Lost Superhost Status

Sherry126
Level 3
Vancouver, Canada

Lost Superhost Status

I am SO disappointed and 'Superfrustrated' with Airbnb and the lack of appeal process for losing SuperHost status.

I work hard to maintain it and I'm frustrated that people can say lovely things to your face and review you badly having no

idea on how it can impact your income.

I had someone leave a beautiful handwritten message and then rate me poorly for value because there is a shared
bathroom that is clearly stated when booking. 

Another guest who left that bathroom in a terrible state and I had to clean it in between his visits and my rating was
impacted by the other guest sharing the bathroom despite it being clean when they both arrived. 

Having no appeal process seems really unfair and it makes me want to investigate other platforms for rental options.

I would appreciate how others have handled such things and losing their status as a result. 
6 Replies 6
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Just got my SH status back today after having it taken away due to two guests poor ratings.  One was a 1 rating because I had to cancel her stay due to my sudden illness and since the cancellation was the day of her arrival, she was allowed to review.  The other was due to a couple of fellows not reading the listing correctly and expecting 2 rooms for the price of one room.  In spite of my efforts to help them find another similarly priced space, they refused to leave.

I did not find that I loss business at all, @Sherry126 .  All my guests who saw these reviews in the midst of all the 5 star reviews, disregarded them as outliers.  I have never had a guest state the SH status was a deciding factor to book my place.  Still I like having it 😄 so I understand your disappointment.

Thank you for that kind and compassiona feedback and advice. 🤗

Karen466
Level 3
Seattle, WA

I just got notified that I lost my Superhost status. Also, because of one guy who stayed for one night, and gave me 3 stars, but no negative feedback whatsoever. He just said, "great place. nice location."

I just finished chatting with Airbnb trying to get my Superhost restored, to no avail. The rep even agreed I was getting a bad deal, but they supposedly talked to their supervisor about it and was told there was nothing to be done.

I hope it's true that losing it won't affect bookings, but Superhosts are listed higher in search results, so I fear that may impact how many people see my listing in the first place. This couldn't happen at a worse time - right at the start of the busy season! Grrr...

Super Host status does not result in higher listing in the search results unless the traveler selects SH status as a filter.  Don't worry, @Karen466. If your hosting resulted in SH, then it will be evident in your reviews and your listing pictures.  The only time I mention SH status is related to the host penalty when an unwarranted cancellation happens.  

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Karen466 I am a Superhost and that has done nothing for my bookings, I would even say they are lower now so don't worry about that 🙂 And after the assessment is done it is over, but you can still work on improving and getting the Superhost status in July. 

Sherry126
Level 3
Vancouver, Canada

I saw that I had a 4.8 rating for the two months leading up to July (which I was carefully monitoring in the progress section) so was VERY surprised when they told me it was at 4.7 and I wouldn't be getting Superhost status again. I've had enough of Airbnb after a recent glitch meant I was without bookings for two weeks in the busiest time of the year for me. I've been fully booked for the last two Augusts and because of a glitch on the platform my listing was not being shown for over two weeks.

They came back with an offer of a $100 voucher for a loss of income over $1100. I've done all the right things, bent over backward to make guests welcome and do the right thing by Airbnb as well. My last bookings finish at the end of this month and I'm going to stick to forms of income that are within my control.

I'm SO sad as I've loved hosting and was bloody good at it. I am also sad when companies get SO big and profitable they no longer do the right thing by the little people who helped them get there.