Security deposit - does it hurt my ability to rent ?

Natasha36
Level 1
New York, NY

Security deposit - does it hurt my ability to rent ?

1. Does anyone know if it hurts my ability to rent my space if I require a security deposit? 

2. If  I don't require a security deposit and there is damage can I still make a claim? 

Thanks

5 Replies 5
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

1.)  I haven't noticed it hurting my ability to rent.  Plus, do you REALLY want to rent to a person who is adamant about there NOT being a security deposit?  Seems the more unsavory types would be the ones who specifically search out accommodations without a deposit.  This is your home and your business - you'd be crazy NOT to protect it.

2.) You can try.  It's much harder and you will get much more pushback from Airbnb.  Not many hosts are successful in getting claims paid without a security deposit.

Less people rant but trust me I am not renting to anybody who doesn't have enough money to put down a deposit if you don't have enough money to put down a deposit then you don't belong in my home. I have had stuff broken and with the posit with the deposit I was easily able to get it covered. If they can't afford to pay a deposit they shouldn't be in the home. That's just my opinion if he if they pay a deposit they will be really careful with your equipment because they want that money back. If they didn't pay a deposit they could care less about taking care of your stuff

Thanks very much! 

CarlandDiane0
Level 10
San Marcos, TX

@Natasha36, we haven't noticed a drop-off in bookings since we started including the security deposit. But in our listing, we explain what that deposit is and what it isn't. Despite what the term "security deposit" suggests, guests are not charged anything up front; the deposit figure is merely an agreed-upon maximum amount that guests MAY be charged afterward if something unexpected happens during their stay and the property is damaged. We also explain that it's Airbnb's call as to whether the guest is charged for damaging something. We keep the language friendly and conclude with, "Hey, better safe than sorry, right?"

Honestly, Airbnb shouldn't call it a deposit because it's really not. It's really a damage policy.

Wayne9
Level 4
Metairie, LA

I don't think it has hurt my ability to rent and I have always had the damage deposit as part of the reservation.  If someone asks about it, I tell them that it isn't charged initially and I don't even see the damage deposit unless there is a reason to use it.  Airbnb doesn't charge their account for it upfront, so if it's an issue of having to get a refund that may help them understand.  My advice would be to keep it.