Reservation Requets

Peter1037
Level 2
Dahlonega, GA

Reservation Requets

We have people who submit a request which is really a question using specific dates they have no intention of using. If we can decline we get penalized. What do you recommend?

3 Replies 3

@Peter1037  These probably aren't Requests, but rather Inquiries. You only have to write a response - it's not necessary to decline or pre-approve them.

If someone sends a Request, it's binding - the second you hit Accept, they get charged for the dates specified. It would be very odd if someone was willing to risk losing money just to ask a question.

If you do get an inappropriate Request, decline it. The "penalties" are mostly BS scare tactics on Airbnb's part - an arbitrary drop in your Acceptance Rate has no real or lasting consequences, but one bad booking can do immeasurable harm to your home and reputation.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Peter1037 

if they send you a request ( not an inquiry) then ask them to withdraw it immediately or you will have to accept it within 24 h and their account will be charged. You can instruct them to use "contact host" button in the future if they just want to ask a question.

If you decline a few requests in a row your search rank could deteriorate and you could get a warning from Airbnb so try to decline as rare as possible.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Peter1037 

If it is in fact a request to book, and not an inquiry, (an inquiry only requires a written response, no pre-approve or decline needed) I would go ahead and accept it with this message: "The answer to your question is XXX. I would love to have you stay and I will accept your request for the selected dates. If you do not wish to continue with the reservation for those dates or be charged by Airbnb, you can withdraw your request by 5pm today."

Once guests hear that they will be charged for the reservation they will all almost immediately withdraw.