Needing Help with harsh review

Answered!
Bobbi22
Level 2
Durham, NC

Needing Help with harsh review

Hi there, I've been a host for a few months and, after all 5 star reviews and lovely guests, have a situation that has me worrying. I made a mistake with booking due to waiting for an undecided renter and then had someone on airbnb book the same place before I had a chance to block the dates. My bad. So I offered the airbnb guest my place where I live, which is the condo next door with the same floor plan, outlined the pros and cons compared to the original condo she booked, offered a big discount, and also offered to cancel the booking if she preferred that, to allow her to find another place without her being charged and while she still had around 7 weeks to book something else. I had checked and saw there were many other options available. She chose to take my condo. Then later in the day, she asked for a further discount, saying it was because it was only 1.5 baths. I agreed to a further discount, though I pointed out that the original condo also had 1.5 baths and that many 2 bedrooms in my area offer only one. I was fine with it, I had made a mistake and was willing to keep my commitment and make her happy.  Enter Hurricane Dorian predictions for our area. The day before her arrival, I messaged to see if she was still planning on coming for the family event considering the weather predictions. She said she would wait to see what the airlines said for her flight. The day she was to arrive, it was chaotic, the hurricane was supposed to effect us at some point in the evening, and I secured things outside at the condos and at my mother's place, bought groceries, batteries, water, gathered flashlights and lanterns for the airbnb guests as well as myself -  I didn't want them to be without anything they might need if the storm proved bad and we had power outages. The cleaning crew was supposed to clean while I was out. The guest messaged that her flight would arrive at 11:30 pm. When I got to the condo to put the groceries and other hurricane paraphenalia in the condo, I found that the crew hadn't cleaned some areas or had not cleaned very well. With the worry about Dorian, I figured they were in a rush. So I and my boyfriend hurriedly began to clean and I thought we would be done before she arrived. In hindsight I was very tired and should have sent a message to let her know I would be there, should have checked condo earlier (may I whine here? In the month leading up, I was ill for 2 weeks, I had handymen who didn't show because they were ill, my boyfriend lost my keys to car and house, and I had credit card fraud - still, I pushed ahead to my goal of making an enjoyable place for the guest, Tawanda!). We were minutes from finishing the counters in the kitchen, when the guest arrived just before midnight. I quickly went to the door and introduced myself as the host, and both the guest and her two family members who I think dropped her off seemed fine, the family members said bye and left and the guest stayed. I explained that we were just finishing up and would be done in a few minutes, offered her wine, cheese and crackers. She sat for a couple minutes, then asked if she could go to the bedroom and I said of course, make yourself at home, we will be done in few minutes. She came out a minute or so after and said that she was going to her brother's house and would be coming back soon. I told her we were done and about to leave. She left. A minute later we left. A few minutes after that (12:20 on on airbnb messages) I messaged her to confirm we were out, and apologized for the confusion and asked that she let me know if she needed anything. She responded "Thanks, Bobbi! "  I often greet guests when they arrive, especially if it's a late night flight when I can to make sure they have no problems getting in and settled quickly, which usually takes about 10 minutes time. All seemed fine. The morning of her departure, I messaged around 10 am "Morning! Hope you all had a great family celebration and have a safe return home. Could you please let me know when you check out. Thanks!"  15 or so minutes later, she messaged " Hi Bobbi, we are out of the condo " When I received an airbnb message that she had left a review, I gave her a review. When I'd returned to the condo, there were some lights left on, and a few things out of place, but it was in good condition. Since she didn't have any reviews and all the communications we'd had had been good, I said that she was a good and cheerful communicator and that though she didn't have any reviews yet, she said she'd stayed at airbnb's that her sister had booked and was familiar with the airbnb platform, was always welcome and a great guest. I thought this would help her in future bookings. I was completely taken aback by her review. She said that the place was  clean, a great place, and a great location - but said that because the condo wasn't ready, she couldn't stay the first night, that she couldn't log in for wireless, and that I had asked her to leave before the 11 am checkout time. And gave an overall 2 star rating. Even the location, place, and cleanliness that she said were great, she only gave 4 stars. She never told me that she was upset about anything, never told me she didn't stay the first night (in her review, she says the space wasn't ready until after 12:30, which is not true) , never contacted me re: the wireless which could have been fixed within minutes if there was a problem, and I did not ask her to leave early. If she had asked me isn't checkout at 11, I would have confirmed that it was and that I was merely asking for her to let me know when they left, that sometimes people leave earlier or a few minutes later.  I did want to see if there was any damage from the storm as soon as I could.  I will reword the request in the future to make it clearer. So, I am wondering the best way to approach this. I feel like I tried hard to please, had difficult circumstances due to the weather predictions, was clearly approachable for help or clarification, could and will do what I can to communicate better and more clearly, and always check on cleaning services earlier no matter what's going on. But, man, this is harsh, and flat out untrue on two points. I feel that I have to respond to the review, want to be clear about what happened without sounding defensive. From what I've read on forums, there doesn't seem to be anything else that Airbnb would do? I got a message from Airbnb saying that I am not meeting the basic requirements. I am now at 4.6 overall. All other reviews are 5 star, I don't have that many as I've had a couple of longer term stays. Any help much appreciated, Thanks!

1 Best Answer
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Bobbi22 phew! Regarding what to do differently next time...

- The first guest to actually book gets the dates, period.

- If you have a cleaning or other snafu, explicit communication with the guest is key-- and monetary compensation can also help.

- To forestall surprises, send your guests a message the morning after check-in asking them to confirm that all is well or let you know what they need if not.

- People don't really like to be asked when they are leaving. You could put a card in your space with check-out requests including a request for a text message after check-out.

