Sayulita Illness

Darcie9
Level 2
Portland, OR

Sayulita Illness

I am curious when Airbnb is going to acknowledge the rampant illness in Sayulita and force hosts to disclose the known issues with the sewage infrastructure and risks for traveling there (especially with elderly and small children). Learning about it AFTER booking a house for 10 people for a week ($6000ish) and only getting a 50% refund feels really rotten. I don't know who to be more angry with, the hosts for continuing to rent out houses knowing that it isn't a safe place to be or Airbnb for monopolizing on it.

9 Replies 9
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Darcie9   There are many reasons why people get sick here. It could be from the sewage treatment plant issues (which are being worked on), it could be from something they ate, from improper dishwashing in the restaurants, to just a virus that is going around, many of which travelers are already infected with when they fly down, before any symptoms have appeared- it's not like viruses and bacteria observe border crossings. In fact, a large part of the illness here is due to that, as there is not this problem in the low-season. 

There have been parties of tourists come here on vacation who never swam in the ocean, and got sick. Who swam in the ocean every day and none of them got sick. Who ate out every meal and never got sick. Who cooked for themselves at home and got sick. Etc. So it's really hard to pin down. I live here year-round and I never get sick, as I rarely go into town among crowds of people, and seldom eat out.

I do tell my guests that the main beach is not advisable to swim, that I don't trust the cleanliness of the water. I also have charcoal pills on hand and offer them to my guests, and some guests who are hip to that have brought their own. The ones who have taken one in the morning and one at night never got sick.

Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

@Darcie9As travelers, it is incumbent upon each of us to research our destinations. This information is availalbe online - particularly on Trip Advisor. It's a shame that you have had this experience, and that you have lost 50% on cancelling, but truthfully, the responsibility is yours to do your own research - preferably before you make a booking.

@Jennifer1421 the situation there has changed drastically since we made our reservations.

@Darcie9 

Regarding information about the area itself, I would think it's the traveller's responsibility to research the destination. Any sort of public health risk to travellers is easy to identify thru a quick online search so I'm not sure why you think hosts are responsible for YOUR decision in selecting a travel destination. 

I wonder when Airbnb is going to acknowledge the rampant gun violence in the U.S. and force U.S. hosts to disclose risks for travelling to or in certain cities with a high crime rate of gun shootings and gun violence. 

@Jessica-and-Henry0 thanks. Airbnb actually will force a host to refund 100% of any amount paid if the health issue is reported through a source they deem reliable but they couldn't tell me what the source was (it isn't TripAdvisor or reviews made by their own customers on Airbnb.com). When we booked the trip it wasn't a rampant issue. Maybe 1 in 20 posts specifically about not swimming at the beach right in town, vs. today where EVERY SINGLE POST is someone reporting getting sick and they are not even getting in the ocean. Something has changed since we booked, so your post isn't super helpful.  And fortunately the odds of getting shot in the US are nil compared to the odds of getting hospotalized by this illness. 

Anne1468
Level 2
Chicago, IL

We are in the same situation.  This is clearly an extenuating circumstance beyond our control.  We are avid travellers and far from timid...my husband is born and raised in Mexico and even he is concerned.  Airbnb and our hosts priorities clearly lie with money.

@Anne1468  I've spoken with several other Sayulita hosts who have had cancellations because of this and all have been understanding and fully refunded the guests. I'm sorry if you booked with a host who wasn't so forthcoming.

Arnold68
Level 1
Berkeley, CA

what is the current situation re health in sayulita?

@Arnold68  It's only just geting into tourist season, so nothing really to report yet. They have cleaned up the sewage treatment plant- it no longer runs right into the ocean. A lot of what people attribute to health issues here are really just as result of so many tourists coming here- lots of them are sick when they come, though they may not have had any symptoms yet. They're quick to blame it on Sayulita, but that's not always the reality. Things like Norovirus go around, but those things go around all over the world. When you have wedding parties of 50 people coming down in January, the chances that some of them are going to be carrying some sort of common winter flu virus isn't hard to imagine. Then if 15 of those people have booked a house together, they're going to be exposed to more germs than they would be if they stayed in their own home. And of course, bacteria and viruses thrive more easily in a tropical climate.

Also people's lifestyle when they're on vacation here can facilitate getting sick- they drink too much, stay up later than they normally would, get sunburned, neglect to drink enough water. Those things can lower the immune system.

I live here- I never get sick. So that should tell you something. People should take the same precutions they would anywhere outside their own home- wash hands frequently, carry anti-bacterial wipes, eat foods that are cooked, or buy groceries and cook for yourself, peel fruit before eating, soak salad veggies if you're eating in, in the antibacterial soak they sell here, brush your teeth with bottled water, etc. If I eat out, I like to eat places that I know are clean, or where I can actually see the kitchen area. And I've ever gotten sick on street tacos.

One good thing to carry with you when traveling is charcoal pills- I actually keep them on hand for guests. Some of my guests have come equipped with them. One in the morning and one at night as a preventative measure can keep you healthy, at least as far as stomach problems.