Is this a scam?

Answered!
Valerio76
Level 1
Rzeszow, Poland

Is this a scam?

Hi guys this is the first time I use Airbnb, I was looking for an apartment to rent, I live in Poland and this Person that I'm in touch with it's not polish and dosen't live in Poland, I don't know why but I feel that it may be a scam.

This is what he wrote to me:

Hi there,
Thank you for your prompt response and for your kind email. If you are still interested I agree to rent it to you. I promise you that you will love the place. You seem to be a nice person and I can assure you we will not have any problems. I prefer to rent my flat cheaper but to a nice and responsible person.
Obviously you will have to see the apartment before discussing further details because you cannot rent an apartment that you haven't seen. I am willing to send you the keys so you can visit it and see it suits your needs.
The delivery for the keys (apartment keys, interphone, alarm) and viewing permit (signed by me), will be made through an authorized courier and using a Airbnb Trust and Saftey Account (www.airbnb.com/trust ) to make sure that we can trust each other.
Using Airbnb Trust and Safety Account involves three parties: me as owner, you as a potential tenant and Airbnb as a responsible third party authorized to proper conduct of the transaction.
Here is the procedure explained :
The Airbnb Trust and Safety Account works the same way as the escrow account on which you place the deposit when you rent an apartment, except that instead of a bank, we use Airbnb. Of course, nobody can touch that money until you have not returned the keys.
The escrow deposit, the first month rent + rental guarantee ( 1020 + 1020 = 2040 PLN), must be filed by bank transfer to activate the escrow account.
The delivery will be by a licensed company such as DHL, Federal Express or UPS and it will be sent by Airbnb at your home.
To initiate the process, I need the following information about you:
-Shipping Address (address where you want the package to be delivered) and name of recipient;
-Delivery Schedule (local time you'll be at home to receive the package and sign the receipt);
-Phone number;
You don't need to open an account with Airbnb because this transaction is a rental and the Landlord must open the transaction, just send me your personal details and i will open a case with them immediately.
Then Airbnb sends you the keys and the contract already filled with your details; You will have 14 days to inspect apartment since the arrival date; If you want to keep the apartment, they give me the money, and we go on from there; If you do not keep the apartment, you send the keys/contract back to Airbnb and you get your money back.
This will be in writing in the Airbnb contract I will sign.
The Airbnb fees will be paid by me when I will initiate the procedure, you will have to pay for the money transfer fees when you pay the deposit.
I'll wait your quick reply and if you agree, I will need your full name, shipping address and your phone number (mobile if possible) so I can initiate the Airbnb rental transaction.
Thanks again for your time and look forward to hear from you soon."

1 Best Answer
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Valerio76

This is most definately a scam and one that is used often.  Did you find this on Airbnb or on a different site such as apartments.com, craiglist, ect.?

Here are some of the many issues with this:

1) Airbnb does not take deposits (which you place the deposit when you rent an apartment)

2) Airbnb does not do bank transfers for a guest payment (The escrow deposit, the first month rent + rental guarantee ( 1020 + 1020 = 2040 PLN), must be filed by bank transfer to activate the escrow account.)

3) Airbnb does not do contracts except for the terms and conditions you accept when you create an account (This will be in writing in the Airbnb contract I will sign.)

4) Guests initiate the booking with hosts as hosts have no way to reach out to guests to offer their listings. (so I can initiate the Airbnb rental transaction.)

5) You need an Airbnb account in order to rent on the Airbnb platform. (You don't need to open an account with Airbnb because this transaction is a rental and the Landlord must open the transaction, just send me your personal details and i will open a case with them immediately.)

6) When you book through Airbnb, both the host and the guest have service fees. (Airbnb fees will be paid by me when I will initiate the procedure,)

7) No Airbnb host would be stupid enough to mail keys to a stranger

😎 When you open an Airbnb account, most of your informastion is kept private except your name and phone number.  The host does not see any ID you provide or any payment information.

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

View Best Answer in original post

29 Replies 29
Jullie1
Level 1
Kraków, Poland

I had the same e-mail... But since I couldn't find anything about this person at Google, I knew it was a scam.