Regarding the review, in your shoes I would respond with something like "We appreciate this guest's helpful feedback and regret that her stay was affected by a few first-booking hiccups. The threat of Hurricane Dorian affected our cleaning crew's availability on the day of her check-in, and while it's unfortunately true that we were finishing the final details when she arrived, the space was completely ready within 20 minutes of her arrival. Had this guest let us know of her difficulty accessing our WiFi, we would have addressed her concern immediately. And we are sorry if our message requesting notification of check-out may have been misinterpreted as a request to check out early. We have taken the feedback to heart and taken action to ensure future guests will experience none of these issues."

Or, you could take down the listing and start over... 🙂

View Best Answer in original post

15 Replies 15
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Bobbi22 phew! Regarding what to do differently next time...

- The first guest to actually book gets the dates, period.

- If you have a cleaning or other snafu, explicit communication with the guest is key-- and monetary compensation can also help.

- To forestall surprises, send your guests a message the morning after check-in asking them to confirm that all is well or let you know what they need if not.

- People don't really like to be asked when they are leaving. You could put a card in your space with check-out requests including a request for a text message after check-out.

Regarding the review, in your shoes I would respond with something like "We appreciate this guest's helpful feedback and regret that her stay was affected by a few first-booking hiccups. The threat of Hurricane Dorian affected our cleaning crew's availability on the day of her check-in, and while it's unfortunately true that we were finishing the final details when she arrived, the space was completely ready within 20 minutes of her arrival. Had this guest let us know of her difficulty accessing our WiFi, we would have addressed her concern immediately. And we are sorry if our message requesting notification of check-out may have been misinterpreted as a request to check out early. We have taken the feedback to heart and taken action to ensure future guests will experience none of these issues."

Or, you could take down the listing and start over... 🙂

@Lisa723Thanks so much, if i choose to respond, yours is so concise and to the point without sounding defensive - I've written some which I know are the kind you don't post - but it felt good getting it out of my system, haha! It seems like the advice to just start over on this listing might be an even better way to go. Though I'm wondering if the review stays on my profile, so would still be good to respond?

To clarify, I didn't bump this guest for another airbnb guest, I agree that that's not a good practice - I thought I had blocked out the dates while waiting for an indecisive local long term renter to decide, but didn't do it correctly, so found after the lease was signed that I had this guest had booked. I'm learning the hard way.

@Bobbi22 yes, unfortunately the review will stay on your host profile, even if you take down the listing. But the text of the review is not that bad, and you can turn it to your advantage with a measured response. It makes the guest look like a passive-aggressive b**** which she in fact seems to be. (You got unlucky there.) The real problem is the ridiculous star rating which is really going to handicap your brand-new listing. None of those issues merited anything less than four stars IMO, and 2 stars is going to pull your new listing's average down for a long time.

@Lisa723  Your take on it validates my feeling about the experience ... p-a-b, is how it feels, LOL! The star rating is rough on hosts it seems, there should be some way that Airbnb can mitigate, esp. when some of the review was exaggerated or from a misunderstanding. But your help makes me feel better at least! I'm about to respond as you suggested and move on. I have another guest coming and will focus on doing my best with them and then see what to do about the listing. Thanks again!

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

That listing of yours only has 1 review. I'd take it down and just start over again! Change the wording and take some new pictures just in case Airbnb might have a problem with this. I wouldn't even ask if you are allowed to do this. Loose lips sink ships! Assume that you can.

I know of a stay down the street from me that got a really bad first review. That stay is no longer around.

If you had a load of other 5 star reviews for that stay then that would be different. People understand that some guests are just plain complainers.

If you continue, you'll probably have to lower your price and do some damage control like the previous poster suggested. Copy and paste Lisa723's response. Perfect!

Thanks @Pete69 ! Reading your reply made me feel soooo much better.  I was wondering if taking down the listing was the way to go but wasn't sure if the review stays regardless if the listing is gone. What shocked me about this guest is that all her responses to me were friendly and Thanks!  with exclamation marks and that she chose to use the review to hurt me, knowing that I was eager to make her happy, and during Dorian preparations. She's been on airbnb since 2015 but has no reviews.

Actually not shocking. People don't want to be confrontational even if they're upset about something. They just want to get through it without the drama.

Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@Bobbi22 There is nothing to worry about your star rating at 4.6. There are many hosts who have ratings below 4.6 still have listings around. 

You just need to have a few more bookings with 5 star rating to move up your overall rating.

Thanks @Mike1034 !

I'm at 4.8 now ... and a superhost! Thanks again 🙂 @Mike1034 

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Bobbi22 I'm going to disagree with @Lisa723 a little.

By offering discounts you gave this guest the idea that she could ask for more.

It is reasonable to politely ask guests to let you know when they check out (which is how I understood it?).

I do agree that the first booked person gets the space, though.

@Mike-And-Helen0Thank you, yes I was wondering about the check out, no other guests misinterpreted this or had a problem. I do think that the guest smelled blood from the discount offer and things went downhill from there. My mistake (or the first one) was not blocking the dates properly while waiting for someone to sign a lease locally, so I thought offering her my place at a discount was another option rather than cancelling. Boy, do I wish I'd just cancelled. But was worried how that would affect the listing on Airbnb and also wanted to meet my commitment to her.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Bobbi22 

so she got a discount and asked for more discounts?  This is a major red flag!

@Branka-and-Silvia0Exactly! I felt it at the time, too. I had given her a large discount, then she asked for $5 more per night off. It didn't feel good, and her reason for it felt like she was reaching for a reason, but since I felt bad regarding my mistake and it wasn't much, I agreed. Lesson learned. Thank you!