Reimbursent won't be honored

Tyson19
Level 1
Dallas, OR

Reimbursent won't be honored

I had a host cancel 3 hours before check in after my flight landed on a trip with my 2 and 4 year old. I called airbnb and spoke with Gerald and advised that similar accomdations would cost about $2500 which is more then I paid for the airbnb and he confirmed they would reimburse the difference. In the next few days he sent several follow up messages asking for a hotel reciept which I didn't yet have as it wasn't given until check in. After I uploaded the receipt I recieved no response for a week so I called airbnb. The rep I spoke with offered to reimbuse 50% of the difference at that time, I declined as Gerald had told me he would reimburse the full additional amount, she said she would ping Gerald and he would contact me. After another week I called again and spoke to a different rep who assured me Gerald would call back, this rep stated that generally they would only offer 10% of the additional amount so I'd have to speak w Gerald. After another few days and a few more calls I recieved a message from Tristan who indicated that as a "courtousey" they would refund what I paid for the airbnb that was cancelled but nothing beyond that. After multiple calls and long holds and being hung up on multiple times I spoke with a rep named Patrick and pled my case. Patrick put me on hold and came back and indicatated that they would reimburse the full differnce and I needed to add a payment method to my account. I confirmed multiple times with Patrick that the decision by Tristan had been overturned then sent a follow up message in the app since Airbnb doesn't keep to their word and Tristan indicated he would review the call. I finally spoke with him a while later and he told me they couldn't locate a copy of my call with Gerald, they couldn't locate my call where the rep offerred 50% and when he listened to my call with Patrick half the call cut out and he could only hear Patrick educating me on adding a payment method for the "courtesy" refund. Eveytime I try to talk to someone above Tristan I am put on hold and the call eventually drops. What options do I have at this point? The call center is worthless as they continually lie, hang up on me, and ignore my message in the app. Is there a formal appeal process I can take or do I need to go to small claims court arbitration if I wish to take this further?

6 Replies 6
Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

Could it because the difference between the Airbnb you booked and the hotels you stayed is too much? I just wonder how much the difference is. It could help us to make right decision when we encounter such situation.

I remembered that my booking was canceled by the host just before my check-in. And I called Airbnb support. Airbnb found another Airbnb place to place our group instead of telling us to book a hotel.

my issue is that I told the Gerald how much I would be paying for the hotel BEFORE I booked the hotel and he said I would be reimbursed. Now they are not honoring that or offering anything above a refund. I have also had 2 reps tell me generally they reimburse 50% of the additional hotel amount but then when I follow up in writing I am ignored and they magically can't find any of the calls where I have been told this.

@Tyson19 

Based on all the stories I've read over the years.....  it seems that most of the time Airbnb never pays for hotels. For last minute host cancellations, their basic policy seems to be to issue a full refund plus additional credit anywhere from $100 ~ 10%  of the original reservation total, so guests can book an alternate Airbnb that is slightly above what they paid before. Airbnb will also help guests find an alternate Airbnb and even contact the host on your behalf to arrange the last minute booking if you ask them too. 

Looks like you were misinformed by another clueless CS rep. And there are hundreds of stories quite similar to yours.........

Where did you find a number to call Airbnb? My month long accomdatios had TICKS and SPIDERS in the beds and nobody will respond via email. Any productive suggestions are welcomed. 

Kate204
Level 2
Vincentia, AU

Airbnb has had some serious complaints about the guest (like theft, physical or verbal abuse, using Airbnbs to deal drugs or for prostitution, etc.),