My first 4* review...I’m so happy :)

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

My first 4* review...I’m so happy :)

Since I started hosting my private room listing all my reviews have been 5*, which of course is amazing- but I haven’t felt like a legitimate host!

Perfect listings with perfect reviews always seem a bit suspicious.

All my co-hosted listings have 1 review that doesn’t quite match up to the rest, and reflects that every guest has a different experience of a listing.

I suppose the only difference is that my 4* guest was perfectly happy with their stay, apart from wanting more room in the bedroom (short of a re-build I’m unsure what I can do) but I am nevertheless over the moon with it 🙂

Gone are the days of my worrying about reviews...I provide my own guests and my co-hosted guests all with the same amazing service, but everyone is different and one persons stunning listing could be anothers total nightmare- I never take it personally.5ED87052-64CE-42F2-9218-4EA92C102BC9.png

Paul 🙂 

12 Replies 12
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Job well one @Paul1255 . Your thread  is a timely reminder to us all, that as hosts we all need to take a deep breath, drop the shoulders down and relax some more when it comes to reviews. Enjoy the rapport and don’t fear the possibility or speculation of comparing apples to oranges. 

I admit that I use got a bit peeved when returning guests  left me 4stars for “value”. Huh?? They sort me out to return for an eleven day stay, and the price was the same as last year...... 🤷🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️ But I did get a five star overall. Should it matter? Probably not... but I think it does help in a competitive market. But I’ll hold judgement.....

So, as I hit the ground with my feet running in my now busy season, I must “lighten up” and reduce expectations..... No calamity here!

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Cathie19 !

I like your "lighten up and reduce expectations" that will be my mantra for the summer season 🙂

Just this week, I welcomed a guest to one of my 5* rated listings, having spent 4 hours preparing it- all fine and dandy...30 mins later get a message from the guest saying it's unhabitable and they left the keys and checked-out and demanding a full refund otherwise they'd involve Airbnb CS!

Last year I would have taken to my bed and refused to come out! Instead I called CS myself to explain the situation and gave it no more worry :))

Hmm. Extortion > they were a classy act!

As for your response @Paul1255 ..... perfection!

Hibernation to lick the abstract wounds would have once also been my response. But you and I are not the offending party or are we really wounded...

Nobody needs overly entitled, self absorbed - spoilt brats around them to fill the space or dirty the positive vibe of a great homestay.

So without panic or fear.... “just keep swimming, just keep swimming” ..... OR ..... until you find another activity that better suits!

🐟🐠

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

The classiest of guests @Cathie19 @Sarah977  !!

The great thing about the situation was although I didn't for a second think CS would have my back, they actually did...the rep was surprised that the guests left without contacting them to explain what happened and get re-housed, or allow me to fix whatever 'issue' they had.

They read through the message exchange on the platform, and I suppose understood whatever was happening. They assigned me a case manager and put me on hold so they could come on the line and speak to me, and they said the only recourse the guest had was to cancel according to our cancellation policy, which the guest eventually did.

@Cathie19  @Paul1255  Uninhabitable. Perhaps they are more accustomed to and comfortable in a pigsty 🙂

Too true @Sarah977 , or some ivory tower somewhere.......... over..... the ....... rainbow!

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Cathie19 @Paul1255 @Sarah977 

Over the rainbow is a beautiful heavenly place where our beloved pets & animals go...there's some incredible ones in there playing around & looking over us all

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

WOW @Paul1255    4 stars ha? So,  you are human after all  :))))

Indeed I am ahahah @Branka-and-Silvia0 !!

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Paul1255 @Branka-and-Silvia0 @Cathie19 @Sarah977 

Paul where did you get your diagonal shaped mirror from?

It's really cool.

Nice features & private room that you offer, it's always nice to have two lots of windows in a bedroom.

Love your profiles.

You must be glad to land your feet with all your hosting!!

All the Best 

Central To All Home & Location

@Helen427  My guest room is quite small and only has space for a single bed. But I built this house, so that little room has windows on every wall- 7 windows altogether. If it only had one, or even 2, it would feel really cramped and small, but with all that light and fresh air, it doesn't feel cramped at all (also has high ceiling, which helps to feel spacious as well). With all those windows, there's really no wall space for any art- I  have one small painting on the wall, but the jungled views out the windows become the art.

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Helen427 ! It is from a DIY chain here in the UK called Homebase, it was quite the steal, but looks rather expensive.

It's great with the windows, it's a small room so lots of light helps with a feeling of more space.

Oh so much hard work to get my co-hosting business going, but now I am up and running, and managing some stunning listings I'm very happy! Most of the hosts I work with I met on this lovely forum :))