Is it a scam or can be real?

Is it a scam or can be real?

Hey guys, 

Me and my boyfriend are now searching for a housing possiblity in Helsinki for the next semester, and we have just found a really beautiful apartment, good location, catching photos, and all for an affordable price (750€ per month), so it is like  a dream come true for us. We have contacted the landlord, who wrote us that he is living in Cyprus, having no friends or connections in Helsinki, so we could rent the flat by paying the deposit and the rental fee through airbnb. Here is the copy-pasted e-mail he wrote us when we asked about the exact payment process:

"How it Works:
- You agree to use Airbnb service and i will start the transaction.
- Airbnb will send you the payment notification. You will pay the amount to Airbnb account by bank transfer ( 1500 EUR first month and deposit ). You will receive the payment notification after the transaction is started with transaction and payment details.
- After the payment will be in Airbnb account they notifies me and send the keys and contract. The delivery take 2 days and will be made by UPS or RoyalMail.
- You receive the keys and inspect the contract and the apartment. You have 7 days time for inspection.
- Airbnb releases payment to me or refunds money to you, depending on yours decision after inspection.
If you are agree with the apartment you have to sign the contract and send me a copy back ( you will get it in original ).
To start this transaction i will need your details where to send the key and the contract, phone number, period of rent and in what name the contract will be made.
Please read carefully the steps and send me the details which i asked only if you are 100% sure you`ll be able to pay the money to Airbnb because i try to avoid the losing of time and tax payment when i will start the transaction."

What do you think, can we be sure that this is not a scam, or we should let it go and keep on searching? It sounds great but we are not familiar with airbnb (never used it before) and we are afraid whether or not the landlord is trustworthy.

Thank you for your help!

Best, 

Fruzsi

3 Replies 3
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Fruzsina0

I would report this - I am pretty sure it is a scam. There is no reason for the landlord to you they will start the transaction - that is untrue. Plus they talk about a bank transfer, which is not how AirBnB operates. Flag the listing and move on to one with reviews, or with a superhost and one that doesnt sound like a really great deal and the ideal flat in Helsinki

Donna37
Level 5
Gourhel, France

Scam. Keep looking. Not Airbnb policy at all.

Alessandra272
Level 2
Frankfurt, Germany

Hi, I just got the same thing. Wonderful apartment in Vienna, for just ~500 euros, and I receive a mail from a NY Hotel manager where she describes herself and her family and ask the same for us. Then she sent us this:
" I can make arrangements to rent the apartment through Airbnb  which is an international company dealing specifically in rentals apartments, I used it in the past and I was very pleased for their services. I will contact Airbnb company and they will start the process right away. Next you will receive a notification message from them containing all the instructions that you need to follow in order to complete the process and receive the keys. In order to view the apartment the Airbnb agent will call you to establish a meeting place. You will have an agent assigned once they receive the payment for the first month of rent and the refundable deposit. Regarding the payment it has to be completed before they release the keys to the renter, the payment is transferred to Airbnb ( first month and the deposit ) they will hold and insure your money until you check the apartment. The payment has to be completed in 24 hours from the moment you receive the invoice. You will be given a 2 days inspection period from the day you receive the keys and contract that you will only sign after you check the apartment. During this period you can take a decision. If you like the apartment then you will sign a contract, for how many months or years you want to stay. If you will not be satisfied with the apartment the total amount will be refunded to you that same day and all the fees are supported by me. "

It is the same, isn't it?