Personal ID data gathering - Not GDPR conform and without any info what is done with my data

Personal ID data gathering - Not GDPR conform and without any info what is done with my data

Today I was forced to provide a private personal Photo ID by an American privat Corporation doing business in Europe.

Not only that I have no idea why they think they can ask for personal ID information store it in their Servers and feel that is ok without giving details why, no this handling is also in direct violation of European GDPR.

It is not provided in detail why this is required or what is done with this information nor how it is stored nor how it will be deleted after the required timeframe by gdpr.

The customer is not informed about whom his info will be handed over to.

Are we in a police-system here? 

Airbnb:what is going on?

How do you justify this intrusion into my personal rights? 

Do you like your customers to refrain from using your platform?

4 Replies 4
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Anonymous 

what are you to them ? their host or their guest?

in some countries like Italy, Croatia, etc... every guest has to be registered at the police so every guest even infant is obligated to show his ID or passport to the host, hotel, hostel... It is not against GDPR, hosts are obligated to delete or destroy this information after it is used for registration.

Not in my country and yes it can be against GDPR if the requirements of the how are not met.

we are hosting.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Anonymous as @Branka-and-Silvia0 said. We also have to collect data to submit to the police station and fill out the book for guests in case inspection comes. Believe me I don't want to have to be doing that either. It is time consuming and quite boring to be honest. But I don't want to have to pay a fine as big as my summer earnings either so I do it anyway and it is very helpful if the guest reads the rules about the place they are visiting and knows what to expect. 

Ana, you describe the need to fulfill a macedonian law requirement.

That is fine.

I say there is a European law called GDPR that is also a law. This law entitles me to know what is done with my personal data. It requires Airbnb to tell me what they do with it, how long they will keep it and when they will delete it. Indefinite storage is forbidden. Further more it requires me to agree individually to each entity this data being  shared with. 

This information is not present at Airbnb 

airbnb does not tell me how my information can be deleted, which is further more my legal European right.

it does not tell me where it will be shared (specifically worrying because for example data that travels to the US is by Law there automatically doomed to be shared with the officials by patriot act.) 

I want to offer people a good and friendly way to stay in Ireland and maybe make a couple of bugs.

This wanting is not strong enough to allow all and anyone handling my data at free will. Specifically handling by a corporation breaking regional and EU law.