Number of guests changes after booking

Answered!
David4025
Level 1
La Manzanilla, Mexico

Number of guests changes after booking

We are in Mexico where it frequently happens that a person books an accomodation for one and then after the confirmation five show up. The same thing just happened after an airbnb booking. I guess the only option is to complain to airbnb.

David

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@David4025  What you need to start doing is to message the guests when they book or request to book, confirming that there is only one guest coming. "Hi XXX- I see you have booked for only one person. If there will be more than just you coming, you will need to change the guest count to accurately state how many people are in your group. No one who is not listed on the reservation will be allowed to enter the premises, so we need to make sure it's all correct now, so you won't be inconvenienced on arrival."

If they still book for 1 , and show up with more, you simply refuse them entry, they are trespassing. Or, as Kelly says, amend the reservation, charging for the extra guests, and make sure they officially accept it before allowing entry.

A friend here told me his property manager found 17 people staying in his house that had been booked for 6.

I'm not sure why you think you have to put up with this.

View Best Answer in original post

19 Replies 19
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@David4025Or how about only grant access to the one who booked? Or perhaps none? Or change their reservation payment to reflect the accurate guest count?

complain to abb? Might as well complain to your sofa. No help there. 

Thank you Kelly for your response.  It is a little late for me to not let them in as they are coming from a long distance. However, it will not happen again!

David

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@David4025  What you need to start doing is to message the guests when they book or request to book, confirming that there is only one guest coming. "Hi XXX- I see you have booked for only one person. If there will be more than just you coming, you will need to change the guest count to accurately state how many people are in your group. No one who is not listed on the reservation will be allowed to enter the premises, so we need to make sure it's all correct now, so you won't be inconvenienced on arrival."

If they still book for 1 , and show up with more, you simply refuse them entry, they are trespassing. Or, as Kelly says, amend the reservation, charging for the extra guests, and make sure they officially accept it before allowing entry.

A friend here told me his property manager found 17 people staying in his house that had been booked for 6.

I'm not sure why you think you have to put up with this.

Thank you Sarah; a great idea. This is my first guest through airbnb and I am on a learning curve.

David

Hello everyone, I am a newbie ABNB host, had an instant booking for 6 people and 12 showed up at the door, including 6 kids I have a doorbell camera. Had already generated a code for them to enter since, I don’t live there. My listing clearly indicates we can accommodate up to 10. And there is additional charge for any extra guests after 6. Don’t want to get bad reviews either. Please let me know what should I do?

AJ-and-Erica0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

On listing, I write that you have to add the second guest and on my pre-booking message, I ask to inform about the other guests they're coming with. If they come with someone extra, I contact Airbnb to update the reservation. 

How do you contact AirBNB to update the reservation?

I am consistently having a problem with guests being way overcharged when they add an additional person to a future booking after requesting my approval. 

It's happened each time they want go from 2 to 3 guests or 1 to 3 guests each time with my approval. 

The refund on future payments which I needed to do is very complicated and unnecessary if the site had allowed the change with my approval and within my stated policies.

Valeska11
Level 2
San Nicolas, Aruba

Can we as host amend the reservation ourselves with number of guests?

@Valeska11 

In your booking details you have the option "Change or Cancel". You should be able to amend details there if allowed.

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 Hi, I’m new to this. How do I get to the booking details?

@Valeska11 

Log-in to your Airbnb page, go to hosting, go to hosting dashboard, go to bookings, select the booking you want to edit. (Best done on a computer rather than a app. Sometimes the apps have limited performance).

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 i’m only seeing “requests” when I go on the page. Does it need to be booked before it says “bookings”?

@Valeska11 

If its a booking request you cannot change the request but (I think) you can send a special offer where you can make changes to the guests and - don't forget - the total.

You can always tell the guest that the guest total needs changing.