Security deposit claim vs bad review

Security deposit claim vs bad review

We rarely have issues with guests causing damage to our homes.  However, we have had a few lately.  Does anyone else have concerns about filing a claim vs getting a bad review from the guest?  We have had to weigh whether to file a claim and get a bad review or absorb the costs and hope for a better review.  The one previous time we had an issue with a guest trashing our home and actually starting a fire which was caught on our COA security cameras, we filed a claim and they ended up giving us a 1 star review and wrecked our standing.   I think it is unfortunate that you can have a guest trash your home and they still get to write a review.   In my opinion, there should be some way to contest a review when a guest causes such issues. How do some of you deal with this issue? 

1 Reply 1
Cheryl389
Level 7
Keyport, NJ

I just go for it, honestly, and ask for whatever I think they owe. If you don't make a claim quickly, such as right after the guest has checked out with corresponding evidence, you are unlikely to win it. If the review is in retribution to you asking for reasonable recovery to your items or damage, you can sometimes get it removed since it does not reflect the truth. I think the claim should be filed with Airbnb and they will look into it. It is what it is, but business is a business and it's not worth it to suffer for damages done by the guests.