My first (somewhat) negative guest review

Anthony608
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

My first (somewhat) negative guest review

So, I have not really left any bad guests reviews yet, except for one a while ago which all I said was they left after check-out time.  However, today I actually had to state something in a review (as nicely as I could) about a guest who sent multiple messages about needing to check-in early (around 9:45AM)  which sparked a frenzy to clean thte room in time, only to have the guest arrive after 4 in the afternoon with no explanation.

Having never left a bad guest review before, I'm curious what other people have experienced.  Is the guest likely to respond?  What to do if they call or message an upset statement or even call AirBNB (well, in that case, probably nothing will happen knowing AirBNB customer service as I do).  I'm mainly just wondering how to respoond in case of retaliation, not just for this case, but future situations as well espeically in cases where I would ever have to leave an *actual* bad review, like not recommend them for future stays, which was not the case here.

5 Replies 5
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Anthony608

I wouldn't respond. Your review can be your final word. If the guest feels the need to message or call you, ignore it. If the messaging persists, report them or call Airbnb and ask them to intervene. I may be wrong but I think sending harassing messages in response to a review are extreme cases. I've left three not great reviews for guests (do not recommend) and I never heard a word from any of them.

Apparently, If you give the guest a 3 star or below and click do not recommend, they will not be able to book with you again.

@Emilia42Great Advice!  What did they do to warrant a 3?  The only thing i ever had in the 3 neighborhood was a scam to overstay the booking and try to declare residency.  But I found out way after they left so AirBNB took down my initial 5 star review instead of changing it to a 3.

@Anthony608 

Nothing too serious. No damage or anything but they just showed disrespect for the space. I don't mind cleaning up (I expect crumbs on the floor and dishes in the sink) But I do not appreciate when I have to walk around the apartment and pick up trash, dirty dishes, and half eaten food from every single surface. I do not want those guests back.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Anthony608 

don't worry, we gave a few bad reviews in the past and never heard back from guests except one guest who wrote a long response to our review

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Anthony608 Like other hosts, I've left a few (maybe 3 or 4) bad reviews, and no one has ever come back to me. They've responded to my review on their page, but that's it. I wouldn't worry about it.