Last Minute Cancellation by host

Colly0
Level 1
Pensacola, FL

Last Minute Cancellation by host

Last week I come in from out of town arrive at the airport and now have to call my host about meeting him for a key, the apartment is in Atlanta, the host is Frederick, and I had the confirmation for over 2 weeks, The stables to be a weekl. All attempts at communication through the Airbnb app asking about entry and how to meet him were ignored. I get to the airport I call him up and he tells me that he wasn't renting the apartment that week. so after jumping through hoops while I'm at the airport my phone is dying my computer is dying I have to find another place spur of the moment. Now here's the thing that really ticks me off,when I spoke to Frederick he told me he would call me right back and I never did hear back from him. And surprisingly the apartment was available that whole week because I kept checking on it. I would like to say that Chelsea at Airbnb really jump through hoops in trying to get me resituated,but I will lay a bet that this will happen to some poor sucker from this guy in the future. Never apologized, didn't even come up with a decent story and then shows the apartment available the exact week I needed it. now I'm sure99.9% of the hosts are legitimate and very caring people but I do wish there was a more thorough screening process 4 potential host so this doesn't happen to anybody

3 Replies 3
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Colly0 

You can report the host (and/or the listing) to Airbnb by the "flag" link on the profile or listing.

This is no the way a host should manage confirmed reservations.

Bes t regards,

Emiel

Adam645
Level 4
Atlanta, GA

Colly - that's horrible! Airbnb support is typically pretty receptive to fixing issues like this. I hope they were able to get you into a new apartment and kick that host off the platform. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Colly0  hm... if you made a booking then his calendar couldn't show as available.

Even if Airbnb canceled your booking because the host doesn't want to check you in - this booking would be canceled on his behalf and those dates would be blocked.

Could it be that your reservation didn't come through? Or you paid outside the Airbnb?

Did you get the confirmation mail from Airbnb at the time of booking ... and cancelation mail when it was canceled? Are you sure your credit card was charged?