Normal for host to request Credit Card & CCV for security deposit?

Answered!
Ian171
Level 2
Portchester, United Kingdom

Normal for host to request Credit Card & CCV for security deposit?

I've got an accepted booking. 

The host has a "bricks and mortar" accommodation as well as through AirBnb.

The host has sent a form for me to fill in.  This asks for all our passport numbers, plus Credit Card/Expiry Date/CCV to use as security deposit.

I appreciate that optionally the host can handle the security deposit via AirBnb, but that doesn't seem to be compulsory.

I've used AirBnb 1/2 dozen times, and never had to provide any of this before.

After querying the form, they said they can only hand over the house keys after we've provided our passport details.  They've also said that we can provide the credit card details on arrival - since I refused to send them via email.

I'm fairly sure the root of this problem is that they're trying to apply their bricks-and-mortar process to AirBnb bookings - and there's a clash.

But, how flexible should I be?  

I like the security that I get from AirBnb - and am paying the service charge to cover this.  But, it feels like I'm not getting this security by filling in this external form.

What do you think?

1 Best Answer
Vanessa-and-Kurt0
Level 10
Farmington, CT

They are violating Airbnb policy by having you make any payment or produce financial information outside of the Airbnb platform. Should you run into any trouble Airbnb may not provide you any support, also Airbnb could cancel their listing at any time which could leave you without accommodations.

These are the stories that people say "all the red flags were there but I did it anyways" while they are explaining how their stay went terribly wrong on this forum.

Don't give this host any personal information or payment and find an accommodation that complies with Airbnb rules. Also, I would suggest flagging the listing to notify Airbnb on behalf of any guest who is not cautious enough to ask here on the forum.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Vanessa-and-Kurt0
Level 10
Farmington, CT

They are violating Airbnb policy by having you make any payment or produce financial information outside of the Airbnb platform. Should you run into any trouble Airbnb may not provide you any support, also Airbnb could cancel their listing at any time which could leave you without accommodations.

These are the stories that people say "all the red flags were there but I did it anyways" while they are explaining how their stay went terribly wrong on this forum.

Don't give this host any personal information or payment and find an accommodation that complies with Airbnb rules. Also, I would suggest flagging the listing to notify Airbnb on behalf of any guest who is not cautious enough to ask here on the forum.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Ian171
Level 2

Hi there,

thanks for the prompt response.

At the end of the day - it really does look like them having problem applying their bricks-and-mortar business processes to AirBnb.

They're showing 48 successful AirBnb reviews, with no negative ones.  

So, I'm reasonably confident in them.

I want to try to help them improve their practices, but be reasonable as I do it.    I like AirBnb, and I want to improve their use of it.

I'll be in lots of trouble with my family (and my in-laws) if I take any steps that end up with the hosts cancelling the booking at short notice (we go next Sunday 🙂  ).

@Ian171,

48 reviews is good but guests that cancel or are cancelled due to any reason and are given a refund are not available for review. I am nervous for you.

Ian171
Level 2

Hi there @Vanessa-and-Kurt0

I'd need real, concrete issues to cancel the holiday for two families with less than a week to go.

AirBnb is clear that no external financial transactions are allowed.

It also says that the host using AirBnb for a security deposit is optional - which suggests that it is acceptable for the security deposit to be handed externally.

I've googled and googled, but can't find anything that explicitly states it's against the rules for security deposits to be handled externally.

Could you help me out by providing a link?

If there is such a link, I can share it with the host, and improve their use of AirBnb.

Thanks,

Ian

Hello @Ian171,

Typing "security" in the "Ask a question ..." search box after clicking on "Help" shows up the following article.

Can a security deposit be collected outside of the Airbnb website?

Steve.

Ian171
Level 2

Thanks @Steve143,

that's perfect.

I've talked it through with the other travellers, and we don't want to prejudice the holiday (we travel this Sunday) by pushing the host to go down a route they may not be ready for.

In conversation we've agreed that using a Credit Card for security is exactly what we did in those years before AirBnb, and the underlying risk is no greater in this instance than it was then (even if the risk is greater than if the arrangement was purely through AirBnb).

But, after the holiday I'll both forward your link to the host, and create a case with AirBnb, so that AirBnb can can remind them of the framework within they must operate.

Thanks again for your support,

Ian

Eric660
Level 2
Bedminster Township, NJ

I just cancelled a booking I made because a host asked for a security deposit. Not only that, he asked for my credit card details outside of the Airbnb platform, which is a violation of their TOS. I have stayed in many Airbnbs and not once has a host asked for a security deposit authorization. This made me very uncomfortable and I immediately cancelled my booking and explained to the host why.