Hi there,
    Thank you for your prompt response and for your kind email. If you are still interested I agree to rent it to you. I promise you that you will love the place. You seem to be a nice person and I can assure you we will not have any problems. I prefer to rent my flat cheaper but to a nice and responsible person.
    Obviously you will have to see the apartment before discussing further details because you cannot rent an apartment that you haven't seen. I am willing to send you the keys so you can visit it and see it suits your needs.
    The delivery for the keys (apartment keys, interphone, alarm) and viewing permit (signed by me), will be made through an authorized courier and using a Airbnb Trust and Saftey Account (AIRBNB is the largest rental site in the world ) to make sure that we can trust each other.
    Using Airbnb Trust and Safety Account involves three parties: me as owner, you as a potential tenant and Airbnb as a responsible third party authorized to proper conduct of the transaction.
    The Airbnb Trust and Safety Account  works the same way as the escrow account on which you place the deposit when you rent an apartment, except that instead of a bank, we use Airbnb. Of course, nobody can touch that money until you have not returned the keys.
    The escrow deposit, the first month rent + rental guarantee  must be filed by bank transfer to activate the escrow account.
    The delivery will be by a licensed company such as DHL, Federal Express or UPS and it will be sent by Airbnb at your home.
-Shipping Address (address where you want the package to be delivered) and name of recipient;
-Delivery Schedule (local time you'll be at home to receive the package and sign the receipt);
-Phone number;
-You don't need to open an account with Airbnb because this transaction is a rental and the Landlord must open the transaction, just send me your personal details and i will open a case with them immediately.
- You will receive the package (keys, apartment documents and lease agreement) in 3 business days. After the keys will be delivered at your address you will have 5 business days (inspection time) to check the apartment. The inspection time will start from the moment you will be at the building.
    The Airbnb fees will be paid by me when I will initiate the procedure, you will have to pay for the money transfer fees when you pay the deposit.
    I'll wait your quick reply and if you agree, I will need your full name, shipping address and your  phone number (mobile if possible) so I can initiate the Airbnb rental transaction.
Thanks again for your time and look forward to hear from you soon.
Sincerely,
Tomasa Warsen

Elsa202
Level 1
Lisbon, Portugal

I was victim of a scam using this email: air@bnb-express.com

They send me a link which was external to make a transfer. Do watch out.

Hi all,

I just received the same mail (see below) about a flat to rent in Warsaw with a very (not common) low price.

I think Airbnb must check this annonces , this was on the pilish site www.otodom.pl, I will inform the site too..and may be the postal police...

take attention there !!

br

Izabela

Hi there,
The delivery for the keys (apartment keys, interphone, alarm) and viewing permit (signed by me), will be made through an authorized courier and using a Airbnb Trust and Saftey Account (AIRBNB is the largest rental site in the world ) to make sure that we can trust each other.
The Airbnb Trust and Safety Account works the same way as the escrow account on which you place the deposit when you rent an apartment, except that instead of a bank, we use Airbnb. Of course, nobody can touch that money until you have not returned the keys.
The escrow deposit, the first month rent + rental guarantee must be filed by bank transfer to activate the escrow account.
-Phone number;
-You don't need to open an account with Airbnb because this transaction is a rental and the Landlord must open the transaction, just send me your personal details and i will open a case with them immediately.
- You will receive the package (keys, apartment documents and lease agreement) in 3 business days. After the keys will be delivered at your address you will have 5 business days (inspection time) to check the apartment. The inspection time will start from the moment you will be at the building.
I'll wait your quick reply and if you agree, I will need your full name, shipping address and your phone number (mobile if possible) so I can initiate the Airbnb rental transaction.
Sincerely,

I received this email after looking for accommodation in Lisbon, Portugal. it's the second one, I knew for sure that it was a scam. 

klintworth348@gmail.com>

The rental process will be made through Airbnb because it's the most protected way. I've used their services many times and i tell you that was a great opportunity for me to work with them.
I really cannot come back in Portugal this year to make the contract so i left the keys and the contract signed by me to an agent.
The contract will be for 1 year renewable and for maximum 6 years.
They will provide assistance in handling the payment and schedule the visit of the apartment. With this procedure you will be able to check the apartment before i receive the money.
First of all i need the following informations:
    - Your full name:
    - Your address:
    - A phone number where the agent can contact you
    - Whatsapp number for faster communication:
    - A copy of your passport or identity card.

