My host entered my room without my permission

Yuyu4
Level 1
Vancouver, Canada

My host entered my room without my permission

Hello All,

I just want to complain about what my host did to me and seek for help. 

Two days ago, my host entered my room without knocking the door while I was sleeping in the morning. I complained about this to her, but she did not acknowledge that this is totally wrong. Instead, she blamed me that I barely stayed in my room, and I should let her know in advance if I am staying or not. Yes,  I sometimes stayed at my boyfriend's place, but that does not mean that she could just enter without my permission. Also, I don't think I need to report my schedule to her every day. According to her words, if I don't let her know I am in the room, she will just assume I am not staying and she could enter my room. So far, I have not yet received her apology for this even after I talked to her. And after that, she is just showing her real face. She blamed me for not cleaning my hair after showering. Yes, I was in a hurry, and I did not clean thoroughly that morning. But before every stay at her place, I always cleaned. I apologized to her and saying that I will clean thoroughly next time. She was just saying, "I am not talking to you friendly. You clean it today". Also, she tried to use WhatsApp to avoid using the Airbnb message system so that Airbnb could not track what she said to me. I also complained to Airbnb about this breaking in, but they could not help. They just said they recorded my complaint and I should give her a second chance. I did agree. But these days, I just feel desperate, because I don't want to stay there anymore. I don't feel safe because my host did not think she did this wrong, and she might still do the same thing again. But, I still need to pay for the rest of the days. I don't feel fair, but I don't know what to do. Please help. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Jess

3 Replies 3
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Yuyu4 what that host did was wrong. Is there a lock on the door that you can use both when you are there and you are not? I would recommend sending a very polite message saying that you are truly enjoying your stay, you have rented the entire room, the house rules do not state that you need to report your schedule and therefore you ask your host to assume you are there at all times, unless she wants to start giving you credits for the nights you are not. In that case, you will report your absences and she can come and go as she pleases. However, if you will continue paying for the space, the room will continue to be yours at all times. Also remind her that with you being gone so much she saves on water, wear and tear and has a place to herself.Don't engage with her otherwise and ask Airbnb to move you if it happens again

@Yuyu4 This host's actions have been invasive, rude, and poor etiquette, although I don't think there's any specific rule concerning onsite hosts entering a private room in their house. It sounds like she has decided to treat you like her teenage daughter rather than her adult customer. Perhaps she means well, but it's still disrespectful.

If you'd like to terminate the booking early due to a conflict with the host, you may propose to alter the booking by moving up the checkout date. This action can supersede the cancellation policy and get you a refund for the unused nights, but it requires the mutual agreement of both guest and host.

If the host is not agreeable to an early termination/partial refund, you can take your case to Airbnb - including screenshots of the WhatsApp messages. A complaint like this has teeth if you approach it with a reasonable remedy in mind, and a termination with partial refund seems fair to both parties. Of course, you'll want to have a Plan B for your accommodation, as this course of action may mean you'll have to vacate straight away.

Molly361
Level 1
Jackson, WY

I am renting an Airbnb from Karen in Chatham, IL.  The unit is a mother-in-law suite attached to the main home with is owner-occupied by the host Karen.  The host Karen informed me that she was selling the home and moving and would like to show the property.  I gave her permission for a single showing on two separate days.  She then showed the property again with asking my permission.  I asked that she not show the property again during my stay and that I would check out as soon as possible (difficult to due secondary to my work constraints).   She continues to show the property multiple times daily (but is not informing me) but will not honor my request not to enter the property with prospective buyers.  I came home last night just in time to find her about to enter the property again with other people.  I have my valuables in the property - a work computer, an $8,000 racing bicycle, jewelry).  She has offered to process me a refund but never does so.  Kindly advise on a course of action.  I have filed a complaint with Airbnb customer service but have not been offered any resolution on this front so far from Airbnb.  Kindly offer any advice you might have.