Revenge Reviews

Martha389
Level 2
Alfredo V. Bonfil, MX

Revenge Reviews

Hi, I just had a bad experience with a guest and her group. 

They left the house very dirty and with ashes everywhere on the floor, couches, fabric couches, office and rooms. Which needed a lot of extra cleaning time and extra cleaning products. She also lost the 6 keys set. Broke two glasses, left a spoon in the trash and left rests of weed in some areas (smoking and drugs are not allowed). She was denying everything and felt upset but I had pictures and I did contact the AirBnb support team. At the end she did pay for the cleaning service and other details. But as I thought her "revenge review" did affect my 5 stars rating to a 4.5 😞  She had no previous comments and has a recently created account. 

I tried to be as honest and objective as possible, THIS WAS MY REVIEW:

""""Arrangements before arrival completely clear, arrival on time (early check-in previously requested), no comments or complaints from the guests during their stay, late check out on time (asked a couple hours before).

Lost keys, ashes on the desk and full ashtray in the office, ashes on the floor and couches of the TV room, ashes on the floor and on every fabric couch of the living room, ashes in room #4 and ashes in room #2 (smoking is NOT allowed in the house), extra cleaning time and extra cleaning products needed. House metal spoon taken out from the trash, broken water glass and liqueur glass. ALL PAID when requested.  

Cleanliness ★★★ Communication ★★★★ Observance of House Rules ★★""""

On my listing reviews I can only see the guests comments and not my answer. I also tried to look for the property reviews and it only shows her bad review and not mine. 

In her review she did mention details she never told me about during or after her stay, she rated me with 2 stars, which clearly isn´t true given my all other 5 stars ratings. She mentions I gave confusing house rules and I can't find a way to be clearer when I wrote the House rules at the AirBnB page, I left a sheet with the House Rules at the entrance of the house and I left a second sheet with the House Rules at the Tv Room.

I'm not happy with this evaluation system which allows bad (new) guests who are charged for their disaster to review you at please. 

I think something has to be done about it. What do you think about it?

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Martha389 

The guest review is in your profile, there is no public comment from you on it (yet). Your review is in the guest profile, she also did not write a public comment on it (yet). You will find a lot of similar postings about this subject in the community, as you are not the first one who experienced this. Bringing up a claim is almost a garantee for getting a bad review. BTW the guest wrote: "Host included false advertisement on smoking accommodations / events on Airbnb page". What does she mean by this ? I looked at your house rules, it is a very long list, but regarding smoking it is clear.

Best regards,

Emiel

Debra279
Level 2
Cape Coral, FL

I agree something needs to change here with bad review system, we hold up our end and it appears the bad guests overrule is. Services fees perhaps.?

Heather576
Level 3
Port Lincoln, Australia

Yes I agree something needs to change. I’ve had 114 good reviews and after 1 bad experience with disrespectful guests I paid the price for declining their request to stay longer with a bad review!

i feel Air BnB should judge this by the facts that this was a new profile(guest), no reviews, compared to my 114 good reviews.

it makes a huge difference in star ratings, and affects future bookings. I have had considerably lower booking rates since.

Dimitris107
Level 2
Heraklion, Greece

Had similar bad experiances and in 2 weeks got 2 all 1s "reviews " and an all zeros one couse i had to cancel since they wouldnt agree to any "no parties inside " rule and the  responce i got from support is "they should cancell " as they break the rules but i  got severally penalised  . From "superhost " status to "you are in danger " . Disapointing and insulting to throw your efforts to trash like that .

Bob-and-Mitzi0
Level 1
Kernersville, NC

REVENGE REVIEWS SHOULD BE BANNED

Recently had a revenge review on my site because I caught the guest bringing drunk girls in a couple of nights. While I had to appeal to Airbnb to have damage they caused reimb

Recently had a revenge review on my site because I caught the guest bringing drunk girls in a couple of nights. While I had to appeal to Airbnb to have damage they caused reimbursed and additional guest fees paid, they refused to remove the review and ratings. The wording of the review actually wasn’t bad but the ratings brought our yearlong established 5.0 down to 4.92. The guest did mention he didn’t like the cameras, but our listing does clearly state we have outdoor (only) security cameras always active.

Maybe we can convince Airbnb to remove obvious revenge ratings - such as when the guests clearly violated rules and there’s no prior track record of normal guests giving poor ratings. 

ursed and additional guest fees paid, they refused to remove the review and ratings. The review actually wasn’t horribly bad but the low ratings brought our yearlong established 5.0 down to 4.92. 

Maybe we can convince Airbnb to remove obvious revenge ratings - such as when the guests clearly violated rules and there’s no prior track record of normal guests giving poor ratings. 

**[Sensitive content hidden - Community Center Guidelines]