- After i receive these informations from you, i will publish the apartment on airbnb and i will send you the link.
- When you make the booking you should make the payment of the first 2 months of rent + 1 other month as a security deposit which will be refunded at the end of the contract.
 The Airbnb doesn't work with money cash so you must make the payment (2+1 months) for Airbnb and only after that your payment has been confirmed, the agent will be able to call you to schedule the visit.
 Very important!!! The money will be blocked in the account of Airbnb until you decide if you will rent the apartment or not. If you do not like the apartment, the Airbnb will refund all your money back in maximum 24 hours.                  
- The agent will call you to schedule the visit and if is everything OK, you will sign the contract and you can start to live there in the same moment because you already have the rent paid for the first 2 months.

Please send me your informations only if you accept the steps.

Thank you,
  Dr. Sven Klintworth
Jan840
Level 1
Warsaw, Poland

Hi,

a friend of mine also got into similar conversation via email and I thought it is scam as well, the messages he got were:

Hello,

Thanks for your email query regarding my apartment located in: Plock, ul. Juliusza Slowackiego 4
I am sorry but i do not speak polish. I lived all my life in United Kingdom. This apartment is inherited from my grand-parents who lived in Poland. Now the apartment is empty and i want to rent it.

My name is Tomina Warson. I'm a research engineer for a pharmaceutical company .

The apartment is completely furnished with high quality furniture, all the necessary equipment and appliances. New fitted kitchen . The apartment is in excellent condition, very clean and well kept. You have full access to all building amenities, near you have public transportation, coffee's shops and other facilities. Pets are allowed.

The rent will be PLN 900 per month including all utilities (water, electricity, internet, cable ). The time period for the lease is negotiable - what ever suits you well. I am asking for a rental guarantee (kaution) equal with 2 months rent because as you can see in the pictures my apartment is finished to high standards. The rental guarantee will be refunded at the end of the contract in full.
If further interested, please give me some information about yourself (age, job, lifestyle or whatever you think makes you a good tenant).
Also please let me know how many people would be living on the property and exact date when you would like to move in.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing back from you.
Tomina Warson

Hi there,
    The Airbnb Trust and Safety Account  works the same way as the escrow account on which you place the deposit when you rent an apartment, except that instead of a bank, we use Airbnb. Of course, nobody can touch that money until you have not returned the keys.
    The escrow deposit, the first month rent + rental guarantee  must be filed by bank transfer to activate the escrow account.
-Phone number;
    I'll wait your quick reply and if you agree, I will need your full name, shipping address and your  phone number (mobile if possible) so I can initiate the Airbnb rental transaction.
Sincerely,  

Bettina188
Level 1
Bonn, Germany

Hello,

I am seeing this in Germany as well from the following person: pantaleoantonela@gmail.com

She is advertising an apartment that is from a company in Finland (https://blok.ai/en/property/sepetlahdentie-9/) pretending that this is an apartment in Germany!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi again,

I will explain you step by step how this service works:
To start the process all I need is your full name, delivery address and  a phone number. After that you will be contacted by airbnb with further instructions to make the payment of the first month rent  (400,00€ ) + (1.200,00€) the refundable deposit = (1.600,00€) in their account. Once is confirmed, they will send you the keys to be able to inspect the  apartment and if all is in order, you will sign the contract and Airbnb will pay me.  Further rents will be sent directly to my bank account. In case you  won't like the flat, Airbnb will give you a full refund within 24  hours and you will give them back the keys, but I'm pretty sure that you  will be more than happy with
your stay. So, if you want to start the  transaction please send me the requested information.

