Identity verification

Maz5
Level 2
Sidmouth, United Kingdom

Identity verification

I'm being told my listings will be deactivated within a week if I don't upload my government photo ID, such as passport or driving licence.

I am unhappy to do so as this is an invitation for identify theft.

What should I do?

3 Replies 3
Trevor243
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Your ID is (or should be) seen only by AirBnB, not by all guests .... I expect other OTAs might make similar demands in the future .... and the thing is, if we don't comply, they switch us off ..... and you could switch to TripAdvisor / HomeAway / Booking.com, but none of the OTAs are perfect and they all have their "issues" and eventually, we'll probably have to do this everywhere ....

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

The information you upload is held by a third party company on secure servers, but you are right nothing is ever 100% secure.

However the reality is if you don't do this, you won't be able to host any more on Airbnb, so you have a choice to make. Upload the ID evidence or host on platforms that don't require it.

I have had mine uploaded for four years without issue @Maz5  if that helps?

Carol265
Level 2
England, GB

I have similar concerns; raised it with AirBnB who failed to answer and closed the query!  
I don’t want to do it, but see I have no real choice.  What concerns me is that I’ve been hosting for three years without any of this, so why suddenly now?