Late checkout

Clair16
Level 2
Mossyrock, WA

Late checkout

What to do when your guests do not check out and you cannot get ahold of them? 

5 Replies 5
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Clair16 call Airbnb and have them contact the guest. I am pretty confident that they will manage to get ahold of them. If not I would text them that I will put all their stuff in a corner and start cleaning. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

You have to contact Airbnb. I have had this happen (guests forgot check out day). I went in, expecting them gone, but their stuff was still in the house along with their phones. Airbnb tried to contact them using other means perhaps?, said I couldn't touch their stuff but could start cleaning any room which was clear of things (hard), offered to cancel upcoming reservation (present guests would be charged in lieu). I started in the bathroom, didn't want to cancel incoming guest, luckily present guests appeared, all was well. Anyway: What to do:

1. Contact Airbnb immediately.

Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Clair16I always send out message the day before checkout to remind the guest of checkout time. Hopefully you have done the same to avoid this occurrence.

Clair16
Level 2
Mossyrock, WA

I will in the future! 

I do alsway make sure they know that checkout time is 11:00. 

Thank you! @Alice595

Clair16
Level 2
Mossyrock, WA

My guests did finally respond to my message when they got back into phone service area. They thought that they had 1 more night. The have since paid for another night and will be leaving in the morning. 

I have learned a bit from this experience. And I will definitely be verifying check out date with each guest from no on.  Thank you all for your help and support!