Thank you
Bettina188
Level 1
Bonn, Germany

And another one that was received by a friend of mine from erik.fink1971@gmail.com

Hi,

You can rent my apartment indefinitely. The price per month is € 550,00 (gas, water, internet, electricity, TV, garage).
I'm working on a big project in Binz / Germany. We have a solution to these inconveniences so you can move in as quickly as possible. I do not have the time to meet any potential tenant, so I choose Airbnb. I only use the Airbnb service at the beginning to find a tenant.
To visit and rent the apartment, I use the platform https://www.airbnb.com/trust

Airbnb, Inc. offers an online platform that connects rental lodging hosts with guests wishing to rent such accommodations.
The Airbnb company requires a confirmation, which is valid for 2 months. At the beginning of the rental, a security deposit of EUR 1.100 is required. This will be refunded at the end of the contract (a notice period of 30 days is required). After these first 2 months you send the rent directly to my personal bank account.
You must book the first 2 months through the website. Once your booking is confirmed, the Airbnb representative will contact you and you can move in immediately.
First, you must book it and one of its representatives will contact you to arrange the appointment. The meeting will take place in the apartment and he will give you the keys and sign the contract for the period of your choice (we will make a fixed lease between us for at least 2 months and 10 years).
I would like to know how many people you want to share the apartment with and for how long.
All other information about you would be welcome. I try to rent the apartment to someone who looks after him.
I have invested a lot in this apartment and I am sure you will love it.

I think that's it for now, I hope I have not forgotten anything.
Thanks for your time.

Meg1039
Level 1
Huta Komorowska, Poland

Hi guys!

This is a scam, this time this person wrote this:

Hi there,
    Using Airbnb Trust and Safety Account involves three parties: me as owner, you as a potential tenant and Airbnb as a responsible third party authorized to proper conduct the rental transaction.
    The deposit, the first month rent + rental guarantee  must be filed by bank transfer to activate the Trust and Safety Airbnb Account.
    The delivery will be made by a licensed company such as DHL, Federal Express or UPS and it will be sent by Airbnb at your home.
    Please note that Airbnb can NOT release the funds to me without your approval. You will have full control of the payment. They can release the payment to me as a landlord just AFTER they will receive the lease agreement with your signature.If by any reason you decide not to rent my apartment,Airbnb will issue a full refund to you.
-Phone number;
    The Airbnb fees will be paid by me when I will initiate the procedure.
Sincerely,     

Maciej36
Level 1
Kędzierzyn-Koźle, Poland

Same offer here from Sophie Wennen <sophie.wennen@gmail.com>

----------

Hello,

Thanks for your email query regarding my apartment located in: Opole,ul. Piastowska
I am sorry but i do not speak polish. I lived all my life in United Kingdom. This apartment is inherited from my grand-parents who lived in Poland. Now the apartment is empty and i want to rent it.

My name is Sophie Wennen. I'm a research engineer for a pharmaceutical company .

The apartment is completely furnished with high quality furniture, all the necessary equipment and appliances. New fitted kitchen . The apartment is in excellent condition, very clean and well kept. You have full access to all building amenities, near you have public transportation, coffee's shops and other facilities. Pets are allowed.

The rent will be PLN  900 per month including all utilities (water, electricity, internet, cable ). The time period for the lease is negotiable - what ever suits you well. I am asking for a rental guarantee (kaution) equal with 2 months rent because as you can see in the pictures my apartment is finished to high standards. The rental guarantee will be refunded at the end of the contract in full.
If further interested, please give me some information about yourself (age, job, lifestyle or whatever you think makes you a good tenant).
Also please let me know how many people would be living on the property and exact date when you would like to move in.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Sophie Wennen

--------------

Hi there,
    Using Airbnb Trust and Safety Account involves three parties: me as owner, you as a potential tenant and Airbnb as a responsible third party authorized to proper conduct the rental transaction.
    The deposit, the first month rent + rental guarantee  must be filed by bank transfer to activate the Trust and Safety Airbnb Account.
    The delivery will be made by a licensed company such as DHL, Federal Express or UPS and it will be sent by Airbnb at your home.
    Please note that Airbnb can NOT release the funds to me without your approval. You will have full control of the payment. They can release the payment to me as a landlord just AFTER they will receive the lease agreement with your signature.If by any reason you decide not to rent my apartment,Airbnb will issue a full refund to you.
-Phone number;
    The Airbnb fees will be paid by me when I will initiate the procedure.
Sincerely,     

------------
Bakuarzan0
Level 1
Warsaw, PL

Hi!

I am from Warsaw and i'm looking for some place to rent. This ja what i found on otodom

The same story...

Hi there,
-Phone number;
Sincerely,    
Anx24
Level 2
Czechowice-Dziedzice, PL

Hi, 

I am also looking for flat in Warsaw, and I've got exactly the same e-mail as a reply to OtoDom offer. 

"Hi there,
-Phone number;
Sincerely,    "

Alex8046
Level 2
Berlin, Germany

I had a conversation about a house in Berlin with one lady. After i finalize the agreement I received that answer. If the transaction will be through the airbnb platform will be safe ?? or the think is a scam? :

"Thank you for your message!

I could come to Germany within two weeks(25.08-05.09). We will meet and you will see the flat. If you decide to move in we will sign the rental contract with the starting date 1st of October. You will have time until then to move your things and settle in. Anyway, I've thought about it and I need some protection. You have to understand that I am a very busy person, working a lot, and to complete the deal I have to take 2 days off from my job, pay more than 300,- for flight tickets and so on.

Before I buy the flight tickets I must be sure that you will be there. As I am familiar with Airbnb, I think the best solution is to use the Airbnb platform to complete the rental deal. They provide safe solutions such for the owner and the tenants( https://www.airbnb.com/trust ). If you agree, I could post the flat on Airbnb and you would be notified. Airbnb, Inc. provides an online platform that connects hosts who have accommodations to rent with guests seeking to rent such accommodations. The first payment you have to make to Airbnb would be 3.100,-(2 months of rent + 2 months as security deposit-'kaution').

As soon as you complete the payment to Airbnb, I will buy the flight tickets according to your time and come to Germany. We will meet and you will see the flat. Airbnb will hold the money, and they will only pay me 3 days after your check-in. If you don't want to take the flat, Airbnb will return you the full amount, so you will lose nothing from this.

We will use the Airbnb platform only this time. The next payment will be done monthly to my personal bank account. If you agree with my proposal please send me the following information: complete name, address, phone number and a copy of your id card(optional).

Please let me know if you agree with my proposal. In attachment you can find a copy of my passport so you can see I am a serious person.

I will be waiting for your message"

Today's message for an apartment in Salzburg. The person who sent it was not the person who advertised the apartment. And of course there is no trace of it on the internet.  

"Thank you for your interest,

I want to let you know that I will let you know how this service works when you are ready to proceed with this transaction.

-I create delivery documents on Airbnb.
-After I've created the delivery documents required for your first month's payment confirmation and security deposit (849 Eur + 800 Eur = 1649 Eur) with the company, Airbnb will send you a delivery notification to let you know you have the keys and the papers in their care.
Airbnb will also provide further instructions on how to deposit funds.
-After the payment is confirmed, the delivery process begins.
-Once you have received the keys, you have 2 days to review before making your final decision.
-If you don't like the apartment for any reason, Airbnb will return the total amount (1649 Eur) and send the package back to me with the keys.
-If everything is fine, tell Airbnb to give me the money.

In order to initiate the transaction via Airbnb and send you the link to your reservation, I need the following information from you:

-Full name and address:
-ID or passport copy attached:
-Mobile number:
-Date you want to move into the apartment:
-Rental period in which you want to stay:

After I have received your details, I will forward to Airbnb and continue the order. Airbnb will contact you with all the details you need to close this deal. Waiting for your email with the requested details."

Today I received an email with the same information, all previous dialogues were suspicious, so I checked the information here, so this scam is working...

Anna Bolmart <annabolmart@outlook.com>

I will explain you step by step how this service works:

To start the process all I need is your full name, delivery address and  a phone number. After that you will be contacted by airbnb with
further instructions to make the payment of the first month rent  (650,00€ ) + (650,00€) the refundable deposit = (1300,00€) in their
account. Once is confirmed, they will send you the keys/contract by their agent to be able to inspect the  apartment and if all is in order, you will sign the
contract and Airbnb will pay me.  Further rents will be sent directly to my bank account. In case you  won't like the flat, Airbnb will
give you a full refund within 24  hours and you will give them back the keys, but I'm pretty sure that you  will be more than happy with
your stay. So, if you want to start the  transaction please send me the requested information.

Thank you!

Ananya12
Level 1
Mumbai, India

2022 and they're trying to scam in the same way. I was surprised I got two similar emails from different users stating the same Airbnb secured payment etc.