Real or a potential scam?

Carolyn377
Level 2
Ocala, FL

Real or a potential scam?

I received the following inquiry:

"I was wondering if I could book it for a week and then when I get paid on checkout day I can pay for another week? It’s just I cantpay the whole 440 and book it for 2 weeks at once."

I told him that yes, he could book another week through the AirBnB system. Then I noticed he lives in the same city AND has an "infant" (my listing explicitly says no young children). I asked him about these, and he responded:

"6 months old. He doesn’t crawl yet and we have a pack n play he can stay in. There’s some house problems going on right now and need to be gone for 2-3 weeks and hotels that are within our budget are booked until the 1st"

Next he offered, "I live off of 36th as well so you’re super close to my job and my girlfriends" (presumably job, not house)

Although he's provided 7 verifications according to AirBnB, he joined in 2019 and doesn't have any reviews. I hate to be suspicious, but does this pass the sniff test?

4 Replies 4
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Carolyn377  It could well be genuine but you don't take little kids so just say no.

Thank you, Jeff. I don't know what to do -- my share of $440 is a lot to turn down.

@Carolyn377 

Accept the baby and get the 440 or don't accept the baby and don't get the 440.

There are no other options. We all can't help You with this decision.

HaHa, Thank you, I know you're right. I've already approved their request.