Is this a scam?

Answered!
Valerio76
Level 1
Rzeszow, Poland

Is this a scam?

Hi guys this is the first time I use Airbnb, I was looking for an apartment to rent, I live in Poland and this Person that I'm in touch with it's not polish and dosen't live in Poland, I don't know why but I feel that it may be a scam.

This is what he wrote to me:

Hi there,
Thank you for your prompt response and for your kind email. If you are still interested I agree to rent it to you. I promise you that you will love the place. You seem to be a nice person and I can assure you we will not have any problems. I prefer to rent my flat cheaper but to a nice and responsible person.
Obviously you will have to see the apartment before discussing further details because you cannot rent an apartment that you haven't seen. I am willing to send you the keys so you can visit it and see it suits your needs.
The delivery for the keys (apartment keys, interphone, alarm) and viewing permit (signed by me), will be made through an authorized courier and using a Airbnb Trust and Saftey Account (www.airbnb.com/trust ) to make sure that we can trust each other.
Using Airbnb Trust and Safety Account involves three parties: me as owner, you as a potential tenant and Airbnb as a responsible third party authorized to proper conduct of the transaction.
Here is the procedure explained :
The Airbnb Trust and Safety Account works the same way as the escrow account on which you place the deposit when you rent an apartment, except that instead of a bank, we use Airbnb. Of course, nobody can touch that money until you have not returned the keys.
The escrow deposit, the first month rent + rental guarantee ( 1020 + 1020 = 2040 PLN), must be filed by bank transfer to activate the escrow account.
The delivery will be by a licensed company such as DHL, Federal Express or UPS and it will be sent by Airbnb at your home.
To initiate the process, I need the following information about you:
-Shipping Address (address where you want the package to be delivered) and name of recipient;
-Delivery Schedule (local time you'll be at home to receive the package and sign the receipt);
-Phone number;
You don't need to open an account with Airbnb because this transaction is a rental and the Landlord must open the transaction, just send me your personal details and i will open a case with them immediately.
Then Airbnb sends you the keys and the contract already filled with your details; You will have 14 days to inspect apartment since the arrival date; If you want to keep the apartment, they give me the money, and we go on from there; If you do not keep the apartment, you send the keys/contract back to Airbnb and you get your money back.
This will be in writing in the Airbnb contract I will sign.
The Airbnb fees will be paid by me when I will initiate the procedure, you will have to pay for the money transfer fees when you pay the deposit.
I'll wait your quick reply and if you agree, I will need your full name, shipping address and your phone number (mobile if possible) so I can initiate the Airbnb rental transaction.
Thanks again for your time and look forward to hear from you soon."

1 Best Answer
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Valerio76

This is most definately a scam and one that is used often.  Did you find this on Airbnb or on a different site such as apartments.com, craiglist, ect.?

Here are some of the many issues with this:

1) Airbnb does not take deposits (which you place the deposit when you rent an apartment)

2) Airbnb does not do bank transfers for a guest payment (The escrow deposit, the first month rent + rental guarantee ( 1020 + 1020 = 2040 PLN), must be filed by bank transfer to activate the escrow account.)

3) Airbnb does not do contracts except for the terms and conditions you accept when you create an account (This will be in writing in the Airbnb contract I will sign.)

4) Guests initiate the booking with hosts as hosts have no way to reach out to guests to offer their listings. (so I can initiate the Airbnb rental transaction.)

5) You need an Airbnb account in order to rent on the Airbnb platform. (You don't need to open an account with Airbnb because this transaction is a rental and the Landlord must open the transaction, just send me your personal details and i will open a case with them immediately.)

6) When you book through Airbnb, both the host and the guest have service fees. (Airbnb fees will be paid by me when I will initiate the procedure,)

7) No Airbnb host would be stupid enough to mail keys to a stranger

😎 When you open an Airbnb account, most of your informastion is kept private except your name and phone number.  The host does not see any ID you provide or any payment information.

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

View Best Answer in original post

29 Replies 29
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Valerio76

This is most definately a scam and one that is used often.  Did you find this on Airbnb or on a different site such as apartments.com, craiglist, ect.?

Here are some of the many issues with this:

1) Airbnb does not take deposits (which you place the deposit when you rent an apartment)

2) Airbnb does not do bank transfers for a guest payment (The escrow deposit, the first month rent + rental guarantee ( 1020 + 1020 = 2040 PLN), must be filed by bank transfer to activate the escrow account.)

3) Airbnb does not do contracts except for the terms and conditions you accept when you create an account (This will be in writing in the Airbnb contract I will sign.)

4) Guests initiate the booking with hosts as hosts have no way to reach out to guests to offer their listings. (so I can initiate the Airbnb rental transaction.)

5) You need an Airbnb account in order to rent on the Airbnb platform. (You don't need to open an account with Airbnb because this transaction is a rental and the Landlord must open the transaction, just send me your personal details and i will open a case with them immediately.)

6) When you book through Airbnb, both the host and the guest have service fees. (Airbnb fees will be paid by me when I will initiate the procedure,)

7) No Airbnb host would be stupid enough to mail keys to a stranger

😎 When you open an Airbnb account, most of your informastion is kept private except your name and phone number.  The host does not see any ID you provide or any payment information.

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Marcus0
Level 10
Berlin, DE

@Valerio76complete scam.  If you send them the money you will end up with nothing.  Actually this is a popular Craigslist scam used.  What you can do is report the listing.  On the listing, on the right hand side, under the BOOK button is the text "report this listing", click on "This listing should not be on Airbnb" and i believe you can then enter the text above as backup evidence.

Valerio76
Level 1
Rzeszow, Poland

Thank you so much guys i exepcted it to be scam but I was not to sure about it. I Will watch out next time.

Thanks

Monika158
Level 1
Brighton, United Kingdom

How about this? Hi , you can move in anytime. I can reduce the deposit if you don't have enough money. I am out of country to Germany with some business,I have the opportunity to manage a hotel here. Because I have the flat listed on AirBNB we can use their platform.I will send you the rent reservation through airbnb, after that I will send you the keys by UPS or DHL express (2 days delivery) so you view the apartment and you must confirm to airbnb if everything is fine and you rent it or not. If everything is OK then airbnb will send me the money.I will send you the contract sign by me and the back up key(after first month you will pay directly into my bank account monthly) If you don't like the flat then airbnb will refund your money back in the same day but I'm sure that you will love it because it is like in the photos (you will also read the reviews of my customers that rented it on airbnb).Here is the link: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/20060599 I will not rent for a short term anymore so it will be 3 months minimum stay. Don't book the flat on airbnb right away because airbnb it's set up for short term rentals and you will only have the option to book it for a much higher price (the per night price). I must set up the monthly price of £900 in order to start the transaction. I will need a photo with your legal ID or drivers license for the contract and also to start the airbnb transaction. Let me know your final decision ? By the way, check out the reviews about the flat at the end of the airbnb page. Please confirm if that's OK with you ? I will pay the fees involved

Just received 10 min ago

Hi there,
    Thank you for your prompt response and for your kind email. If you are still interested I agree to rent it to you. I promise you that you will love the place. You seem to be a nice person and I can assure you we will not have any problems. I prefer to rent my flat cheaper but to a nice and responsible person.
    Obviously you will have to see the apartment before discussing further details because you cannot rent an apartment that you haven't seen. I am willing to send you the keys so you can visit it and see it suits your needs.
    The delivery for the keys (apartment keys, interphone, alarm) and viewing permit (signed by me), will be made through an authorized courier and using a Airbnb Trust and Saftey Account  to make sure that we can trust each other.
I guess you had heard about AIRBNB. it is the largest rental site in the world and 100% secure.
    Using Airbnb Trust and Safety Account involves three parties: me as owner, you as a potential tenant and Airbnb as a responsible third party authorized to proper conduct of the transaction.
    The Airbnb Trust and Safety Account  works the same way as the escrow account on which you place the deposit when you rent an apartment, except that instead of a bank, we use Airbnb. Of course, nobody can touch that money until you have not returned the keys.
    The escrow deposit, the first month rent + rental guarantee (1090 + 1090= 2180 PLN), must be filed by bank transfer to activate the escrow account.
    The delivery will be by a licensed company such as DHL, Federal Express or UPS and it will be sent by Airbnb at your home.
-Shipping Address (address where you want the package to be delivered) and name of recipient;
-Delivery Schedule (local time you'll be at home to receive the package and sign the receipt);
-Phone number;
     You don't need to open an account with Airbnb because this transaction is a rental and the Landlord must open the transaction, just send me your personal details and i will open a case with them immediately.
    Then Airbnb sends you the keys and the contract already filled with your details; You will have 14 days to inspect apartment since the arrival date; If you want to keep the apartment, they give me the money, and we go on from there; If you do not keep the apartment, you send the keys/contract back to Airbnb and you get your money back.
    The Airbnb fees will be paid by me when I will initiate the procedure, you will have to pay for the money transfer fees when you pay the deposit.
    I'll wait your quick reply and if you agree, I will need your full name, shipping address and your  phone number (mobile if possible) so I can initiate the Airbnb rental transaction.
Thanks again for your time and look forward to hear from you soon.
Sincerely,

Katerina84
Level 1
Alcúdia, Spain

I got exactly the same, it smells strange from the first moment but I was decided to give it a chance... luckily I didn’t send any money 🙂

now I know, thank you!

