SECURITY CAMERA

Kari27
Level 3
Sacramento, CA

SECURITY CAMERA

Airbnb security team contacted me and stated my account was suspended due to a guest stating I had a security camera. I followed Airbnb's policy listed the camera in my house rules and where it was located, outside facing courtyard gate into street. My question is why was my account suspended when I followed the rules and why can't I speak to a safety team rep.?

Has anyone else had this problem? 

Why didn't the safety team look at my listing before they suspended my account?

Kari

17 Replies 17
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

hello @Kari27 and welcome to ABB CC.

Sorry to read you have got challenges with an outdoor security camera.

Have a look here in CC using related keywords in the search box to see how others have addressed similar issues.

It seems very unfair if it's disclosed to have your listing suspended.

meanwhile if you use Twitter contact ABB that way.

All the best

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Kari27 Unfortunately, this is Airbnb. The host can follow all the rules and comply completely with Airbnb's terms of service and they will still suspend your listing if reported by a guest. Airbnb will conduct their investigation, sometimes without even talking to the host, and then decide how to move forward. 

Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Kari27  I saw both your account and your listings are active. Do you have another account which was deactivated?

I have seen all listings were taken out from hosts but left user account active when there is a reported security camera violation by a guest.

I only have 2 listings. I asked my daughter to look at the IreneHouse Quaint Victorian & she said it didn't come up.

My other one is still listed.

Kari27
Level 3
Sacramento, CA

UPDATE:

The guest that called to complain ** was caught on our camera taking out pillows & blankets to use while waiting in a concert line. He booked for 3 people and brought in 10. Our room is max 4. When I confronted him, via Airbnb email he said he only brought 3 in. When I told him the camera recorded 10 different people and that I was going to charge him for the extra 7, he begged me saying it wasn't his fault, it was the young people he was staying with. So, I compromised and charged him for just 3. He paid the extra rate but, then tells Airbnb safety that I had more then one camera in and out of unit. I DON'T have cameras inside and only one outside that faces street corner and entrance gate. The thread and payment are all through Airbnb. I don't understand why the Airbnb safety rep didn't see the thread and realize this guest is just being vengeful.

Trude0
Level 10
Stockholm County, Sweden

Am curious to see what comes out of this, as I also have cameras, properly mentioned in my ad... 

You should be ok as long as you have them listed and the location of them

So, I was asked by Airbnb security rep to write a letter that I had read the security section of the Airbnb Community Standards and listed it in the house rules. I had already listed it in the house manual as well as posting a picture with description on my page. 

The last letter, sent today, stated "Please note that if we receive another report about recording devices in your listing(s), we may have to take further actions on your account."

I have been reactivated as of today at 10:00PDT.

I'm in the same situation as you. They just suspended my account and I'm so worry. 
I did mention the camera into the house rules but not in the listing because of a lack of knowledge. I didn't even know there was an option to show that a camera was there or didn't even know I had to advertise this in the listing. 

I'm broken I don't know what to do. If I knew about this rule from the beginning I would have immediately mentioned it in the listing as well. 

Sean433
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@Kari27 

Fortunately you have the upper hand here. You have him on an exterior camera (very important to mention that it is an exterior, not interior camera) and you have his confession that the items were taken out. Open and shut case to me. In this case, I would say to the guest, "if you choose to continue to be disruptive and defame my business and name to airbnb, I will take appropriate legal actions for theft and trespassing onto my property as I have abundance of evidence of both such crimes taking place.

Such language would most certainly thwart this idiot to come to his senses and just get lost.

I did tell guest that bring 10 people into a suite that has max 4 he was in violation and when he said he didn't I showed him the outside camera & did he want to review the footage himself. That was in person and he agreed to pay for 3 extra guest. But, after he paid he then called Airbnb and complained, his way of revenge.

I think the same thing happened to me.  I had a terrible guest who smoked in the home, had extra people over without permission, and also had a dog there without permission.  I notified airbnb and she agreed to cover the fees for the extra guests but said she would have to pay the following day.  That day comes and she refused to pay so I cancelled the reservation for violation of house rules.

Then, a couple days later I get a notification that my account is suspended.  I call in and am told there is a privacy violation.  I am then told someone from safety will call me.

I then receive a call and am asked to explain an incident that occurred at the property.  They refuse to explain which guest it involves and what incident.  I tell them I am guessing this is the angry guest, explain that I was told it was a privacy issue and I do have cameras, but only on the exterior parts of the home and I disclose them not only in my things to know section, but the house rules and listing descriptions.  I even mention them in my intro message to guests warning about the no party policy.  They are not hidden and are very obvious.

I've been hosting for 5 years and have never had my account randomly suspended.  I am very concerned my listing is going to be blocked simply because a guest is upset they were thrown out of the listing while refusing to cover the extra charges they caused and agreed to pay.

Same is happening to me and no one will call me back. I’m so upset at them suspending my account without them looking to see I had already disclosed my cameras for the same reason. I’ve been suspended for a week now! What can we do? 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Kari27   This how airbnb operates.  Of course, it would take them 5 minutes to review the listing, see if the cameras were disclosed and read the message thread before taking any punitive action.  But, they will instead, take 1 second, press the button to suspend, and sort it out later.