easier time because I literally put every suggestion I had from guests who stayed at my other listings into this one. NOPE, still have suggestions for improvements. What else can I do? Would other great hosts out there be able to provide any suggestions on how to improve this listing? Again, it is the one titled 5* luxury home in Toronto. I am truly stumped and don't get it.

I appreciate your feedback.

15 Replies 15
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Sean433 You've fallen into the oversell trap, the more you offer-the more they want.

Remove the 5* Luxury from the listing title.

Lower peoples expectations and they will be happier with what they get.

@Jeff158 

Thanks Jeff. Where we are, currently there is a lot of competition and unfortunately offering more is the only way we can bring in a higher quality of guest and compete well with the others. Fortunately we have not had any low quality guests which is a bigger concern then the reviews I get. I would rather keep the price high and the quality of guest high then to set low expectations and bring in sub par guests. But I get your point. What sort of title would you suggest? I try to stick out from the competition - everyone seems to have a boring and generic titles like "comfortable guesthouse or oasis retreat which really doesn't tell people much.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Sean433   I think you said that you always ask guests for suggestions, or maybe I imagined it?  

@Mark116 

Not usually. I only ask them to leave private feedback if they volunteer and make suggestions. I then say, i would appreciate you leave any suggestions in the private feedback section so that I can address them.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sean433  I would echo what @Jeff158  said.

For me, I've never chased the Superhost carrot. In fact, I was totally unaware of that status for the first few months I hosted and was taken aback one day to get an email congratulating me for achieving Superhost. I've maintained that status, not by stressing myself out trying to cater to every whim or demand, although of course I work to provide my guests with a good experience, but simply because I have been very lucky to get wonderful appreciative guests. While they sometimes have suggestions, they are more along the lines of things I might advise guests to bring with them, like a flashlight, since I live in the countryside with few streetlights (and I am grateful for those suggestions and act on them), as opposed to what I should do or change or add to my place to make their experience in my  home more luxurious.

I just host a private room/bathroom in my home, so nothing like your listing. But I also give myself 1 day prep time between reservations, and 3 day advance notice so as not to stress myself out trying to rush around turning over the space, repairing things that might need attention, etc. I went into hosting wanting and expecting it to be a pleasurable experience, not a way to earn as much $ as possible, as to me, no amount of money is worth having a stress-filled life.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

I agree with @Jeff158  , if you don't offer a villa with eternity pool or a castle with 3,8 m high ceilings then is better to remove Luxury 5* from a title 🙂

Interesting but when we start hosting 3 y ago we were getting suggestions for improvement on a regular basis. We didn't change a thing but we don't get it anymore. Why did they stop? I have no idea.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Branka-and-Silvia0  Maybe you've developed a scarier vibe and they're afraid to suggest anything? 🙂

P.S. In English we call it an "Infinity Pool".

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Sarah977  hehe I developed Olga style 😄

isn't eternity and infinity pools the same thing? Google images

@Branka-and-Silvia0  I've just never heard it called an eternity pool, but I'm sure it's the same thing. in any case, I doubt there will be showing up in my yard anytime in the forseeable future.

@Sarah977  neither did I, but I just couldn't remeber the right word and then googled :)))

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Guests are asked in the review process how their host can improve, @Sean433 . Those who offer suggestions are just doing as they are told: wracking their brains to think of something. My last bunch thought perhaps I could pipe in water to our backcountry listing, do up a Roman aqueduct-type thing that would wind a kilometre down the hill and through the woods and fields. High up, because it is a floodplain. 

It has come to suggestions of soaring aqueducts because they are unable to think of anything else. 

(I could make it with an infinity edge, @Branka-and-Silvia0  and @Sarah977 ...)

Anyway,  I wouldn't worry too much. Just thank them and agree that whatever it is would be cool.

I do agree with the others that taking "luxury" out of your title might help. Use another adjective. Sleek and comfortable? 

@Lawrene0 Clearly, you need to find your inner-Roman. Line it with limestone, add a walking trail to the side, only use local rocks and ensure that your incline is exactly 2%. Once you have built this, you could certainly create an "Experience" to walk the length of your aqueduct discussing the finer points of the engineering.

::giggles"" 

@Lawrene0 

Thanks Lawrence, i appreciate you taking the time to reply. Did you happen to see the listing? I think it's pretty luxury compared to 90% of airbnb's I see. I actually can't really complain, I've  only received 5 star reviews and everyone told me they really like it, maybe I am just seeking perfection which can never be attained.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lawrene0  Just think of the possibilities!  In addition to taking @Susan151's ideas on board, you could hire actors in period costumes to reenact life in Ancient Roman times to enhance your guests' experience. I think you could count on at least 4* reviews if you followed all these suggestions.