Listing common space as a bedroom

Robin427
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Listing common space as a bedroom

I recently rented an apartment listed as a 2 bedroom, however it appears to be a one-bedroom where the living/dining area has been turned into a "bedroom" simply by putting an open sofa-bed in it. There is a small table with chairs in this "bedroom" which is the only place where we can sit and eat indoors. Also the only way to reach the kitchen is to walk through this "bedroom." There is no common space inside whatsoever unless you're counting the tiny kitchen (where there is really only room for one person to stand and cook) or bathroom. I specifically searched for a 2 bedroom so that my mother would have her own private space, instead of having to sleep in the living room, but now that seems like what is happening after all. There is no closet/armoire or chest of drawers for clothes in this "bedroom" either. I have not requested a refund, because we absolutely do not have the time to be relocated, and we have already paid a lot of money for our parking for the week. There is no point to bring this up with the host, since there is nothing he can do to change the situation. I'm afraid he'll just see me as being difficult, and I don't want to risk him finding some lame excuse to give me a negative review. 

The apartment is quite lovely in many ways, but I can't help feeling that I've been duped. There were so few reasonably priced 2 bedrooms left in the city when I booked, and there would have been so much more to choose from (at better prices) had I searched for a one-bedroom with a sofa-bed in the common space. Does anyone know if listing a bedroom like this is allowable? I can't seem to find anything on Airbnb that specifies what you are allowed to call a bedroom, or what to do if you're in a situation like this but are unable to relocate. At the very least, I'd like to get Airbnb to have the host change the listing, so that future guests have an honest picture of what they're getting into.

Thanks in advance for the help and advice!

5 Replies 5
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

It is not allowed. Flag/report the host and the listing, and review it accordingly.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Robin427  This is false advertising on the hosts part and against the rules. As @Lisa723 sayd flag/report the listing and the host. I would also contact AirBnB and request a partial refund as this is not what you paid all that money for. Tell them you will stay, but feel a partial refund is due to you because the listing was not as presented and should be priced more along a shared environment, which you specifically paid more money to avoid. 

AirBnB number:

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

Robin427
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Thank you @Lisa723 and @Letti0. I contacted Airbnb, and unbelievably they said listing is fine the way it is, and that I don't deserve a partial refund. I'm completely shocked. If this is the case then every host with a one-bedroom apartment should list their apartment as a 2-bedroom, because this is such an easy way to fool the guest and make more money. The listing even shows the second bedroom done up as a living/dining room and lists "Couch" as a "common space." This is completely false. The couch can't both be "common space" and also the bed in a private bedroom. I can't believe Airbnb has such low standards for doing business. 

That is unbelievable. Did you call the US number 415-800-5959? I would try again.

Thank you Lisa. I contacted them online since I'm out of the country. I will try the US number tomorrow if they are open.