My guest has a cat

Jane691
Level 2
Elmira, OR

My guest has a cat

Hello. I am fairly new to hosting on Airbnb, so I have accepted a guest with a cat. They are staying for a month, and I have now met the guest and her cat, and I have concerns of potential damage that the cat might cause to furniture and carpeting. 

I like my guest very much and she seems open to communication. What do you suggest? Should I write up some kind of agreement such that if her cat damages any furniture etc. that she will provide reimbursement for reasonable replacement costs? Other suggestions? 

17 Replies 17
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Jane691   Your listing looks very cute and comfy!  The Air BNB policies are different for long term stays.  Go to Help Center and read about both the cancellation policy and the payout policy if you have not already done that.  Do you have a security deposit for your listing?  As you probably know, Air BNB does not actually collect the deposit on behalf of the host, but the guest agrees that Air BNB has access to the payment method to withdraw funds when Air BNB agrees that there is damage caused by the guest.  If you are seeking a separate deposit with the guest outside of Air BNB, I believe that is against the Terms with Air BNB.

You are obviously pet friendly, but this is your first cat, right?  Do you have general rules about pet on the property?  I love both cats and dogs, but do not allow other animals on my property as I have a dog and do not want to deal with the behavior of other pets.  One thought about cats that is a bit different in my mind is that more people are allergic to cat dander than dogs so  you will have additional cleaning efforts when this guest leaves.  

Jane691
Level 2
Elmira, OR

Thank you, Linda. I didn’t even think about the thoroughness of cleaning after a cat. And now I remember, I’m allergic to cats. I will read the help center. 

Oh my, @Jane691  You are allergic to cats?  Glad to help.  Keep connecting with this forum.  You will learn alot!!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jane691 The cat scratching the furniture is certainly a legitimate concern. Perhaps your guest would be willing to buy a scratching post for the cat? Otherwise, you could provide her with some not-so-good towels to drape over anything that the cat could wreck.

I read something interesting about cat allergy- it's actually not the fur or dander that people are allergic to- it's the cat's saliva. But since cats are constantly licking themselves, of course their saliva is all over their fur.

Jane691
Level 2
Elmira, OR

That is indeed interesting. Lo and behold, she did in fact buy a scratching post today. Thanks for responding. 

Jane691
Level 2
Elmira, OR

Oh my gosh, Sarah, just noticed you are from Sayulita. I’ve been there, during “crab” season. That was trippy.

@Jane691

you should know that Airbnb host guarantee doesn't cover any damages made by pets. So, as it is long term booking you should have a proper contract (after 28 days she will become a tenant, not a guest any more) and think about taking pet security deposit from her .

I don't know if you ever had a cat at home (I had few of them) and they do make more damage then ordinary dog. They jump on the furniture, even high closets and overturn things, will tear the curtains if they spot a fly on the window, they sharpen their nails on upholstered furniture and carpets,, will spread their sand all over the room and if it is a male he could spray arround to mark his new teritory. Every cat I ever had has done some damage (but I loved them anyway 🙂 )

We host dogs only.

Do you suggest I refund her anything over 28 days and then ask her to make a new booking if she needs to stay longer than 28 days? Or would that get too messy with Airbnb. I know tenants have more rights than “guests.”

@Jane691I don't suggest anything, I have max stay 15 nights so even if my guests doesn't ventilate the apartment or don't clean the kitchen or overuse AC or heating, or cancel last minute etc... the damage will not be substantial.

@Jane691   Haha, I'm lucky- I don't live very close to the beach so I don't get those land crabs out here. But where I used to live, I did. I accidentally left my car windows open one night. The crabs ate all the upholstery off the seats and the inside of the car doors overnight. people I know who lived near the beach say the crabs used to chew holes in their clothes.

HannahyMartín0
Level 4
Puntarenas Province, Costa Rica

@Jane691 I would write something in your Airbnb listing for the next guests whether or not you’re pet friendly. My property is large and on the beach, I allow dogs even though We have one ourselves on my property. So far it hasn’t been an issue, but it could certainly turn into one. I didn’t know Airbnb doesn’t protect you as a host when it comes to pets. Dogs are not allowed on furniture or beds at my property and we ask them to pick up any dog poop. So far so good. Good luck, I’ve turned down a cat before, very unpredictable. Sounds like your guest is doing a good job so far.

Jane691
Level 2
Elmira, OR

Hi, Hannah. Things are working out well with my guest. She was going to stay for a little over a month but has found a place to live so she is leaving early.  She is very attentive to her cat and everything I think will turn positively for the both of us. Thanks for responding, and could you send me the link to your place? I’ve always wanted to go to Costa Rica!! Also what us the best month weather wise? Jellsworth415@gmail.com

@Jane691 If you click on any host's profile photo here it will take you to their profile and then you can scroll down to view their listing. 

Thanks, Sarah. I watch “Bachelor in Paradise” sometimes which takes place in Sayulita. Cracks me up!