Nightmare noise

Dee24
Level 2
Buxton, United Kingdom

Nightmare noise

Hi all I am having a real problem with a family of 10 adults with 10 children,the youngsters are running around the house as if it were an adventure playground,I have contacted the person who booked and asked her to tell them to stop as it is dangerous as the stairs are over 3 floors,this has been totally ignored.My neighbours are non to impressed either.I am really worried an accident might happen any advice please

6 Replies 6
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello 

Wow you must have a huge property to accommodate 10 adults and 10 children.

It really depends what you have said on your listing and house rules.

If you have something around noise and parents ensuring the behaviour and safety of their children etc

You can send a message to your guest through BnB and say that you have already asked for noise to be kept to a minimum and that unfortunately it is continuing and disturbing your neighbours. Point to the content in your listing/house rules that talks about this and say that if you are notified again that the noise is continuing you will have ask them to leave.

Wendy-and-Markus0
Level 10
United States

Hi Dee,

Sorry to hear you are going through this. I can't seem to find your listing by clicking on your name (something we used to be able to do before community center changed) as I wanted to get a sense of your house rules.

1. Do you have specific house rules for how you expect guests to behave?

2. Is the person that booked also staying in your home? If s/he isn't maybe they doesn't think your request to keep the noise and running around isn't that serious.

3. When you received the inquiry what did the booking guest state their purpose of visiting your area was?

Hosting 20 adults/children is a whole lot of people.

I suggest you write a to the point non-emotional message to the guest that booked via the airbnb messaging system explaining you are reminding them of your previous request to keep the noise levels down and now your neighbors have complained about the noise level and you need them to:

(List your needs/expectations)

I would also recommend you call airbnb to express your experience and your guests lack of consideration for your request. And you may need to ask them to leave as (list your reasons)

Airbnb may be able to contact the guest and also remind them about your house rules.

I believe if they are consistently breaking your rules, you may be able to ask them to leave (but verify this with airbnb first). How much longer will they be at your home?

If your house rules on your listing come across as very relaxed, I suggest you change them to reflect exactly what you expect of guests. Browse through other listings and get a sense of different rules that might be helpful for you to add to your listing.

Also the person that booked, did they have a complete profile meaning a picture of themselves, verified info like offline ID, did they have other positive reviews, and or references? Did you communicate extensively prior to accepting their booking? What did your gut feeling tell you about this reservation.

Again since I have no idea what kind of listing you have I am making suggestions blindly. So please take my suggestions with a grain of salt:

Consider limiting the amount of people who stay. 10 kids makes up a classroom and what comes to mind is them acting like it is a playground in your home.

Consider if you don't already listing in your rules you will need the IDs/ passports of all the adults staying (check if this is legal in your area) with the idea that this will help every adult feel a bit more responsible of where they are staying.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on what ends up happening.

Wendy-and-Markus0
Level 10
United States

Hi Dee,

Sorry to hear you are going through this. I can't seem to find your listing by clicking on your name (something we used to be able to do before community center changed) as I wanted to get a sense of your house rules.

1. Do you have specific house rules for how you expect guests to behave?

2. Is the person that booked also staying in your home? If s/he isn't maybe they doesn't think your request to keep the noise and running around isn't that serious.

3. When you received the inquiry what did the booking guest state their purpose of visiting your area was?

Hosting 20 adults/children is a whole lot of people.

I suggest you write a to the point non-emotional message to the guest that booked via the airbnb messaging system explaining you are reminding them of your previous request to keep the noise levels down and now your neighbors have complained about the noise level and you need them to:

(List your needs/expectations)

I would also recommend you call airbnb to express your experience and your guests lack of consideration for your request. And you may need to ask them to leave as (list your reasons)

Airbnb may be able to contact the guest and also remind them about your house rules.

I believe if they are consistently breaking your rules, you may be able to ask them to leave (but verify this with airbnb first). How much longer will they be at your home?

If your house rules on your listing come across as very relaxed, I suggest you change them to reflect exactly what you expect of guests. Browse through other listings and get a sense of different rules that might be helpful for you to add to your listing.

Also the person that booked, did they have a complete profile meaning a picture of themselves, verified info like offline ID, did they have other positive reviews, and or references? Did you communicate extensively prior to accepting their booking? What did your gut feeling tell you about this reservation.

Again since I have no idea what kind of listing you have I am making suggestions blindly. So please take my suggestions with a grain of salt:

Consider limiting the amount of people who stay. 10 kids makes up a classroom and what comes to mind is them acting like it is a playground in your home.

Consider if you don't already listing in your rules you will need the IDs/ passports of all the adults staying (check if this is legal in your area) with the idea that this will help every adult feel a bit more responsible of where they are staying.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on what ends up happening.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Dee24, I looked at your glorious house. I am not sure what the neighbours are hearing in the terms of children running in the carpeted house, as it seems to only have neighbouring houses, not someone living beneath? Children in the garden I can understand, but not sure you can keep that down. Children running free will be highly unlikely to care for your property very well. I am thinking the ratio adults to children is too low. You might need additional rules. Even if you say ''no parties/events'' 20 people in a house IS a party every day really.

Are they in for long?

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Looks like a terrace house so neighbours will be aware through the party wall. You seem to limit noise after midnight.

David
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

10 children - I'm afraid you really have to accept that taking a booking like this will mean a lot of noise. My two nephews can create a storm - let alone 10. It's also very late to worry about safety as you knew how many people were arriving and how many children. Hope it's not a long stay and perhaps reconsider your rules for future bookings is the best option