Requesting Money

Bronte5
Level 1
Kempsey, Australia

Requesting Money

Hello, 

I need advice regarding a Airbnb I just booked in New York, It was a place that fits 8 people. We checked out today and I receive a bill for $1430.00

Saying we didn’t check out in time so we got fined. Although I have photo proof with the Uber’s we booked that we did as it shows the time.

We also had a noise compliant and he charged us $1000.00 for that... Mind you that is was a place of 8 people. 

We also got charged for the couch being broken but it fully collapsed when we sat on it.. the leg went out. Luckily no one was hurt, It was cheap furniture that was put together poorly and we were charged $340. 

I’m currently in the resolution center,  is it best to offer a different amount or decline  ? 

I can understand why he would charge for the couch although I don’t think it was all our fault. Any advice would be appreciated as I can’t afford it. Thank you 

3 Replies 3
Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Bronte5  Based on what you wrote, I don’t know how much the host made the claim ? Is $1430 the total amount or just a late check out is $1430?

It is good that you did not deny the breakage of the couch and noise. Airbnb claim process requires all proofs of invoices or receipt for damages. Therefore, you can certainly negotiate with the host for the necessary compensation such as the couch. 

If if you were really late in checkout, the maximum is double of one night rate. As for the noise, did the HOA or police fined the host for $1000? If there is a receipt of the fine, you may have to pay it. Otherwise, it is not reasonable to ask for $1000. You don’t have to agree with the host for what he asked. After 72 hours, if both of you don’t come up with agreement, the host has to initiate the involve of Airbnb. Airbnb will review documents provided by both sides to make the decision.

Hopefully you can learn from your mistakes instead of finding excuses for the damage and noise. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Bronte5  Just because a place accepts 8 guests doesn't mean that's somehow license to create a noise disturbance or be careless with the host's furnishings. There seems to be perception these days, particularly among young people, that "Airbnb" means "Party house". It doesn't. It's a home, not a nightclub, a bar, or an events venue.

I have no way of knowing if the couch was poor quality or ready to break anyway, so I have no idea if you and your friends were being rough with it, or had 6 people sitting on a couch that was obviously designed to hold 3 or 4. 

It is admirable that you are not denying the noise and the damage and hopefully you can come to some negotiation with the host, and as Alice said, learn something from this experience so you are thought of as a welcome guest going forward. The host may be being a bit unreasonable in what he is charging you, but since it's just your side of the story here, it's hard to judge that.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Welcome to CC@Bronte5 

It's welcoming to see you been so upfront about your issues & admit to been naughty Australian's across the blue ocean been in trouble with a noise complaint!!

Do mention that you are truly contrite for having done that it if someone has complained to help right wrongdoings.

Ask the local the Host/ Local Authority to send you a copy of it because as you know Local authorities and those who don't understand the benefits of ABB tend to target those who are staying in ABB accommodation & conveniently overlook that those who live in other places also have noise complaints which needs to be aired more openly in the wider community.

In regards to the couch, do you have any before or after photos?
Make sure you take a copy of the listing if it's still in there for your own files.

It would pay to keep an eye on it to see if the chair is changed, or perhaps has been fixed.

Sometimes screws wriggle loose which can contribute to accidents occurring beyond anyone's control.

All the best & nice to see a Guest checking in to use CC & contribute.