Partial refund

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

Partial refund

Hello all:

We've had 26 successful hosting experiences. We have our 27th group in now and they have been great, except we have seemed to have several issues all at once.  There were severe storms a few nights ago, which resulted in a leak in the roof. I felt bad and embarrassed about this, but it was a one time thing.

Unfortunately, there were area wide power outages last night and the Internet in the area is still out. The guests messaged asking how they could restart the Roku. I have since found out for certain that it is indeed not just our cabin, but area-wide outages still as a result of the power outage. 

They also said one of the deck chairs had a crack in it.

Should I offer these guests a $100 refund for all the troubles? 

Thank you! 

19 Replies 19
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@John1080 I am sorry to hear this, I hope things get better soon. You should probably give the guests a refund, they know it is not your fault but a small refund would mean that you care and want them to be as comfortabble as possible. 

@Ana1136, thank you for your input. Yes, I agree and I would appreciate that if the tables were turned and I was the guest. They are in for a full week - checking out in two days, so hopefully it'll make up for the troubles somewhat! 

I do have it listed on the listing that it is a remote area and power and Internet outages do happen from time to time, but of course most guests don't read everything and also Internet is listed as an amenity. I would like to think they aren't watching TV all the time when they are in such a beautiful area, but that is their business.

Thanks again! 

John

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@John1080it was not your fault, such things happen and your internet provider will not refund you, right?  I would not offer a refund if they don't ask .

But a bottle of wine, chocolate or something would be nice 🙂

@Branka-and-Silvia0, well live 3.5 hours away, so it isn't an option for us to do something like wine. Not my fault, no, but I would expect a partial refund as a guest. I think I'll do the $100, which is 10% of their stay and seems like a small price to pay to do the right thing. 

Thank you for the input! I'll consider all ideas.

@John1080  10% is reasonable and if it would make you feel better then it is a right thing to do 🙂

Actually @Branka-and-Silvia0 we had the same problem in september of last year and the outage was only for 8 hours, only in the capital of the state but the internet provider gave everyone in the state double the GB from what they have payed until the end of the year. So yes, even the internet providers do refund. It doesen't matter if it is not @John1080s fault, it is the considerate thing to do and I am sure they will greately appreciate that.

@Ana1136

we had malfuncioned router which disconected occasionally by itself causing us a lot of trouble as we had to drive to the apartment to restart it manually.

We called our internet provider's help line numerous times until they finally came and changed it after 6 months . We didn't get any refund, not even "we are sorry" 

@Branka-and-Silvia0 that is really bad customer service, here they usualy come the next day. Not everything here runs that smoothly as I am sure you know, but those kind of companies offer good customer service. To be honest I wouldn't even wait for 6 months, I would just change the internet provider after a couple of weeks max.

@Ana1136I would also ...but I was under the conItract for 2 more years and I didn't know why is it happening... is it router, wires or else ...

In Croatia is very complicate to fix any problem, for example to fix a water heater the repairman came 4 times in 2 weeks until  it was finally fixed.  And nothing can be fixed the same day... you always have to wait for days ...

In Croatia is easier to find a good huband then a good repairman (or any kind of contractor)   😄

@Branka-and-Silvia0 lol, I guess that is why everyone here in Macedonia loves Croatia 😄

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@John1080, if you have the odd hiccup and being too far away to scoot over with a treat, what you could do is this: But something which will not spoil. Wine, whatever. Then hide it, and hide it well. Then, when guests next need jollying up, tell them where to go to collect their surprise. Fun to seek treasure.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @John1080,

So sorry hear about that. 

I hope everything works out for you!

Quincy 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

@Quincy, yes it seems to have. I have given the guests a $100 refund. They have checked out with a nice message and I just hope for a decent review, which I think they will give. Heading to my property tomorrow to fix the roof and just waiting for our little rural Internet company to restore service.

Rocky Mountain living ha! 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That sounds great @John1080!

I'm glad to hear you're getting things fixed over there! Let me know how the review is :-). 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen