Repayment for a shirt

Shaunette0
Level 1
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg

Repayment for a shirt

Hello,

I have my studio on airbnb, recently I have had a few airbnbers stay at mine whilst  away.

The most recent airbnb has asked me to refund him for one of his shirts. This is due to when he used the iron it left burnt residue on it. i have a photo of the shirt, and a photo of the iron. 
I am unaware of which previous airbnb has broken the iron. 

Would anyone have advice for me? 

3 Replies 3
Jonathan6
Level 10
Mamaroneck, NY

It's your iron and it had something on it that ruined his shirt, why would you not pay him for the damage?  You are the host and responsible for any damage that occurs due to your negligence.  Just because someone previously left it there, it doesn't become his problem.

This is a cost of doing business in the hospitality space.  A failure to pay him for the shirt will probably end up in a bad review that will cost you more in the long run.  Also, doing the right thing may create a repeat guest.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Shaunette0 did he burn his shirt while he was ironing because the temperature was too hot or the iron had something on it that caused the fabric to burn faster? Either way, how can a person not know how to iron? If the temperature it too hot of course he will burn it, if the iron had anything on it how didn't he see it? You are not responsible for his negligence, but you are responsible for keeping your appliances in working order. I would just offer an apology and a nice bottle of wine. In the end, you can't know if the iron made the mark because it had something on it or he used it too hot and he left the residue on it but just says that it was there so that he doesn't look guilty. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Shaunette0

How did everything go? 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen