Not getting booked like we used to

Asli0
Level 2
United States

Not getting booked like we used to

Hey everyone
We started hosting in late may and it's been great so far. We live in Chicago so lots of ppl visit thd city. However, until recently we had most of the month booked out before the previous month was over. But now we are in mid july and have only the first 2 weeks of august booked out. I wonder if it sth about our listing? When we started it was only one guestroom downstairs and a private bathroom we were renting. Now we added the second room to accomodate groups of up to 4. We didnt change the price so great value we think. We also made superhost a few days ago. Any suggestions?
9 Replies 9

Hi Asli,

Not sure about your area, but we find people  in our area are spontaneous and typically book the month before, about mid-month.

Has Chicago had any bad Airbnb press lately? Some people worry about that kind of thing.

Congratulations on becoming a Super Host! We just got a travel coupon from Airbnb for being super hosts for one year.

I would suggest sending a message to your past guests, telling them about any changes to your listing and announcing your superhost

status. We did that and many of our guests booked a second visit.

All the  best!

Laurie, The Hideaway Cottage, Mount Shasta, CA.

Mike77
Level 10
Bend, OR

Check your calendar and see the open dates, make a note of the open dates, then do a filtered search using those open dates for your city with 2 guests also in your filter.  See where you are in the listing.  If you are way down in the listings then adjust your prices so that they are in the middle of the range for your area.  Then go back and do another search and see where you are in the listings.

Mike
AirBnB Treehouse for Rent
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7292887

Kathleen57
Level 1
Knoxville, TN

I would add a fire pit if possible or something else outside the box!
Melanie58
Level 10
Boise, ID

My understanding is that the last couple of weeks in August are really dead.  Anyway, school starts so college students are traveling less, as parents get ready to send their kiddos back to school they buckle down in preparation and try to get everyone back on a schedule.  Could be a seasonal slump?  I really like the idea of looking around those dates and seeing if your competition is booked up.  That should give you a sense of whether the problem is your listing, increased competition, or simply a slower season for travel.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Once you have hosted for a full year you will have a better understanding of the ebbs and flows, and can plan when you are best having time off yourselves, if there is an annual slump.

My quiet times are the week after easter break, first week autumn term, last week Christmas term (everyone too busy with other plans?)

Jorge53
Level 2
New York, NY

Something similiar is happening to me.  I have been hosting in NYC for three years.  By July of any  given year, the following year is 80% booked.  Right now, my 2017 calendar is empty.   In looking at the 'stats'  the views are super low.  

Julia66
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Dear Jorge,

You have a super place, and I don't know why your bookings have fallen.

If I could just make three comments: 

The numbers of people (2) and numbers of beds (3) are a little confusing.  Then you give a price for two people, in an apartment that can accommodate two people.  OK so far.  But you go to explain that one of the beds is for a child.  You do not have a price for more than two people staying, so I assume a child would be free - it might be worth mentioning this bonus.  

You kindly offer to set the second bedroom up for adults, with a price; in case people wonder how this is paid, perhaps you could invite prospective guests wanting to use the room for adults to ask for a Special Offer.

You have a lot of photos of your happy guests, and they look as though they are having a great time; however this is unusual in a listing and prospective guests might not feel comfortable with being asked to pose for photos for the listing.

Good luck with the bookings and well done having a history of getting bookings for a year ahead!  

Julia

In our area, this is happening as well.  I think it has to do with more airbnb units coming on the market in the last year. 

Louise47
Level 10
Maroochydore, Australia

Maybe it is normally quite in your area this time of year