Leaving books out for guests to read

Christopher555
Level 2
Liverpool, United Kingdom

Leaving books out for guests to read

I have toyed with the idea of leaving books in the bedrooms for guests to read but my partner fears that some guests will take the books with them when they leave. What are your thoughts and experiences with this?

7 Replies 7
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Christopher555  Nice books will disappear, along with maps and guides.

Spend a few bob at the charity shop on secondhand books.

Half fill a book case with paperback books and a little note that say's "Book Swap", you'll end up with more than you started with, plus you get to read the books they left.

Nakayama0
Level 8
Oyabe, Japan

How about provide books at living room, not bed rooms? And put on a shelf rather than in a drawer.

We provide a drive map around here, travel guide in this country, monthly town guide. Guests likely to read, take a photo and return at check-out.

Hello everyone,

I have poetry books in the bedroom, and untill now, none as disappeared.

Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

I think most experienced travelers use the "swap" system. My advice is to leave out books that you aren't precious about (charity shop is a good source, as @Jeff158 suggested), in differing genres. Be prepared to find some replaced...occasionally.

Really, there seem to be very few guests who make use of our books, but a handful of paperbacks available adds to your value. There will at some point be one guest who really appreciates having something to read.

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Christopher555  I provide a selection of London guide books and have never had one "removed" in the almost 5 years that I have been hosting.  Most guests are delighted to have them available and make good use of them.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I have a shelf of books that guests are welcome to take with them if they don't finish before they leave. They are either books I've read and don't care to keep in my collection, or ones that I've picked up for next to nothing at second-hand stores. Guests also leave books they've finished. 

Books of short stories seem to be popular with guests, as they are easy reads while on holiday.

If I have guests who are voracious readers who are staying a week-2 weeks, I'll also let them know they can borrow any books on my "keeper" shelf, as long as they don't make off with them when they leave. Most people who like to read have respect for books and people's attachment to them and wouldn't make off with a book you asked them not to.

Christopher555
Level 2
Liverpool, United Kingdom

Thank you, everyone! Book swap idea is a cute/cool idea ^_^