No help from AirBnb for Hosts

Sue102
Level 6
Sarasota, FL

No help from AirBnb for Hosts

Our guests lit fireworks and then disposed of them in the dumpster at our condo property! Not only illegal, but crazy dangerous. Fortunately, occupants in the adjacent condo discovered smoke and flames inside the dumpster, and the fire department was called to handle it. I was informed of this dangerous activity only 4 days after the fact, today. 

But back on July 5th, when the guests left, I found the condo to be an absolute mess with garbage everywhere, and the thermostat set at a bone-chilling 67F (with temperatures outside of 93F). So, I reluctantly left the guest, William Long, a bad review. Surprisingly, he has a number of very good reviews. I felt it was important to be honest to future hosts, that William and his three friends (two young couples) weren't guests I'd recommend.

Although William Long emailed me a number of times at booking and prior arrival (promising that he and his friends were great guests and would leave the condo as they found it), I didn't hear from him again. Apparently, he's not submitted a review either. Until today, I assumed he may have been embarrassed having left the condo such a filthy mess. But now I realize that it's more than that... he knew what danger he put everyone in and he likely knew the fire department was called to the scene. Perhaps they fled the apartment in the wee hours of the morning?

I contacted AirBnb today to inform them. When it was clear that I wasn't submitting a claim, my call was escalated to a supervisor whom I was told would be able to allow me to add to my review of William, at the very least. Not! Instead, listened to some "script" and was essentially told there was absolutely nothing that I could do because I had already submitted my review. It could be pulled, but I couldn't then write a new review! What good would that do?!

It is very clear to me, once again, that AirBnb no longer has any concern for hosts. Hosts are not protected in any form. But guests are given every opportunity to break rules without repercussions.

This is not the first time I have been left with this impression. AirBnb has changed, quite dramatically, in the past years. 

1 Reply 1
Cihan7
Level 2
Florida, United States

Hi Sue,

I am so sorry for the experience you have had and I agree that it is absolutely frustrating when guests behave irresponsible :(.

I have had an issue with reviews in the past as well and since then I really do the reviews about after a week a guest has left just to be sure if there is something that needs to be said or maybe not to be said is or isn't published.

On the other hand, I would have submitted a claim if they left the listing more dirty than others and if they caused you and/or the cleaners extra work and time and would have requested that amount to be taken from the security deposit.

Hope and wish you will have much better guests in future!