Minor booking as a parent

Tom118
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

Minor booking as a parent

I'm a host (Superhost). I got a request from a woman inquiring about staying in my Airbnb. I accepted the request only to find out later that it's the woman's daughter, two sisters, and a boyfriend who are booking presumably without the mother's knowledge. I've asked for them to confirm that the mother is traveling with them and haven't gotten a response to two messages. Now I just need to cancel the reservation. I don't want to get penalized by Airbnb. I don't think it was an instant book, but I don't know how to check. (I assume if it's instant book, I can cancel with no penalty. Correct?)  If I approved the reservation under the impression that it was the mother making it, how do I go about cancelling now?  Thanks for your comments.  Tom

6 Replies 6
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Tom118,

Welcome to the Community Center. 

I was wondering if you've received a confirmation? I was able to find some helpful information that is worth having a look at. 

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/427/can-i-book-on-behalf-of-a-friend-or-family-member

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/433/can-children-travel-on-airbnb 

I hope this helps!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Thank you @Quincy  I've read these articles, but I'm trying to get the correct response regarding cancelling the reservation. I feel the reservation was made in a dishonest manner and now I'm not comfortable renting to someone other than the Airbnb guest whose account was used to make the reservation. 

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

You'll have to ring customer service, use your superhost phone number or one of the ways below:

Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide

They will contact the account holder and get confirmation that they are travelling

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Tom118

I too think it would be best to contact Airbnb as mentioned by @Jeff158

Please do let us know how it goes. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Tom118  If it was an Instant Book you wouldn't have received a Request to book that you had to accept. 

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Tom118 ,

don't get nervous about this situation.

Someone booked Your place and the profile picture shows a middle aged women, correct? Let's call that woman Sandy. So there's a rental agreement between You and Sandy. Somehow, I don't know how, You found out that Sandy is not coming but some kids are coming. But You don't have a rental agreement with these people, this is a third party booking and not allowed on airbnb. And if they are minors, they would not be allowed to book anyway.

I suggest You write to them through the airbnb messager:

"Hi everybody,

I have  learned that Sany who booked may be not coming but You kids will arrive without her. This is not allowed under the terms of airbnb as this is a third party booking.

You have these options:

1. On the day of Your arrival Sandy is in front of my door and I will let You in, rental due

2. Sandy is not present and I will not let anybody in, rental due

3. You cancel this reservation from Your side, free of charge (or 10% or what have You)

Airbnb regulations say: 

We require Airbnb reservations booked for personal travel to be booked by the person who's going to stay at the listing.

When in doubt, pls call airbnb to have this confirmed."

----------

Dont't cancel. Dont do anything just wait what happens.

Tom, You don't have a problem, they have a problem.