Neighbor putting up privacy fence right in front of only window

Alisha2
Level 2
Asheville, NC

Neighbor putting up privacy fence right in front of only window

Hello! I have a situation I need help processing.  My property line is unusally close to my house (2 ft) on the side where my 2 guest rooms are.  My neighbor wants to put up a privacy fence because she feels uncomfortable with my guests being able to see into her side yard.  They have no windows on that side of their house and have 8 ft of space from the property line to their house, but want to put the fence directly on the property line which means there will be a fence 2 ft. from the window, completely blocking the view and light from the only window.  I do "get" it, and I suppose they have the legal right to put the fence on the property line, but it is really going to effect the quality of my rental to have a fence completely blocking the view from the window, let alone wondering if it could effect egress from the bedroom.  Do you think this something I just have to "suck up" or have any way to petition the fence at least being a bit farther from the house?   

3 Replies 3
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I fully understand where your neighbour is coming from. You could try mediation but think you will just have to deal with it. Make something superattractive with the screen from your side. Climbing roses, anyone?

The fence could have obscured plastic to let light through
Margo68
Level 1
Eugene, OR

international  code requires a minimum of 3 foot egress space from bedroom windows. What is wrong with people . An epidemic of privacy fences and absolutely no consideration for neighbors