Possible Scam

Possible Scam

I've read through some of the possible scams..Has anyone experienced this?

I just got asked (second time by different person) for a few month reservation, their profile is not complete and they ask to come see the room ahead of time

I said NO of course, that is not airbnb policy or ours to give out address. They have to completely book and have  full profile. I do not do instant book, I need to know why they are coming and litlle more about them. 

I saw in one of the community repors the scam where people are getting addresses then credit cards. I'm not sure how they can do that.

This is disappointing to hear about the new scamming things going on...makes me wary of even being a host.

I did have one time a few years ago when someone di d show up at our door and never made a inquiry. Somehow they got our address. Probablu easy these days with internet. 

3 Replies 3

Also will we get dinged as hosts if we 'decline' (cause we have a gut feeling it is a scam)?

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Marta-and-Arnold0 

I also don't do Instant Book.

.If it's just an Inquiry you don't even need to 'Decline'. Simply stop responding.

If it's a Reservation Request you should 'Decline' and give your reason in the explanation box. 

If as it seems request to view is on the message thread, Airbnb will see it as clear infringement of rules.

So you can flag & report Guest to Airbnb.

Consider to phone Customer Services, which is followed up by email from person you speak to.

Carolyn377
Level 2
Ocala, FL

This happened to me today! The only verification she had supplied was an email address. Fortunately, a legit reservation came in for the weekend before I even had a chance to consider it any further. I went ahead and reported the profile to AirBnB for them to look into further.