Not comfortable with guest reservation

Chris544
Level 2
Norrköping, Sweden

Not comfortable with guest reservation

I don't like the new booking system. Whenever I get an reservation, or a request, I can't extract ANY information from the guest. I can only see that they are verivied. Can't see profile pictures. I'm very selective of who I decide to stay at my place, why did airbnb remove the profile pictures?

This has led me to cancel all request from quests who does not have at least 5 previous ratings from other hosts. I absolutley do not allow any new member into my property. Especially as they usually seem think that I run some kind of a hotel business. Very rude on messages, for instance, one guest did not say hi, told me what they would do in my hometown, only "I will check in at 10"... Which I replyed, "You will check in whenever I decide you to check in" and directly cancelled the request. 

Also had a guest who had to cancel his reservation because of medical reasons. I have a strict cancelling policy, usually not a problem to give the money back, but this time I had booked a flight abroad when my guest were supposed to arrive. Airbnb decided to refund the guest, and withdraw the already paid amount to me from my next payout. What happened to the security to host? Why only prioritize guests? Whenever I travel with airbnb.. wow, I love it. But I think that there are too much focus on the guests instead of the hosts. It's the hosts of this community who runs airbnb.

I don't know. What do you guys think? Have you had any similiar situations where you feel that you are not in control of your own property?

5 Replies 5
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

There has been lots of discussion about Airbnb removing hosts right to see guest photos before booking already @Chris544  so you might want to check out these posts.

When Airbnb emailed all hosts to tell them about the change, they sent you details of how you can tick a box on your listing to say you only accept guests with a photo. If you have ticked this, you will see the guests photo on booking.

I have in my IB rules that only guests with clear photos of themselves ie not a cartoon character or flower can book. You might want to try something similar if you use IB.

I don't have an issue of only seeing a guests' photo on booking, as I have IB so I will always see the photo on booking, unless I receive a booking request. 

At the end of the day we use a listing platform/s that work best for us. If Airbnb no longer works for you there are alternative platforms you can use and take direct bookings where you can set your own restrictions.

In terms of Airbnb extenuating circumstances, yes it is frustrating when guests can cancel and get a full refund under it, but it is a term we sign up to when deciding to host and hosts can use it too if there are emergency repairs or a host illness.

Hi Helen,

thanks for the advice, I'm new to the community.

But thats just the thing isn't it? I have that boxed checked, but I will only see the profile picture AFTER I have accepted the request. Then all of a sudden, I realize that the guest looks like a member of Hells Angels, carrying guns in his profile pictures. immediately cancelled that one and recieved a penelty from airbnb. If we could see the profile pictures before we accept, and read previous ratings, that would really help us to decide if this is a respectful guest who I'm letting into my home. 

Julie143
Level 10
Princeton, NJ

“You will check in whenever I decide you to check in" 

🙂

Wish I had the guts to say something like that to annoying prospective guests.

Airbnb has the lofty ideal that anyone can belong anywhere. ANYONE?  NO!  Some people should not be welcome. Thieves,  disrespectful guests, teenagers planning huge parties,  meth cookers...

Personally, I would like hosts to receive the full name of guests before accepting a booking. That would allow us to do a little checking on social media and public records to make sure the person is not an axe murderer.

Linda848
Level 2
Townsend, TN

Why does the booking screen no longer show the guest's hometown or where they are from?  

@Linda848  They want you to accept any booking requests. Anything extra which may stop you from accepting a booking request will not be provided. Some hosts don't want to accept requests from locals because they are afraid of guests having parties.