Living in the premises while renting.

Answered!
Mariflor0
Level 2
Cali, Colombia

Living in the premises while renting.

Hi all. 
I have listed my property as "whole premise" because when I started out I did not know I would be moving in. Now, I list the whole house but I say I will be living there on ocassions and that to please check with me beforehand. How does this look to you guys? It still is a big house with very comfortable rooms and the swimming pool and TV area but the main bed-room will have my stuff and, as I say, I will be living there eventhough I could move to a neighbour´s house for the time- being. 

Mariflor
1 Best Answer
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Difficult one...first of all your place looks amazing. However, if I was renting it as an 'entire property' then I would be a bit surprised to find that you were living there, and to be honest I would not be happy with that at all. 

Unfortunately your listing, if you are living there, is a shared space. 

You do run the risk of bad reviews if guests are surprised by your presence, etc. Can't remember if you have IB switched on - if so, at least turn that off so that you can chat to guests and see whether or not they mind you being present.

Also, I would expect an entire property to be more expensive than a shared one - so don't be surprised if people then think you are over-charging for what they expect to receive.

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Difficult one...first of all your place looks amazing. However, if I was renting it as an 'entire property' then I would be a bit surprised to find that you were living there, and to be honest I would not be happy with that at all. 

Unfortunately your listing, if you are living there, is a shared space. 

You do run the risk of bad reviews if guests are surprised by your presence, etc. Can't remember if you have IB switched on - if so, at least turn that off so that you can chat to guests and see whether or not they mind you being present.

Also, I would expect an entire property to be more expensive than a shared one - so don't be surprised if people then think you are over-charging for what they expect to receive.

Hi. 

Thanks for you prompt response. They wouldn´t be surprised by finding me there, I state in the description that it is possible that I am around but to check with me first as it could be the case that I won´t be there. Now, there is no feature in Airbnb that states shared premises. As I said before, it is not a room, and it is not the whole house. It can´t be listed as a room and it can´t be listed as a whole house! I could have two listings (one for the when I am there and one for when I am not) but how to manage that?

Mariflor
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Mariflor0 you can't assume people will read your listing.

Also it's not fair to charge people the same to share a spare with you as to have a whole property to themselves.

Think about this from the guests point of view.

I agree set up two separate listings and list the whole host with dates blocked out for when you are staying there and visa versa for your listing when you will be staying.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

You could have 2 listings, one for when you are there and one for when you are not.

Whole house means whole house.

David

@David126 excellent. She would have to stay ON top of her calenadar bookings though, or can you sync them?

I have heard too many people with issues to assume syncing automatically will work.

David

That is a very good answer. I will do that.

Mariflor
Peta7
Level 10
Johannesburg, South Africa

Why not; Advertise as a Boarding House. Refer definition in Wikipedia

Peta

Excellent tip. Thank you very much. I have already published two listings. One for when I am living there so I rent two rooms and another for when I am away, so I rent the whole house. Hopefully this will work.

Mariflor