Lack of Airbnb communication regarding a damage claim

Pat163
Level 1
Boston, MA

Lack of Airbnb communication regarding a damage claim

I have been an Airbnb host for about 4 years now, and I've had a majority of positive experiences.  Last month, I had a guest stay in my listing for a couple weeks, and long story short, she turned out to be a nightmare.  The police were called during her stay, she was going out all night, every night of the week, and leaving her 8 and 10 year old children home alone, unattended; ultimately, when she checked-out, I became aware that she caused substantial damage to my home (well over $10k in damages).

I filed a claim through the Rsolution Center; it has been over 2 weeks now, and I have yet to have been contacted by anybody from Airbnb in regards to the claim.  I looked through the Airbnb website, and it states that Resolution Center claims are usually resolved within a week; it has been over 2 weeks now and I have yet to have been even contacted.

I've called Customer Service multiple times, and all they are able to tell me is that the claim has been escalated to the Trust and Safety team, and that they will contact me once the claim is assigned to someone.

Have any fellow hosts had similar experiences, where a guest caused damage to your listing, and you've had to go through the Resolution Center to settle the claim?  I'm wondering how long it took for you to have been, a). contacted, b). assigned a representative, and c). length of time to resolve the claim.

Thanks in advance,

Pat

6 Replies 6
James11
Level 1
Ballarat, Australia

I must say be very careful on your accepting of cliental as air bnb don't really care that its your home  Had a person stay at my .house and broke a bed flicked cigarette butts all over the place and didn't recieve any compensation and it isn't all about money its respect of your property so reviews are Paramount for me now.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

My claim was successfully resolved in about a week-- but it was only for $1K.

Pat163
Level 1
Boston, MA

Thanks for the insight Lisa.  Can I ask, how long after filing the claim did it take for Airbnb to contact you? Do you remeber which department it was that handled the claim process?

I have the same situation when it's been almost 3 weeks and no response from Airbnb resolution center 😞

I am not impressed with their host support, to  put it lightly. My request is for less than $150 for a damaged item.

Ruth807
Level 2
Fayetteville, AR

i have involved the resolution center concerning a recent guest who left damage of approx $3900. i have not been able to send documentation of damages to Airbnb. i have called the help center 5 times and have been told that my case has been sent to the claims department and that i will be contacted within 24 hours. it has been 10 days since I first involved Airbnb. How did your case get resolved? 

Rochelle82
Level 1
Lahti, FI

Hi - I've been a host for about 1.5 years and have had no problem, until now. Reading some of your replies and comments,I wonder if I would be better off not making any claim for damage recently done in our place.  It was a family with two children, aged 2 and 4.5. They were here for 2 weeks and when they left I saw that the children had drawn with 3 different colored pens on a leather sofa, a blanket, an arm chair, and even a small stain on a top mattress.  I was able to wash the stains out of the blanket and arm chair, but the sofa is ruined.  It is a very old sofa, and the leather is worn out, so I don't think it has much financial value, but we'll have to send it to the dump and replace it with something.I am not sure if we will buy another sofa or not. ---   How would you recommend I place a value on that old sofa?   Is it worth making a monetary claim at all?  I'm more annoyed than hurt because they said goodbye to me and never mentioned the damage, or a few othercleaning problems. -  Feedback anyone?