Plumbing Issues after guest departed.

Susan44
Level 1
Franklin, TN

Plumbing Issues after guest departed.

I have searched the community site for plumbing issues, but must be doing something incorrectly. I apologize in advance if this answer is readily found. I had guests check out this morning and expect new guests to arrive around 6pm this evening.  When I arrived to clean, I spotted at once all the toilet tissue was gone, very little on the rolls in each of the three bathrooms.  I had wondered if they actually used them all, or simply took the extras with them. 

I went on to cleaned all all three toilets with no problem. When the linens where in the drain cycle of the wash, all the water came up in each of the three bathrooms - tubs and showers both. Plus the toilets will no longer flush. I have an emergency call into the plumbing company. 

My question is:  Do I ask the previous folks (they do not answer the phone) what happen?  Do I notify the new guest there is an issue, or wait a bit to see if it can be resolved before they arrive?  If it shows to be something from the previous guests, can I submit a claim?

thank you in advance for taking the time to read my question.  

3 Replies 3
Luis-and-Tati0
Level 10
New York, NY

@Susan44

Hi Susan, sorry to hear about your problem... 

Now it’s scramble time!

First thing is notify your guests of the possible inconvenient when they arrive…

If you can’t fix yourself get help, your arriving guests could ask Airbnb to leave your property if you don’t get it fixed for them…  In this case 100% of their payment will be refunded

Usually toilet tissue alone won’t clog a pipe if not intentionally somebody shoved a lot of them all at once…  They will break apart and dissolve pretty quickly if disposed correctly…

After the clean up and problem fixed, contact your guest previous and ask if anything wrong happened in there… If you feel they act with bad intentions you can use the resolution center and ask money for damages and make them pay your plumber.

Usually I don’t do anything if the toilette or sink is clogged… But I certainly would use the security deposit if I have evidence that they shoved a entire roll of TT inside the toilette…

Here is the link for the resolution center if you need

https://www.airbnb.com/resolutions

Luis

@Susan44 You might want to immediately open a complaint in the resolution center. This forum has taught me that you have 48 hours after the guest checks out to initiate this process. Hope you don't have to, but I also don't want you to lose out on the option. 

Susan44
Level 1
Franklin, TN

Thank you both for taking the time to give awesome advice in a timely manner.  Update to yesterday's fiasco:

The Plumber from Lee's Plumbing arrived just before 4pm.  He immediately went to the outside trap - good for me to know in future as it tells whether the stopage is in the house, or between house and septic.  He says it will be $400 to check further.  I paid the $49 service fee and called my good friend who installs most all the septics in the county.  His two guys arrived at 4:45pm.  They opened the septic and showed where just a huge wad of toilet tissue was balled up at the mouth of the septic.  By 4:10pm I waved good-bye and all was perfectly resolved.

I contacted the gentleman who stayed the previous two nights.  Either he had no idea, or did not want to admit to any issues.  I quickly found myself treading easy to assure him there was no problem now; and, was thrilled he enjoyed his stay.  

The new guests arrived around 6:30pm and never thought to suspect a problem.  Tricky.  Must be a delicate balance whether to alarm a guest for no reason, or alert a guest to a possible hairy situation.  Experience is priceless . . . . 

Thank you again for responding to my questions.