Is this acceptable?

Chey1
Level 2
Orangevale, CA

Is this acceptable?

Hi Everyone - I am a new host and I feel that my first guest has boundary issues, though I am not sure if I have any real reason to say anything.  The space is the second bedroom in my condo.  When she booked she listed two guests, though it is mostly just her.  It turns out she is seeing someone in the area and she expects him to be able to come stay with her.  She booked for a week starting last Sunday.  He showed up about 1 AM that night and she left with him and did not come back until the next afternoon.  I did not hear him or hear them leave.  I thought she was in the room the whole time.  I have a security camera outside the door and I saw that he was here about 3 AM and was gone by the time I was up.  Again, I didn't hear anything.  She is nice enough and doesn't seem to be up to anything nefarious so I am not sure why this bothers me.  Any advice?  Thanks!

6 Replies 6
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Chey1 I am not sure why this bothers you either. Your guest booked for two people, is sometimes but not always using the room for two people, and is keeping irregular hours. Unless this is interfering with your own life in some way, it's not really any of your concern, right?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Chey1  If it's that you feel strange about this man coming and going from your home without ever even having met him, you could just be honest with the guest and explain that it would be nice if she could introduce him to you at some convenient time, just so you don't feel uncomfortable about some man you've never even met coming and going from your home. That seems reasonable to me.

Otherwise, I don't see that their behavior is overstepping any boundary issues-they seem to be quiet and not disturbing you or intruding into your life. They are adults- I don't see why what hours they keep is of any concern, as long as they aren't waking you up.

You could consider yourself lucky that she actaully booked for 2 people, rather than booking for one and sneaking him in, in the middle of the night.

Chey1
Level 2
Orangevale, CA

I found out that is wasn't her boyfriend that came over for a quickie, but her cousin who needed to borrow $20 - at 3 AM.  that makes me more uncomfortable.

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Chey1 I was typing my post below as you were writing this so had not seen it.  Is it the cousin who is the guest she had already paid for or someone else?  

the cousin is someone else. 

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Chey1 I don't think your guest has boundary issues but she is lacking in basic good manners.  If two people are staying in my home and using my facilities then I expect to meet and shake hands with both of them - that is just common courtesy.  

The hours they are keeping is not the issue here if they are not disturbing you and as @Sarah977  says, at least she paid for him.