Alžběta0
Level 1
Pardubice, Czech Republic

Hi there,
    The delivery for the keys (apartment keys, interphone, alarm) and viewing permit (signed by me), will be made through an authorized courier and using a Airbnb Trust and Saftey Account (AIRBNB is the largest rental site in the world ) to make sure that we can trust each other.
    The Airbnb Trust and Safety Account  works the same way as the escrow account on which you place the deposit when you rent an apartment, except that instead of a bank, we use Airbnb. Of course, nobody can touch that money until you have not returned the keys.
    The escrow deposit, the first month rent + rental guarantee  must be filed by bank transfer to activate the escrow account.
-Phone number;
    I'll wait your quick reply and if you agree, I will need your full name, shipping address and your  phone number (mobile if possible) so I can initiate the Airbnb rental transaction.
Sincerely,

------ Původní zpráva --------
Od: Alisha Bronwyn <alisha.bronwyn@gmail.com>
Datum: 20.04.20 15:24 (GMT+01:00)
Komu:
Předmět: Re: Apartment

Hi there,
    The delivery for the keys (apartment keys, interphone, alarm) and viewing permit (signed by me), will be made through an authorized courier and using a Airbnb Trust and Saftey Account (AIRBNB is the largest rental site in the world ) to make sure that we can trust each other.
    The Airbnb Trust and Safety Account  works the same way as the Safety account on which you place the deposit when you rent an apartment, except that instead of a bank, we use Airbnb. Of course, nobody can touch that money until you have not returned the keys.
    The Safety deposit, the first month rent + rental guarantee  must be filed by bank transfer to activate the Safety account.
-Phone number;
-You don't need to open an account with Airbnb because this transaction is a rental and the Landlord must open the transaction, just send me your personal details and i will open a case with them immediately.
- You will receive the package (keys, apartment documents and lease agreement) in 3 business days. After the keys will be delivered at your address you will have 5 business days (inspection time) to check the apartment. The inspection time will start from the moment you will be at the building.
    I'll wait your quick reply and if you agree, I will need your full name, shipping address and your  phone number (mobile if possible) so I can initiate the Airbnb rental transaction.
Sincerely,     
Francisca61
Level 2
Cascais, Portugal

Thank you to everyone who posted this scam.

I am also a host from portugal and this scammer just tried to scam me for a long term rental apartment  not listed in airbnb.

So I googled the name awelonto and thankfully this thread immediately popped up. So happy to have avoided it. 

Thanks

I just got this response, the apartment was listed on Immonet.de . Thank you so much for this thread to identify this as a scam! 

Hello,

The rental contract validity is from 1 month to 10 years (with possibility of extension).
The rent is 500€ per month. The deposit is 1.000€. The total amount to pay is 1.500€ (1 month rent and the deposit).
In the monthly rent you have included: Water, Gas, Electricity, TV-Internet connection, 2 Parking places, waste disposal.

I am ready to send the keys so that you can visit and check the apartment. The rental process will be made through Airbnb (airbnb. com). They will also help us as a third party to make the transaction. 
Airbnb rental process service give a protection for both of us and it works like this:

-The money must be sent to Airbnb before you will receive the keys. 
-After I will receive the confirmation from Airbnb that the transfer was made, I will send the package with the rental contract and the apartment keys. 
- I will send the delivery confirmation to you and to Airbnb. 
- You will have 5 days to verify the apartment and take a decision.
- If you don't like the apartment, Airbnb will refund the transfer to your bank account. If you decide to rent it, Airbnb will send the transfer to my bank account.

To start the transaction I need the following information:

Full name:
Street:
City:
Postal Code:
Mobile number:

- If you want to pay in advance for 6 months or 1 year, I can make a discount. For 6 months you will pay 2.500€ ( + 1.000€ the deposit) and for 1 year you will pay 4.500€ ( + 1.000€ the deposit).
- How much do you want to pay: 1.500€ (1 month rent and the deposit included), 3.500€ (for 6 months and the deposit included) or 5.500€ (for 1 year and the deposit included)?

I'll pay for the services of the agency, so there is no cost for you!
Thank you,

I got the same mail from someone private listed on immowelt.de.

Thank you guys for the information.  Scam 100%!

Miroslava9
Level 1
Wrocław, Poland

Hi guys,

I am extremely thankful to you for this information!

I’ve got the same message today. The apartment offer was published at otodom.pl

Hi there,
    The Airbnb Trust and Safety Account  works the same way as the escrow account on which you place the deposit when you rent an apartment, except that instead of a bank, we use Airbnb. Of course, nobody can touch that money until you have not returned the keys.
    The escrow deposit, the first month rent + rental guarantee  must be filed by bank transfer to activate the escrow account.
-Phone number;
-You don't need to open an account with Airbnb because this transaction is a rental and the Landlord must open the transaction, just send me your personal details and i will open a case with them immediately.
- You will receive the package (keys, apartment documents and lease agreement) in 3 business days. After the keys will be delivered at your address you will have 5 business days (inspection time) to check the apartment. The inspection time will start from the moment you will be at the building.
    I'll wait your quick reply and if you agree, I will need your full name, shipping address and your  phone number (mobile if possible) so I can initiate the Airbnb rental transaction.
Sincerely,

Weronika9
Level 1
Koszalin, Poland

Good to know that it is an actual scam, just got a message like this one today.

Jacinta27
Level 1
Karlsruhe, Germany

Me too! The very same one from someone on otodom.pl. Thank you 🙏🏽