Pet cleaning fee

Answered!
Gary553
Level 2
Livermore, ME

Pet cleaning fee

Having trouble here in Maine,  I want to add a pet cleaning fee for 2020; can anyone help me ? 

Thanks,   Gary

1 Best Answer
Gary553
Level 2
Livermore, ME

Oh Linda you have the perfect solution, I will follow your suggestion. 

Many thanks for problem solver next year I will act on your plan.    Gary

View Best Answer in original post

31 Replies 31
David6505
Level 3
Colchester, GB

Why is AirBnB not reading, listening to or solving this problem about charging pet fees. I have lots of pet hair on and under furniture after guests with dogs have left. This costs me more in time and often housekeeping costs.

What is the point in having a community discussion if AirBnB has nodded off and is doing nothing about the problems raised?

Looking at at earlier posts, Hosts have highlighted this problem and been been asking for a solution since at least 2016.

Wake up AirBNB at least try to make an effort to look as if you care about the hosts that are responsible for paying your wages!

This is one of the earlier posts I mentioned but AirBnB still hasn't added the Pet Fee button to the booking page:

Airbnb added the 'bringing a pet' button so that guests can indicate if they are bringing a pet.  However Airbnb still has yet to add the 'pet fee' button for a host to add a pet fee to that booking.  I know I can go in and do the lengthy explanation and then the 'special offer' to the guest and add the pet fee that way, but why doesn't Airbnb make it easy for the host.  Afterall, the other sites (vacationrental.com and flipkey.com) both do this for us!

Yeah, this whole time I’ve not charged for a pet and it does take my housekeeper much longer to clean because other guests might be allergic that are coming, and she has to get rid of all the hair. Plus, the stains they leave in the carpet, which surprisingly enough, everyone has not admitted to being responsible for after staying there. 

Hi - Your NEW Pet category that requests additional fees is a good concept; however, your programing platform can do with much improvement!
Presently you only offer a "Trip Fee" which is TOO GENERAL and needs to be improved! Example: If I decide I would like to charge $25 PER TRIP, for 1 pet I am considering my average 2 nite stay – and that would be OK.... When the average changes .... what then qualifies a trip?
What I would charge for a basic 2-night stay – I would not charge for a LONGER period... That is not OK with me. And what I would charge for ONE PET, I would not also charge for 2,3,4, pets !!
There absolutely needs to be a category/scroll-down menu that offers options based on QUANTITY OF PETS, AND QUANTITY OF NIGHTS! – which varies on a case-by-case basis!
Offering a scroll-down menu to increase fees is mandatory!
MULTIPLE PETS, create MULTIPLE DAMAGES and with MULTIPLE hairballs and MULTIPLE purchases of ALLERY safe products for people who are animal sensitive and Dander allergic!
I had inquired about this to your Super Host support agent and all he suggested was to bring it up at a later date thru’ The Resolution Center! This does not make me comfortable and brings about bad blood btw the guest and Host; however, if you had drop-down menus for all scenarios
I would not have to confront guests later in the Resolution Center simply due to your LIMITED PROGRAMMING OPTIONS.
Please consider MORE than ONE fee for MORE than ONE Night, and for MORE than ONE Pet – Thank You!

@Trisha37  This is a discussion forum for hosts and guests, not Airbnb itself. You have to send feedback to them on the main website.

David6505
Level 3
Colchester, GB

Amazing! you can't even copy and paste an earlier message without AirBnB messing it up!

I'll try once more then I am going to bed to calm down!

Vilano Beach, FL
Level 1

Airbnb added the 'bringing a pet' button so that guests can indicate if they are bringing a pet. However Airbnb still has yet to add the 'pet fee' button for a host to add a pet fee to that booking. I know I can go in and do the lengthy explanation and then the 'special offer' to the guest and add the pet fee that way, but why doesn't Airbnb make it easy for the host.

Eric4285
Level 1
Ocoee, FL

I totally agree that Airbnb should add the pet fee. It is just ridiculous that the host would have to go through all the hassle to go to the guest and ask for additional money after the reservation is accepted. Not only a hassle for the host but also the guest. Come on Airbnb, WAKE UP!!!!

Piotr48
Level 10
Wrocław, Poland

Please add pet fee option!

Douglas52
Level 2
Colorado, United States

I tried adding a pet fee following Linda's solution (list the requirement and ask for money after booking). I stopped after people said they were "service animals" or "emotional support animals" and I read Airbnb's policy that not only are you not allowed to charge them a fee, but you are not allowed to ask for supporting documentation.  I added something saying there would be a fee charged after the stay for excessive cleanup, and defined that as best I could, but trying to collect after a stay is generally not accepted happily by guests. So I've pretty much accepted it as one of the downsides of using Airbnb, which means more hosts will just ban pets completely.

I feel that Airbnb should allow a pet fee for non-service/ESA animals, and that they could ask for documentation ahead of time, as they do for IDs and such..  This is clearer for "service animals," but owners of "emotional support animals" must be able to provide a letter from a medical professional  - not a printout from a web site offering "ESA registration" for a fee. This is a real mess (in more ways than one) as many people don't understand what a "Service animal" is and think that they can just say they have that or an ESA and it's illegal for anyone to question them. In Airbnb's case, this is effectively true. 

At the very least, I'd like Airbnb to provide more accessible, clearer guidance on this issue.

Now about all the guests putting down that they are one person and showing up with more...

I wonder what law is behind the no charging a pet cleaning fee for SA.? There is still extra cleaning involved weather they are SA or not and also the guest will be making that choice up front if the Airbnb website gave them the option. I think Airbnb has to rethink this because there is great opportunity in being pet friendly, I have to board my dog when I travel and I much rather pay an extra cleaning fee. I think they are missing a great opportunity not supporting the hosts. 

Great points, Douglas. I’m pretty sure the legal exposure is why Airbnb doesn’t want to provide the Pet Cleaning Fee button. Then again, other home stay operations do offer it...

I recently because pet friendly and I have been having the guests add their Pets as guests so the es tea charge can be added. That only works when I have 4 guests since after that it charges $12 per guest per day. 
The resolution center seems to be the next option but it’s A hassle and not a guarantee that you’ll get it. 
I have the fees on the description and I verify with the guest before I approve their stay but I still think there should be a better option. 
In the adult, child guest selection there should be a pet one as well for the pet friendly Airbnb's that way we know how many pets will be coming and that way the extra cleaning fee can be computed. I really hope the implement changes onto their site 

Mary256
Level 2
Kenmore, WA

Totally agree. I have been dealing with the clumsy workaround for SEVEN YEARS now. It's way past time to set up a good mechanism for guests to note that they are bringing a pet, and have the fee added automatically!

Lauren338
Level 8
Los Gatos, CA

They add all kinds of other "features", but not something TRULY helpful like a Pet Fee option. I don't want to say I allow pets because I do like to have a description of the animal and explain my rules before I approve.  If Airbnb doesn't want to specifically allow a Pet Fee, they should allow you to "create your own" extra fee section.  For instance: Early check-in/Late check out, firewood, kayak rental...  It would really be useful. As someone else said, VRBO has this option.

C'mon AIRBNB!  Help a host out!

Waleska8
Level 2
San Antonio, TX

This is a big problem , i have had guest that have left without paying the extra fee. since they can book and stay and not pay. I hop Airbnb really reads and cares for these concerns, we pay a fee for improvement, but i don't see solution to most of my concerns.